2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until now 2Cool has been my only reliable source for information on Jamaica Beach. A special thanks to Kenny and his wife for their help with finding out what's going on down there. The Jamaica Beach Improvement Commitee website, http://jamaicabeach.org/hurricane.htm, now has the latest regarding electrical, water and sewer service, as well as debris removal information.`

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just as a head up, water is now on! At least for all the dryland lots and west of the main canal. I am not sure about east of the canal.

·
Registered
738 Posts
They posted and update on the City website.

October 4, 2008 The Jamaica Beach City Hall is back in operation. Our phone service is intermittent, so you may prefer to come in to the office if you cannot reach us by calling 409-737-1142. We are open from Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A curfew remains in effect from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. At this time, our Building Department is issuing permits for storm repairs only. Centerpoint is currently assessing each home in Jamaica Beach. If they deem your structure to be safe for electric service to be restored, it is possible they will do so without a City of Jamaica Beach permit and inspection. If you know that any of your electrical facilities (breaker box, switches, outlets, etc.) received water damage, you will need to have them inspected and/or repaired before electrical service can be restored. The owner must sign the permit application for the electrical repairs, or provide a signed authorization to the contractor. We will need the name and contact information for both the owner and the licensed electrician who will be performing the work. The total permit cost for electrical repairs has been reduced from $90 to $50.
Texas Gas Service is evaluating the gas meter at each residence with natural gas service. If they feel it is safe to do so, your natural gas service may be restored without any action on your part. In some cases, Texas Gas Service may require a safety inspection. If they decline to restore your service for safety reasons, you will then need to have a licensed plumber perform the necessary repairs, and another inspection must be performed afterwards. The owner must sign the permit application for the gas line repairs, or provide a signed authorization to the contractor. We will need the name and contact information for both the owner and the licensed plumber who will be performing the work. The total permit cost for gas line repairs has been reduced from $90 to $50.
Repairs to our wastewater treatment plant's lift stations are in progress. With the exception of a few areas with line damage, located primarily on the beachfront, we hope to have water/sewer service restored within the next two weeks. Unless you are aware of line damage to your property, no action is required on your part for restoration of service.
For a limited time, our debris removal contractor will be making regular runs throughout the city on a daily basis. Since they cannot go on to private property, residents should place all debris as close to the roadway as possible without obstructing traffic. Appliances can also be placed at the street for removal, but please keep them separate from storm debris. FEMA has indicated that a Corps of Engineers assessment must be made before debris removal from the canals can begin.
The late fee has been waived for water bills that were due by September 22nd. If you have already made payment and included the fee, you will have a credit applied to your October 22nd bill.
Municipal Court operations have been suspended until at least October 15th. If you had a court date scheduled in September, you will be sent a notice once your case has been rescheduled. If you do not receive a notice by October 31st, please contact the court office at 409-737-1142. Payments, driving safety course or deferred disposition requests, etc. can be mailed to:
Jamaica Beach Municipal Court5264 Jamaica BeachJamaica Beach TX 77554 Mail service to the city was started again on October 1st.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Guys I just wanted to throw this out there in case some of you can help. If you have any treated lumber or pilings in your debris, I sure could use them. PM me if you have any on your property. I'll come down and grab it as soon as I can. I know they're getting after it on the debris removal, so time is my enemy. We lost all our lumber, our dock and porches too. So we really need anything usable you might be able to save for us. Better to have it used and loved again than let it go into a landfill. - Sandy

·
Registered
875 Posts
To day was my day to feel sorry for myself. Been shoring up, taking the hits, meeting the adjusters, getting the debris removed, shoveling glass, taking inventory, finally am in a dry, a/c place, ate the 'thank you all that fed me from the Salvation Army', sweated, amazed, dealt with the 'skeeters and biting flys, realized I dont have a house under my place, worked to get things in shape, the 3 decks cut up and to the curb, reached out to my friends that are in worse shape then me, offered and helped those that needed a hand, cooked for those that dont have the means, got tooth paste and tooth brushes to those that lost theirs, got the electric in line, a bid from the plumber, drove more miles than I should, got the tire fixed that got flat, sweated, worried, made dinner for my husband and I, had the opportunity to do laundry, called all those that rescued me the last couple of weeks and... hoped for the best, got the mail, took puppy to the vet (she got sick), got a mum plant, and then... I listened to Judy Collins. I finally broke down. The cry did me good.

Thanks for listening.

Life is a trip, and each thing I've been given, well, its made me stronger.

I will miss the boat tho, it was the escape. Glad to have those memories. On to the next best memories.

sb:>

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Piledriver said:
Just as a head up, water is now on! At least for all the dryland lots and west of the main canal. I am not sure about east of the canal.
My was was on Sunday as well, that is until they came around that afternoon and cut it off. Apparently the pump station was overflowing. Also, I was trying to figure out what I had to do to get my power back on when my next door neighbor came over and said his was on so we gave mine a try and lo' and behold I had power. Did not have to get the city permit or anything. He said the city took down all the meters last week and then came back to inspect the electrical on each house. If the inspector deemed it OK the put the meter back up and turned on the juice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts