2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going back today to see if we have any city services. trying to get accurate information has been frustrating. last night i found out that the city wants to charge the residents a $15 permit fee plus a $35 inspection fee before electricity can be restored. in addition you will have to hire a electrician to inspect your home before the city inspection. i can understand the concern if meter or breaker box was submerged. i am sure those homeowners whos were submerged, will get them checked,such as my parents ect... to charge the residents on this town these fees is just plain wrong. i have spoke to many residents (full time) and they don't have the extra money to spend. they are just trying to survive. i have spoken to the jbic about this and today i will let city hall officals know how i feel. with the exception of our fire and police the city leaders have dropped the ball with lack of information ect... capt. david

·
01 Fatty
447 Posts
That sounds like part of the Bail Out plan...
I hopr these city officials stub their toe on a Hard Head fin!
Good fishin...

·
Build It and They Will Come.............
1,660 Posts
Here in Bayou Vista we've had to pull all electrical that was surmerged and go through an inspection to show it was done before CP would set the new meters, but no one was charged for the inspection.

Sounds like ya'll need some new people in office around there.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
They are not turning on electricity on the rest of the west end if your breaker box got submerged. My place was built in the late '50s or early '60s and the breaker box was in the storeroom below the house. I am having it replaced and moved up into a bedroom so they will turn on the juice. Otherwise, it would have to be inspected and tagged by a licensed electrician before they will turn on the electricity.

Houses that have the breaker boxes up in the house where they would not have been submerged have had their electricity turned on.

GY

Reactions: Hooked Up

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I had an electrician go to my house today to inspect my breaker box and he said that my meter had been removed and was laying on the ground. He saw the same thing on the homes near mine and he said it appears that the city had taken down the meters. I've been trying to call the JB city hall to see what I need to do to get hooked back up, because my breaker box was in good condition, but have yet to get thru to anyone. Anybody have any idea what's going on there?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I was in city hall today, you do need to go into city hall and fillout a building permit to have the electrial panel imspected. The fee is in fact 50 dollars. They are giving one day turn arounds on all permits associated with repair and electric service associated with Ike

While the 50 bucks sucks I do understand the need to get it inspected. As for the phone, phone service has not been restored in Jamaica Beach though they are working on it. As they are on our well pumps. It is estimated we should have water in about a week.

·
Registered
875 Posts
On that note,. you can submit that to all of your ins people, someone will pay you for it, it is not something you would not have in a normal day have done. Go that route, see what they will do for you. I sure would hate for you to have your house burn down over $50.00, especailly if your ins co will pay for it. Dont be one of those penny foolish, pound .....

use your good sense.

However our city government are really not in tune and we are with out leadership. Well it works okay if we got a party going on at the park. Me personally, get me water, electcity and sewage. We needed this in place way before today. I'm way disappointed and angry that I feel with all of the taxes I've paid.. I am left high and dry.

sb:>

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
What Pile driver said. I called Centerpoint and they will not install a new meter until the electrical has been repaired and inspected. I makes sense when you think about it. With no water, all it would take is one fire because of bad wiring to burn down half a block.

I needed 3 permits. Electrical, natural gas, everything else. The $50 is the same as it has always been and JB has always been pretty anal about permits and inspections. In times like this it's a pain, but in the long run, the right way to do it.

The city has lots of extra repairs and expense to absorb right now and the property owners are going to pay for it one way or another. They could waive the fees, but we would just have to make it up in increased property taxes. It's got to be paid for, and I doubt a small village like JB has millions sitting around with nothing else to spend it on.

On edit: I was frustrated because I couldn't get in touch with them via phone or email. I went in Tuesday and they were very nice and informative. They said the phone system was acting up and was barely usable. Same with the email and internet. Their provider was working on it, but they are as frustrated as we are.

On the good side, they were the first to get us onto the island, the trash pickup is proceeding at a very good clip. We were the first on the West end to actually have electric ready to go. And the LEO presence and patrols have been exceptional.

I for one think our City leaders have done a credible job given their limited resources and the scale of the problems.

·
Infidel
3,523 Posts
$50 bucks seems like a small price to pay to insure all utilities are up to code and ready to go. Seems like a small price to pay for peace of mind. Look on the positive side of things....

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if this is your second home i quess you can afford the extra money. i can't and none of my electrical plugs,switches, or meter got water in them. like i said in my post i am sure those that did will get them taken care of. get this they are trying to charge a 10 late fee for not paying the water bill on time! maybe the mayor should have gone to washington asking for federal funds with mayor thomas and white. some people already have power in jb and no inspection fee was needed.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I have had power at our house since Tuesday. We had no water damage to our electric service so my wife just called CenterPoint/Reliant last week and got a reconnect work order.
We didn't pay the city squat. After this is all over and the Mayor, City manager, and council are back, I'll be the first guy at the meeting. There is NO excuse in the 21st. century not to have the city phones transfered to an off-site service and a decent website with daily news releases or at least SOME information. The way this has been handled is not acceptable!

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kenny they meet today at 10am. i gave our mayor and city secretary an earful yesterday! gonna try what you did today. will be back in jb today.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Piledriver said:
I was in city hall today, you do need to go into city hall and fillout a building permit to have the electrial panel imspected. The fee is in fact 50 dollars. They are giving one day turn arounds on all permits associated with repair and electric service associated with Ike

So for $50 the city will inspect and approve that my breaker box is OK, I do not have to hire an electrician myself? Also, do you know if there is a way around having to go to city hall for the permit? Kinda hard to get down there during the week when you have a job!

·
Registered
738 Posts
rjc1982 said:
Piledriver said:

So for $50 the city will inspect and approve that my breaker box is OK, I do not have to hire an electrician myself? Also, do you know if there is a way around having to go to city hall for the permit? Kinda hard to get down there during the week when you have a job!
Yes that is the way they explained it, of course if you have damage to the system you will need to have it repaired first. The following link will take you to the PDF for the form. I am sure you can mail it, but I really think it wont get there for awhile if you do. You can have someone else bring it in though. Several people were submitting forms for their neighbors.

http://www.ci.jamaicabeach.tx.us/Forms/Bldg-BuildingZoningApp.pdf

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Thanks for the info Piledriver. 2Cool has been the only source of info for JB that I can rely on since the storm.

·
PETA & LIBS let Obama eat dogs.
4,471 Posts
Meters are at eye level-they did go underwater!!!

Our electric meters are at eye level-I don't know of any above eye level-they are that way so the meter reader can see it without walking upstairs. With the 6-7' foot surge, I believe ALL meters went under water, so you must get a new meter box (my family has 3 houses at JB and every one of our meters went under so I do not understand that someone's did not-two are full timers-I am a commuter with an apt in Houston to save time/money commuting to and from JB)-maybe your breaker box did not, but certainly your meter did and as such, it must be replaced-my meter is broken-glass busted when wall came out, yet meter and meter box are in place and yes I will replace the meter box and my breaker box-I do not want my house to burn down due to corrosion and then heating wire and then fire.

Capt David-I doubt your meter didn't go under water and I believe if it did and you don't replace your meter and meter box, you are creating a fire hazard to not only yourself and your house but your neighbor's houses as well because there is no water to put the fire out. Also, I guess you have no switches or outlets downstairs on the first/ground level, because if you did, they got soaked and are a fire hazard whether you think so or not-corrosion will occur and may not show up for a few weeks or months, but it will and your house may go up in smoke, so take the time and effort and replace the outlets and switches ($0.79/switch at Home Depot). Mayor Vic Pierson-he let us in when Mayor Thomas (very wealthy and a Kempner) didn't let folks in. Vic's got my applause and appreciation and did a heck of a job letting us in. As far as the "Late" charge, contact them and they should waive it, unless you are nasty to them or have been consistently late-they have done that for me before and, under the circumstances, they likely will for you. Good luck and hope all works out for all of us. It has been tough on us all, but the small expenses are sometimes needed. Yes I don't like paying taxes and fees, but it is done for a reason-to pay for the services we have being a city inside a big city-look at the Villages in Houston-high taxes and mean cops-same for JB, but at least we don't have as many thefts as other subdivisions in Galveston-Barney Fife can be an *****, but he does save us from most thieves (except the lowlife scumbags that come down the canals in yaks/boats at night and steal our rods and reels-better not let my 9mm catch your butt in my boathouse or POW!). I wish he'd stop the speeders along FM 3005 instead of ticketing us JB residents along Bob Smith and elsewhere-38 mph in a 30mph zone is a bit too much and littering tickets for tossing a cig butt isn't right either.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jamaica cove NONE OF MY PLUGS, LIGHT SWITCHS, OR METER WENT UNDER WATER! you need to know what you are talking about before making a post. if you believe your meter, switches , plugs, breakers are alright(not wet) there is no need for a permit. centerpoint will turn on your power. are you saying our policemen are mean? if you are throwing out cig butts and speeding you should get a ticket! know what the hell you are talking about before making a stupid post! for your info only had 46 inches of water under house! i have never been late on any bill!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Capt dave you must live on the highest point in Jamaica Beach as we took minimum 12-13 feet (with wave action) of water as it did enter through smashed entry way. The neighbor 3 doors down had cedar siding smashed in at the same level. I sure wish I had had only 46 inches of water.

By the way I am not trying to say you didnt get 46 inches, I just didnt know Jamaica Beach had any high ground.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
yes our elevation is the highest in jb. no wave action only i house on block lost its walls downstairs. all my electrical stuff downstairs is high. my neighbor 2 house down was there for alicia. he came and said that in 83 only 2 ft of water downstairs, this storm almost 4 ft. on our block. kenny lives 2 streets south of me. read his post. no electrical damage. i did have more debris in my yard than anyone on my block.

·
Registered
875 Posts
David, you know me, I know you, we are personal friends. I dont like to have to say this but I will, would you please quit your complaining? Sorry that you have your problems, but you know what, that's just a small thing compared to the many that are out there and many without having a home to go home to. You are in a good place, sorry its not home, well you know what, you are not alone. You have stepped on my last nerve, and you know that I love you and yours A LOT. Would you please just get off your soap box and look around you. There are a lot of people in a lot worse place right now. I'd be a lot more impressed if you were humping it to help others get into their places, asking for money to rebuild or help with their unexpected rent, find their loved ones, give a displaced dog/cat a home then listening to you ***** about poor you. For St. Pete's, give it a break, find a solution, dont add to the problem.

Just a thought.

sb:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts