2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get into shark fishing and looking for deals on stuff, anyone know bout Jarvis Walker Penn spinning reels??? are they **** or just cheap?

·
Eric Garcia, Premier-Yamaha San Antonio
1,141 Posts
walker

I purchased one cause it was cheap, I ve used it offshore all last year and this year. It has held up pretty good to kings, one sailfish , and numerous other species. The only thing that I dont like is the drag is not very audible for trolling and dosent allow a fine "tuning" for pulling lures. I wouldent say the drag system is that great but it works. I think they are made by penn , mine is a 4 bearing model and has worked well strung w/ 30lb test for the cost.

·
Registered
246 Posts
They aren't the best but they are the best for the price in my opinion. It would catch small sharks but anything 5 ft. or more I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm thx for the replies i may get one just to get me started, i would love to catch any shark even if it is under 5ft, now for the rod hmmmmmmm
May have to get one of these wavewalkers too ... jk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: 'Yup,....

Catfish said:
Ask Surfrat about them , I sold him a larger one last year and not sure if he has commented on it much .. Good or bad ..
Catfish, sold me one last year, I posted several times regarding my experience. Inexpensive and I was surprized with their performance. I have caught many Sharks 5'+ to 6' with the reel,.... I am concerned as was another poster, about the drag, and the drags capability (re: pushing the enevelope), but they are a great value for the $$$$.

;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sportfisher used one as a starter reel as well and landed many fine fish last year including a 5'10" Bull Shark. The reel held up well but I think about 2 years with regular use is max for those reels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts