2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Implications of Tetelestai

The implications of Jesus' words on the cross are eternally positive for those who repent and receive Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior--by the grace of God alone, through faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone. However, the implications of Jesus' words on the cross are eternally negative for any organization or individual who seeks to add to, detract from, or replace not only Jesus' words on the cross, but also the work He accomplished to the glory of God the Father.

Every man-made religion and each of their faithful adherents stand, right now, in the cross-hairs of God's wrath. "For he whom God has sent utters the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure. The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand. Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him" (John 3:34-36).

Roman Catholicism denies the efficacy of Jesus' finished work on the cross through the practice and observance of the mass. During the mass, through the unbiblically magical art of transubstantiation (Jesus literally becoming the bread and the wine), Jesus must sacrifice Himself again and again for sin.

Jehovah's Witnesses deny the efficacy of Jesus' finished work on the cross by denying Christ died on the cross and by insisting one must be a member of the Watchtower Society and obey the Law of God to receive their demonic brand of salvation.

Mormonism denies the efficacy of Jesus' finished work on the cross by adding their perceived righteousness and works to their ungodly salvation process. According to 2 Nephi 25:23, in the Book of Mormon, salvation is by grace, plus works. "For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

Islam denies the efficacy of Jesus' finished work on the cross by seeing Jesus as nothing more than a prophet, second to their false prophet Muhammad. They also believe it was Judas (a treacherous false convert), not Jesus, who died on the cross.

But the implications of Jesus' words on the cross extend beyond false religions and into American Evangelicalism.

Some churches deny the efficacy of Jesus' finished work on the cross by spending time and resources wooing the unsaved to the "Christian Club" instead of calling them to repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Oh, how many times I have heard the testimonies of professing Christians--testimonies that culminate with happy membership at a church and not with the bending of the knee, in repentance and by faith, at the foot of the cross.

Some churches deny the efficacy of Jesus' finished work on the cross, diminishing the gospel as the power of God for salvation, by insisting Jesus and the gospel need the help of man's innovation and perceived ability to make the gospel more palatable. This is demonstrated through gimmicks, sales pitches, bait and switch tactics, and playing to the primal desires of health, wealth, prosperity, ease, comfort, and happiness without accountability.

Some churches deny the efficacy of Jesus' finished work on the cross by teaching unbiblical mantras such as:
  • "Christians have to earn the right to share the gospel with someone."
  • "Unbelievers need to see Jesus in you before they will hear what you have to say."
  • "People need to hear more than ‘Jesus can forgive your sins and give you eternal life.’ They need help with the real problems they're facing today."
Some churches deny the efficacy of Jesus' finished work on the cross by failing to distinguish service, helps, and hospitality from evangelism, which is the actual and literal presentation of the gospel of Jesus Christ to those who are lost and bound for Hell.

And the list goes on...

When Jesus said, "It is finished," He meant it. He actually meant what He said. He really meant it. For any group or any individual to add or detract from Christ's words or finished work, regardless of the religious stripes they wear, is the height of arrogance and the depth of depravity

By Tony Miano

http://carm.org/it-is-finished

·
Beneath the Blood stained Lintel
226 Posts
Acts 2:29-36

29 “Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 Therefore, being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that of the fruit of his body, according to the flesh, He would raise up the Christ to sit on his throne,[a] 31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses. 33 Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.
34 “For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself:
‘The Lord said to my Lord,
“Sit at My right hand,
35 Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.”’[b]

36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

Philippians 2:5-11

The Humbled and Exalted Christ

5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. 9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

·
226 Posts
Hebrews 1:1-4

New King James Version (NKJV)

God’s Supreme Revelation

1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself[a] purged our[b] sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4 having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
What happened to that old fashioned 2nd commandment that said something like.."Love thy neighbor as thyself"..???

...or is that just out of style now ?

·
Banned
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What happened to that old fashioned 2nd commandment that said something like.."Love thy neighbor as thyself"..???

True love entails speaking the whole truth. Why would you deceive someone you love?

·
226 Posts

What is love? If you see your child about to put his or her hand on a red hot stove, do you let them or pop their hand and tell them they will hurt themselves very badly if they continue and touch it. You have to speak the truth in love to save them from eternal damnation sometimes. People tend to forget that God is not only a God of love but also of Justice. There are consequences to ones actions.

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
I'm not sure where I lost track here.. The OP seemed to be implying that Catholicism, Mormonism, Jehovah Witnesses. Evangelism and Islam (I must admit I kinda agree on this one) are NOT religions at all...

Am I completely missing his point ???... Is it a 'my way or the highway' kinda thing.???....:confused:..

·
Registered
13,604 Posts

Love will never go out of style, but there are many types of love that are mentioned in God's Word. Below some are listed, as well as the distinctions.

A feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a friend, for a parent or child, and so forth; warm fondness or liking for another; also, the benevolent affection of God for his creatures or the reverent affection due from them to God; also, the kindly affection properly expressed by God’s creatures toward one another; that strong or passionate affection for a person of the opposite sex that constitutes the emotional incentive to conjugal union. One of the synonyms for love is “devotion.”
Aside from those meanings, the Scriptures speak also of love guided by principle, as love of righteousness or even love for one’s enemies, for whom a person may not have affection. This facet or expression of love is an unselfish devotion to righteousness and a sincere concern for the lasting welfare of others, along with an active expression of this for their good.

The verb ʼa·hev′ or ʼa·hav′ (“love”) and the noun ʼa·havah′ (“love”) are the words primarily used in Hebrew to denote love in the foregoing senses, the context determining the sense and degree meant.

The Christian Greek Scriptures mainly employ forms of the words a·ga′pe, phi·li′a, and two words drawn from stor·ge′ (e′ros, love between the sexes, not being used). A·ga′pe appears more frequently than the other terms.

Of the noun a·ga′pe and the verb a·ga·pa′o, Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words says: “Love can be known only from the actions it prompts. God’s love is seen in the gift of His Son, I John 4:9, 10. But obviously this is not the love of complacency, or affection, that is, it was not drawn out by any excellency in its objects, Rom. 5:8. It was an exercise of the Divine will in deliberate choice, made without assignable cause save that which lies in the nature of God Himself, cp. Deut. 7:7, 8.”â€"1981, Vol. 3, p. 21.

Regarding the verb phi·le′o, Vine comments: “[It] is to be distinguished from agapao in this, that phileo more nearly represents tender affection. . . . Again, to love (phileo) life, from an undue desire to preserve it, forgetful of the real object of living, meets with the Lord’s reproof, John 12:25. On the contrary, to love life (agapao) as used in I Pet. 3:10, is to consult the true interests of living. Here the word phileo would be quite inappropriate.”â€"Vol. 3, pp. 21, 22.

James Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, in its Greek dictionary (1890, pp. 75, 76), remarks under phi·le′o: “To be a friend to (fond of [an individual or an object]), i.e. have affection for (denoting personal attachment, as a matter of sentiment or feeling; while [a·ga·pa′o] is wider, embracing espec. the judgment and the deliberate assent of the will as a matter of principle, duty and propriety . . . ).”

A·ga′pe, therefore, carries the meaning of love guided, or governed, by principle. It may or may not include affection and fondness. That a·ga′pe may include affection and warmth is evident in many passages. At John 3:35, Jesus said: “The Father loves [a·ga·pai′] the Son.” At John 5:20, he said: “The Father has affection for [phi·lei′] the Son.” Certainly God’s love for Jesus Christ is coupled with much affection. Also Jesus explained: “He that loves [a·ga·pon′] me will be loved [a·ga·pe·the′se·tai] by my Father, and I will love [a·ga·pe′so] him.” (Joh 14:21) This love of the Father and of the Son is accompanied by tender affection for such loving persons. God's worshipers must love him and his Son, as well as one another, in the same way.â€"Joh 21:15-17.

So, although distinguished by respect for principle, a·ga′pe is not unfeeling; otherwise it would not differ from cold justice. But it is not ruled by feeling or sentiment; it never ignores principle. Christians rightly show a·ga′pe toward others for whom they may feel no affection or fondness, doing so for the welfare of those persons. (Ga 6:10) Yet, though not feeling affection, they do feel compassion and sincere concern for such fellow humans, to the limits and in the way that righteous principles allow and direct.

However, while a·ga′pe refers to love governed by principle, there are good and bad principles. A wrong kind of a·ga′pe could be expressed, guided by bad principles. For example, Jesus said: “If you love [a·ga·pa′te] those loving you, of what credit is it to you? For even the sinners love those loving them. And if you do good to those doing good to you, really of what credit is it to you? Even the sinners do the same. Also, if you lend without interest to those from whom you hope to receive, of what credit is it to you? Even sinners lend without interest to sinners that they may get back as much.” (Lu 6:32-34) The principle upon which such ones operate is: ‘Do good to me and I will do good to you.’
The apostle Paul said of one who had worked alongside him: “Demas has forsaken me because he loved [a·ga·pe′sas] the present system of things.” (2Ti 4:10) Demas apparently loved the world on the principle that love of it will bring material benefits. The apostle John says: “Men have loved [e·ga′pe·san] the darkness rather than the light, for their works were wicked. For he that practices vile things hates the light and does not come to the light, in order that his works may not be reproved.” (Joh 3:19, 20) Because it is a truth or principle that darkness helps cover their wicked deeds, they love it.

Jesus commanded: “Love [a·ga·pa′te] your enemies.” (Mt 5:44) God himself established the principle, as the apostle Paul states: “God recommends his own love [a·ga′pen] to us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. . . . For if, when we were enemies, we became reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more, now that we have become reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.” (Ro 5:8-10) An outstanding instance of such love is God’s dealing with Saul of Tarsus, who became the apostle Paul. (Ac 9:1-16; 1Ti 1:15) Loving our enemies, therefore, should be governed by the principle established by God and should be exercised in obedience to his commandments, whether or not such love is accompanied by any warmth or affection.

·
Registered
13,604 Posts
I'm not sure where I lost track here.. The OP seemed to be implying that Catholicism, Mormonism, Jehovah Witnesses. Evangelism and Islam (I must admit I kinda agree on this one) are NOT religions at all...

Am I completely missing his point ???... Is it a 'my way or the highway' kinda thing.???....:confused:..
You are not missing the point at all. The OP has some very wrong information. It is amazing to me that people see something on the internet or have someone tell them something and take is as truth, but in reality have no idea if what they are saying is correct or not.

I can ASSURE you that some of the statements in the original post are as far off base as they can get.

Final side not on this thread. If you research the the original wording in the scriptures, Jesus was hung on a stake not a cross. Greater pain on a stake than on a cross, harder to breath.

·
Banned
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All we have to do is read our bible and pray that God would give us revelation, and he will. Jesus said that he is the only way to the Father. Nothing else is required. All these religions above add something else or they change everything all together. If we believe what Jesus said and if we truly love him, we will obey his commandments.

Shaggy....what can I say to you? God bless you.

·
226 Posts
1 John 5:9-13

New King James Version (NKJV)

9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater; for this is the witness of God which[a] He has testified of His Son. 10 He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. 11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life,[b] and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

·
226 Posts
You are not missing the point at all. The OP has some very wrong information. It is amazing to me that people see something on the internet or have someone tell them something and take is as truth, but in reality have no idea if what they are saying is correct or not.

I can ASSURE you that some of the statements in the original post are as far off base as they can get.

Final side not on this thread. If you research the the original wording in the scriptures, Jesus was hung on a stake not a cross. Greater pain on a stake than on a cross, harder to breath.
I'm curious where you think the OP is wrong in his information too? Teach us something here.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts