2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Men , I Hit 50 Hours Overtime At 7:00 Am. Today.we Got The Worst Of The Damage Covered As Of Today In Anderson County.there's Still Alot Of People Without Power In Other Places.i Have One More Long Night Of This Mess And Then I'll Be On Break. " No Rest For The Weary".i Hope I Can Get Back On Here And Catch Up With The Latest News Later In The Week.

·
Registered
728 Posts
It's a terrible way to make money... cleaning up after a disaster, but I know you're earning every penny. When Isabel hit here, we had line crews from all over the eastern United States working sun up to sun down, with survey crews working all night to assess damage so that they could prioritize the daytime work and restore everyone's power as efficiently as possible. The company I work for sent 200 men to Florida after the first major storm, and they were waiting to see where the need was the greatest before sending more folks to help restore power to those without.... I haven't heard anything since Friday... fortunately for me, I work in "generation" not distribution, so they keep me home when things get bad outside...

The folks who were in the path of Ivan have been in our prayers, and they will continue to be. There are a lot of people who are a lot luckier than they know.... they were spared this time, and I hope they learned the lesson in a storm of this magnitude. Stuff can be replaced. The important things in our lives aren't how many toys we accumulate, it's the people around us that matter. The storm doesn't care if you're a Jew, Muslim, Christian or heathen.... it will take everything in it's way and smash it... so get out while there's time and take the people you care about with you... buy good insurance, and let the insurance company build you a new house... If you live in the sticks like I do, get a generator and wait patiently until the linemen turn the power feed back on... it can take weeks...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Hawkeye Isabel Was Nasty Too.i Spent 2 Weeks In Roanoke Island.they Sent Us Up There To Help On That Also.i Guess I've Been To Most Of The Major Storms To Help With Power Restortion.i Guess The Only One I Missed Was Andrew.

G

·
God Bless You!

MUDHOLE KID said:
Well Men , I Hit 50 Hours Overtime At 7:00 Am. Today.we Got The Worst Of The Damage Covered As Of Today In Anderson County.there's Still Alot Of People Without Power In Other Places.i Have One More Long Night Of This Mess And Then I'll Be On Break. " No Rest For The Weary".i Hope I Can Get Back On Here And Catch Up With The Latest News Later In The Week.
Think of it as pennies saved in the "Good Karma" jar. May the rainy day never come when you have to withdraw it. But it has to feel good to know that you are well onto the plus side. Like real finances, too many of us are far into debt. - You can't do wrong by doing good!

·
Registered
728 Posts
We cheered the efforts of our out of state line crews. There were a lot of people who were critical of the decision to work linemen during the daytime, and survey crews at night, believing that the restoration effort would have taken less time if we split crews and worked around the clock. Dominion made a decision based on safety of the crews, believing that the restoration would not in fact have been significantly faster with 24 hour repair.... The limiting factor seemed to be the availability of utility poles... there were over 10,000 broken poles... probably a lot more, as I can't recall exactly... and I suspect that will be the case in the path of Ivan... lots of broken line poles.. lots of downed trees that will have to be removed... tens of thousands of trees were burned here.... I know folks who have hundreds of trees down and they can't give them away, even for firewood... one guy offered to cut, split and DELIVER wood and he still couldn't give it away...

You be careful. Don't take any chances with your life and keep a close eye on your co-workers to make sure they do the same. We all like our power turned back on quickly, but nobody wants to hear about folks getting hurt to get the work done. We had a pole break and seriously injure a few men during Isabel recovery. There was another man who fell from height, and I'm sure several more who were injured that I never heard about... so please be very careful, and rest when you need to... Safety first and no heroism...

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Hey Mudhole Kid...

Roanoke Island ,at a different time and circumstances,is the doorstep to one of the finest fishing areas and most picturesque places on earth,Hatteras Island...Thanks for all you did out there and the other spots hit,lately.I know last fall,we were out of power,water,etc. for 3 1/2 days,after a big blow...the VEPCO,Mecklenburg Electric Coop.,and the "calvary to the rescue"caravans from other states, were like Santa comin' with presents...Grown folks were about to pee in their pants at the sight of the cherry pickers comin' down the street.You don't realize our many convenient ways of livin',until they're gone.Thank all of ya'll for your long hrs. and hard work!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts