2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what you guys think as to how necessary a jackplate is for fishing Texas bays?
I'm in the market for a used boat, nothing fancy, just wanna get out on the water to my wading holes and to some back lakes and mid-bay destinations.

I've found a lot of boats i'm interested in but most do not have a jackplate and i don't want to spend $1k or whatever it costs to add one.
I fish w/several guys w/boats and some say no its not necessary and some say they wouldn't be w/out one.
I'll make no bones about it i'll be fishing East Matagorda and its back bays and shorelines and reefs 95% of the time, the other 5% maybe chocolate bay area and all those back lakes.
Thanks for your opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,723 Posts
If you are going to be running nothing but deep open bays, then I would say that you would not need one. Now that you said that you would be fishing back bays, I would say Yes you may need one. Not sure what kind of boats you are looking at but it sure is nice to have when you need one.

Capt. Dustin Lee
Fish'N Addiction Guide Service
[email protected]
www.TexasBigFish.com

Team Brown Lures
Team Mosca Boats
Team AMP Lures



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looking for a Kenner/Bluewave type boat but not limited to that. Will consider the 'skinny' boats too...
 

·
Excel, it's easy to be average
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
Suggest you reconsider going into the less than 18 inch deep shallow back lakes and shutting the boat down without using a shallow draft boat that has a jackplate and a trolling motor or a pushpole.

Charles
 

·
Roll Tide!
Joined
·
15,791 Posts
Based on where you say you will do most of your fishing, it sounds like a JP will come in real handy. I fish mostly west Galveston Bay. I don't have a tunnel, but do have a JP and it is a necessity to get in and out of some of my favorite places coves and shorelines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
I have one on my Boatright, keep it set where I think I get the best overall performance most of the time, and when I need to run skinny I can get real skinny and not think twice about it......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
No one has really addressed the real issue here and that being whether or not the boat/s in question has tunnel hull or not.

See no real need for a JP if the boat doesnt have a tunnel hull personally. The benifits of a JP on a v or mod v hull are minimal and do not warrant the cost IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
wolverine said:
Sounds like i'll probably get one...
The best price I found in our area for a brand new jackplate has been Busha's Boats in Bay City. Not sure if the lady misquoted me or what, but she said a 6" Bobs installed would be $800. I thought they were that price brand new, anyways I'll be purchasing one within the next month or so. Good luck.

Collin C.
 

·
Roll Tide!
Joined
·
15,791 Posts
Michael Dill said:
No one has really addressed the real issue here and that being whether or not the boat/s in question has tunnel hull or not.

See no real need for a JP if the boat doesnt have a tunnel hull personally. The benifits of a JP on a v or mod v hull are minimal and do not warrant the cost IMHO.
As the owner of a modified V-hull with a jack plate, I have to respectfully disagree.

There are three main benefits to my setup.

1) In the standard mounting position on the transom, my LU hangs down 11" below the bottom of the hull. The minimum running depth on plane like this is about 18". With the jack plate all the way up. I can scoot through 12" with no problems. I do have a cav plate though.

2) The optimum running height for efficiency in my boat is 2" high.

3) With the JP all the way up, I can easily get on plane in 18". With the motor set in the standard position, I need at least 30".

I'm not saying that my boat will outperform a tunnel in these situations, but the JP does let me get in and out of a lot of places I couldn't even think about without one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I will give you that those benefits are valid. I guess that my point of view is that of seeing most boats as "use specific".

To each there own and whatever works for ya is good for ya cause its all about what makes you happy.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top