2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
jacks /offatt bayou galveston 06/15/06

06/15/06 high tide was at 1030 am so I decided to fish the Galveston bridge at 7 am. After 1 hr with no luck I got frustrated and puzzled . I decided to fish the mouth of offatts bayou. Saw a guy fishing the channel and could not see his boat. So I asked him how he got there. To my amazement he had walked there wow. I scratched my head and told him that below me is a fast current and depth is 8 ft. Few minutes later he hooked up with a 35 inch plus jack that was released. He was using piggy perch with no weight on the line. He caught it opposite side of channel. I managed to catch a 16 inch red 3 keeper trout while drifting using pop and cork. After 11 am all I could catch was hard head . Few small trout were released also. Since I fish weekdays and never see anybody on the water, I decided to give exact location. May be you can catch that jack.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
thanks for the report. Jacks are not uncommon this time of year in offats. I've also seen spanish mack, sharks, and tarpon there. Deep water and lots of bait.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i caught a mack also , you know you have a mack when your line gets cut off in a sec. caught a shark before and tarpon never heard of .. i caught several lady fish who look like and act like tarpon but they are in a 20 inch range . tarpon can get up to 200lb if i am correct. lady fish is a minuture tarpon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts