2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hoping to keep some spare change
1,410 Posts
According to this article, yes.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=3fa30bf51dc1e7db

However, they did say on KTRH tonight that it was still uncertain if they would allow JB residents to cross the causeway. The JB mayor wants people back, though. Good luck getting in. I'm very thankful that our leadership at Tiki has let us back on to begin the recovery. THANK YOU CHARLIE!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, jeffscout. We're going to try it this morning. I'll try and update this with a report upon our return. Good luck to all!

Wayne

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Guess I'll wait since I'm still in San Antonio. I guess I need to get back that way sometime next week.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
They announced today that the checkpoints at the causeway were allowing JB residents to pass. The Galveston press conference today also said the island will be opened up next Wednesday to all residents, but west end folks were on a "look and leave" basis only. Be sure to bring a water bill, it is a good proof of residency.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
I just got back. Didn't have any problem getting there. All you need is your DL and a water bill.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
How was the traffic? I am planning to head down tomorrow but will be getting a late start due to a morning meeting with the insurance adjuster.

·
Registered
182 Posts
JB Pics from Friday 9-19-08

Managed to make it down to JB yesterday. I had told myself I was going to take as many pics as I could but you find yourself getting consumed with how much power the storm had. We sat there and wondered where everything went. As some has said your expectations should be that your ground floor and everything there is gone. If you have more than nothing on the ground floor consider yourself lucky. It is going to take a while for us to clean up and get back to normal.

http://s399.photobucket.com/albums/pp71/West_Bay_Wader/Jam%20Beach%201/?albumview=grid

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
We got to the check point right at 6:00 and there was a lot of traffic due to all the power and work crews coming onto the island. It took about 20 minutes to clear the check point. They move it along pretty well.

When we left the island about noon, there was hardly any line at all.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The traffic was not at all bad today. I was able to take care of some basic important things and was back at my sister's in Sugarland by 1:00. I posted a new thread with pics (before and after) of my place. Take care all.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
kenny said:
Guess I'll wait since I'm still in San Antonio. I guess I need to get back that way sometime next week.
Kenny, I'm heading down tomorrow. Let me know where your place is and I will check it out and report back to you.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
West Bay Wader said:
Managed to make it down to JB yesterday. I had told myself I was going to take as many pics as I could but you find yourself getting consumed with how much power the storm had. We sat there and wondered where everything went. As some has said your expectations should be that your ground floor and everything there is gone. If you have more than nothing on the ground floor consider yourself lucky. It is going to take a while for us to clean up and get back to normal.

[url="http://s399.photobucket.com/albums/pp71/West_Bay_Wader/Jam%20Beach%201/?albumview=grid"]http://s399.photobucket.com/albums/pp71/West_Bay_Wader/Jam%20Beach%201/?albumview=grid
Great job and thanks for the pics. But it looks like you got every house except for mine!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pics

rjc1982 said:
Great job and thanks for the pics. But it looks like you got every house except for mine!
Sorry about that. I really had the intention of getting as many houses as I could. But I guess I was taken over by the enormity of the mess and didn't get as many shot as I would like before we had to get out for the curfew. I did leave 2 12 packs of of cold beer for the fire department / police etc.. who are camping out at city hall. The power crews are getting busy down there and we were told that we should get power and water soon. For some reason though they expect the east part of JB to be much later in getting water than the west. Power further out West is going to take a lot more time. As a prior poster noted the new poles on 3005 held up very well during the storm.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
West Bay Wader said:
Sorry about that. I really had the intention of getting as many houses as I could. But I guess I was taken over by the enormity of the mess and didn't get as many shot as I would like before we had to get out for the curfew. I did leave 2 12 packs of of cold beer for the fire department / police etc.. who are camping out at city hall. The power crews are getting busy down there and we were told that we should get power and water soon. For some reason though they expect the east part of JB to be much later in getting water than the west. Power further out West is going to take a lot more time. As a prior poster noted the new poles on 3005 held up very well during the storm.
Of course the east side will be later getting water, my place is over there on Trinidad Way! Hey, I was just joking about the pics of my place. I'll be checking it out tomorrow. Thanks for the report.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
So it sounds like this is a good time to go if you are a Jamaica Beach person, since they are not letting Galveston people in, which keeps the lines at the causeway down?

It looks to me like they are allowing any Jamaica Beach property owner in...not just actual residents. Can someone confirm for me that they will let you in with a water bill or other documents, even if your drivers license has a Houston address?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Jam Beach Access

They saw my Jamaica Beach property owners window sticker and did not ask any other questions. Put a J mark on the windshield. Some got both a J and a B mark on their windshield. This was as of Sunday ~1:30pm. It will get wild Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
When I hit the checkpoint at the causeway Sunday they just asked where I was headed. I told the Jamaica Beach and they let me thru, did not ask for any ID or proof of property onwership, had all utility bills just in case. The second checkpoint was it the end of the seawall and same thing, no request for ID or proof of property ownership. Final checkpoint was in Jamaica Beach and again I sailed right thru.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts