2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
E-mail...

My kids, 11 and 13 and been on me to get them an e-mail addy for months now. I finally set them up with one last night and they are on pace to fill up my inbox by the end of the day...lol

I know it has that "new car" feel to it right now and I'm enjoying going back and forth wth them for a least a couple of days or so.

Gotta love em'...

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I do not know if the new wears off or not. Both of my boys 10 and 12 have their own laptops ( they worked and paid for 1/2 and I paid for 1/2) I get emails daily from both of them. I also seem to get bombarded with IM's from time to time. I have to tell them to let me work sometimes. They recently took a trip with my wife for about 3 weeks to OHIO to see her family and the boys emailed me daily from their laptops. I enjoyed reading them. It does seem to open up another line of communication.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Even with the spam blockers in place in get a bunch of stuff I don't want mine seeing in my own box.

What do you guys do to prevent that? My oldest son is 10 and is asking also.

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
troy merrill said:
Even with the spam blockers in place in get a bunch of stuff I don't want mine seeing in my own box.

What do you guys do to prevent that? My oldest son is 10 and is asking also.
For now I'll have to keep close tabs on it but Yahoo mail has pre-teen, teen, teen mature and full access settings.

I'll get back in a couple of weeks and see how it all works.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All I can think to do is just monitor them and let them know not to look at it... Get there passwords and check there mail and delete what you can before they see it. I check the history all the time on what my boys are looking at... I IM with my wife all the time... I love it... she can't see my eye rolling...LOL

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Our kids are set up on Kids Aol. Have not had any problems with the junk. The kids get very filtered emails. No unknowns. Only friends and family and requested emails make it through. They get 3 to 5 emailsa day. We also get daily reports sent to our Email with every site they have been too. I like that alot. We have alot of parental controls/ blocks on them. They have been set up for about 6 months with no issues, not once.

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SpeckReds said:
Our kids are set up on Kids Aol. Have not had any problems with the junk. The kids get very filtered emails. No unknowns. Only friends and family and requested emails make it through. They get 3 to 5 emailsa day. We also get daily reports sent to our Email with every site they have been too. I like that alot. We have alot of parental controls/ blocks on them. They have been set up for about 6 months with no issues, not once.
Sounds very similar to the Yahoo one. It can be set up to get a report card of activities for the day...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I worked in dial up for while and i had a lady call in about all the filters and what not that we offered, I asked her how old her child was and she said, i don't have any children, i am going out of town and my husband gets on the **** and gambling sites.... UUUUMMM OK.... LOL

one thing about the kids and the filters is if they are smart enough they can change the setting and still get around them. So monitor, monitor, monitor.. Just like the smoking ads, just talk to them and let them know if you find something there will be H E double hockey sticks to pay.... LOL Just my .02..

·
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rllenos said:
I worked in dial up for while and i had a lady call in about all the filters and what not that we offered, I asked her how old her child was and she said, i don't have any children, i am going out of town and my husband gets on the **** and gambling sites.... UUUUMMM OK.... LOL

one thing about the kids and the filters is if they are smart enough they can change the setting and still get around them. So monitor, monitor, monitor.. Just like the smoking ads, just talk to them and let them know if you find something there will be H E double hockey sticks to pay.... LOL Just my .02..
Ultimately nothing makes up for good ole supervision. It's our responsibility to be "in there business".

·
Banned
835 Posts
LOL, my 6 almost 7 year old nephew has a cell phone (I know, I know) and he calls my bro in law all the time at work and tells him about his video games, etc.

Gotta love em!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts