2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bigfost came with me this morning to jig for white bass, but before he got here I tested the bulkhead bite. As I have been reading some good reports and saw the shad start to gather around Beacon Bay getting ready to bust on into the boat slpis and spawn.
I caught some shad in 9' FOW,( I didn't see any on the bulkhead and didn't think I would after the cold snap,) went to my spot.
Bam! Bam! Bam! ....I lost three good ones in a row lol!
Then I land five, and loose five, three at the boat!
I can see it's solid on if they bite like that after the cold snap
Bigfost and I caught and released a metric ton of white bass, all on those internationally known, and revered, DuckTracker slabs.
I fish the 3/4 ounce Reaper and pretty much tie one on until it breaks off, sometimes a week or two, sometimes the first drop.
The average would be a week or more because some I tie on and they just have staying power for some reason and last a long time.
That's because the hooks and quality of the split ring will let one get hammered a thousand times a day for weeks and still bring fish to the boat.

Come fishing on The Wild Frontier and catch some blue cats and white bass, the lake is good for both right now.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The cold, strong north wind tried its best to discourage us, but we were too stubborn to give in. Loy proved once again why he's the best guide on LL. Even given tough conditions he works hard until he finds fish.

Thanks for another great trip buddy.

BTW, I "forgot" again to return your jig. Another few trips and I'll have quite a selection. :cool:

·
Registered
14,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hit and miss on the cats, but the white bass are going be great all summer.
Give em a day or two, a week at the most and the bulkheads cats will be crazy good.
Brian and I caught five this morning, but did lose two at the boat.
Lots of gasper gou to stretch your line.

·
Registered
14,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Half a double down this morning, it was too rough for me to want to stop and catch and release white bass, but they were there on the screen when I cruised over the hot spot for them.
14 good blue cats, several nice ones. Big fish was 10 pounds two ounces, and caught on a light weight spinning rod.
I donated them at the fish house.
Some mean, hard fighting gasper gasper gous livened up things a time or too as well.

Attachments

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,892 Posts
Half a double down this morning, it was too rough for me to want to stop and catch and release white bass, but they were there on the screen when I cruised over the hot spot for them.
14 good blue cats, several nice ones. Big fish was 10 pounds two ounces, and caught on a light weight spinning rod.
I donated them at the fish house.
Some mean, hard fighting gasper gasper gous livened up things a time or too as well.

·
Registered
14,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The wind has interfered with fishing more the last month than it has in a long time.
We had a lot of really high wind too. It really only interrupts getting out to fish and your comfort while fishing.
The wind drives those cats and white bass into feeding frenzies, it's getting to and staying on them that's rough.
Lately when the wind gets up it's been gusting to 30 mph and more making it very unsafe to go out.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Thats a big ole mean looking gou fish!!!!!!

I haven't been in so long I'm ashamed of myself. I have got to get out soon.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Some of my best whitebass days were windy and rough.
Loy’s rule -3 over the bow and we go! Quote from fishing with him and my oldest daughter years ago. Killing the fish!

·
Registered
14,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup that wind can really drive a bite on those white bass, today was a good example, especially after the windless struggle yesterday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts