2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy and I at work are having an argument on what kind of jellyfish are in the gulf. I say there are several kinds and claims there are only 2 cabbage head and man o war. Also do some man o war stay under water or do they all float on top? Please help us put this argument to rest......

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am sure there are alot more but those are the only two I ever see.The kids love it when I reach down and grab a cabbage head and bean one of them with it.My oldest caught on that they are harmless and hit me in the back of the head while while I was fighting the hardhead of my wife...........I mean life! (hope she don't see that)must have been atleast 6 inches or better.Taxidermist said it will probably make the books. :)

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
Sea Nettle, Lions Mane and Portuguese man-of-war are some of the more dangerous ones in the Gulf of Mexico, so there are in fact more than two!

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
what are those little jelly one's that are about 1" or so and they glow or light up.....Some goof ball throwing a net off the boat docks at Key Allegro one night dumped a bunch out on the deck and I come beebopping down the deck barefoot and stepped right in the middle of them...the whole place lit up blue and my foot was on fire it hurt so bad

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I am no biologist but I would be shocked if there were any less than 25 different types of jellys in the Gulf.

I have seen many diefferent kinds.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
There are probably several dozen kinds of jellyfish in the gulf, but it seems the two most common in the upper TX Gulf coast are Cabbage head and Man-O-War. Do man-o-war only float? I have been stung by tenticles from jellyfish which I never saw. What kind of jellyfish were these?

·
AKA MUNGAM WORC
753 Posts
2 kinds of Jellyfish?

aggiefisher07 said:
A guy and I at work are having an argument on what kind of jellyfish are in the gulf. I say there are several kinds and claims there are only 2 cabbage head and man o war. Also do some man o war stay under water or do they all float on top? Please help us put this argument to rest......
There are two kinds of Jellyfish in Texas waters.TheTexas Longhorn Jellyfish and the Highboot Aggie jellyfish.There are 2 distinct features that set them apart.The Longhorn Jellyfish is known to swim in the clean cool waters of the Hill Country,and feed on National Champion threadfin shad.The Highboot Aggie Jellyfish inhabits the murky waters just down stream from Austin and feed on whatever floats down stream.Ha!ha! JUST HAVING FUN.Hooke'm Horns!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dont knwo if its just me or everyone, but the cabbage head Jelly fish do sting me. Especially if they touch sensitive skin like my upper leg or arm. My hads and forearms are immune it seems though.

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
I've been in the surf where cabbage heads were so thick that I was bumping into them all the time. After a while, I got all slimy around the water line and started stinging. They do sting, but not real bad. The just don't have tentacles. You can pick them up and toss them at your buds, but you have to rotate them so that you aren't picking them up by the bottom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts