2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now, i could really care less who smokes it and who doesn't because i think weed is more safe than alcohol. but i guess i wasn't aware that the president (any president) could tell federal law enforcement to pick and choose which laws on which to pursue prosecution. the law is the law, no? and this isn't intended to be a political thread...

First U.S. Marijuana Cafe Opens in Oregon

Saturday, November 14, 2009

PORTLAND, Oregon - The United States' first marijuana cafe opened on Friday, posing an early test of the Obama administration's move to relax policing of medical use of the drug.
The Cannabis Cafe in Portland, Oregon, is the first to give certified medical marijuana users a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it - as long as they are out of public view - despite a federal ban.
"This club represents personal freedom, finally, for our members," said Madeline Martinez, Oregon's executive director of NORML, a group pushing for marijuana legalization.
"Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana," said Martinez. "We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis."
The cafe - in a two-story building which formerly housed a speak-easy and adult erotic club Rumpspankers - is technically a private club, but is open to any Oregon residents who are NORML members and hold an official medical marijuana card.

Members pay $25 per month to use the 100-person capacity cafe. They don't buy marijuana, but get it free over the counter from "budtenders". Open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., it serves food but has no liquor license.
There are about 21,000 patients registered to use marijuana for medical purposes in Oregon. Doctors have prescribed marijuana for a host of illnesses, including Alzheimer's, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and Tourette's syndrome.
On opening day, reporters invited to the cafe could smell, but were not allowed to see, people smoking marijuana.
"I still run a coffee shop and events venue, just like I did before we converted it to the Cannabis Cafe, but now it will be cannabis-themed," said Eric Solomon, the owner of the cafe, who is looking forward to holding marijuana-themed weddings, film festivals and dances in the second-floor ballroom.
NO PROSECUTION
The creation of the cafe comes almost a month after the Obama administration told federal attorneys not to prosecute patients who use marijuana for medical reasons or dispensaries in states which have legalized them.
About a dozen states, including Oregon, followed California's 1996 move to adopt medical marijuana laws, allowing the drug to be cultivated and sold for medical use. A similar number have pending legislation or ballot measures planned.
Pot cafes, known as "coffee shops", are popular in the Dutch city of Amsterdam, where possession of small amounts of marijuana is legal. Portland's Cannabis Cafe is the first of its kind to open in the United States, according to NORML.
Growing, possessing, distributing and smoking marijuana are still illegal under U.S. federal law, which makes no distinction between medical and recreational use.
Federal and local law enforcement agencies did not return phone calls from Reuters on Friday seeking comment on the Portland cafe's operations.
"To have a place that is this open about its activities, where people can come together and smoke - I say that's pretty amazing." said Tim Pate, a longtime NORML member, at the cafe.
Some locals are hoping it might even be good for business.
"I know some neighbors are pretty negative about this place opening up," said David Bell, who works at a boutique that shares space with the cafe. "But I'm withholding judgment. There's no precedent for it. We don't know what to expect. But it would great if it brought some customers into our store."

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
it's not a fight to police marijuana at this time... it's a fight about states rights vs fed rights... states have voted and legalized it, will feds cooperate? once they do, then the feds will be taxing the chit out of it... new source of income... money will win eventually.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Yep, the potheads will have to pay tax on their ganga if it gets legalized. States should be able to choose legalization without federal meddling..

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
NO! but if he made it legal we could open many beds in jails for the POS people that should really be in jail.
bonus points for that response. roughly half of all of the people crowding our prison system in the united states are in prison for a drug conviction - most of them on possession convictions. it's silly.

the people who make the drug laws in this country are the people who know the least about them. these same people also think that punishment is a deterrent, which it rarely is.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
When I was a cop in Austin and worked on a Street Narcotics Unit, we didn't even write people a ticket if they had weed... We just made them pour it out... Then the chief decided to start filing charges against the cops for Tampering With Evidence, a felony so we started either ticketing or arresting everyone who had weed because it was better for them to get hit with a class C or B misdemeanor than for us to catch a felony... Absolutely ridiculous...

·
Don't touch my junk, bro!
5,844 Posts
NO PROSECUTION
The creation of the cafe comes almost a month after the Obama administration told federal attorneys not to prosecute patients who use marijuana for medical reasons or dispensaries in states which have legalized them.
About a dozen states, including Oregon, followed California's 1996 move to adopt medical marijuana laws, allowing the drug to be cultivated and sold for medical use. A similar number have pending legislation or ballot measures planned.
In other words, the Administration has decided on this issue that as long as someone isn't violating state law, they won't prosecute them under federal law. One tiny nod to state's rights by the bloated and obscene federal government.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not surprised by the latest from the Liberal Leftys....of all the things that they could back away from....they chose to leave the smoke dopers alone! If they are really wanting to open the door.....legalize it....and tax it.....let the cigarette companies package it....then TAX THE HELL OF IT!

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In other words, the Administration has decided on this issue that as long as someone isn't violating state law, they won't prosecute them under federal law. One tiny nod to state's rights by the bloated and obscene federal government.
i agree with states rights. but if a federal law is on the books, which has been approved by the legislative branch of government, how is it that the president can tell the feds to look the other way?

don't misunderstand me; i'm all for freedom and think weed should be as legal as jack daniels. my question/concern relates to a president trumping federal law...ie, the president overstepping. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
i agree with states rights. but if a federal law is on the books, which has been approved by the legislative branch of government, how is it that the president can tell the feds to look the other way?

don't misunderstand me; i'm all for freedom and think weed should be as legal as jack daniels. my question/concern relates to a president trumping federal law...ie, the president overstepping. :cheers:
i think of it as a revision of an old and outdated law.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
The real issue is the huge divide between federal and state law for doing exactly the same thing.

If you are caught with less than 4 ounces of weed in the same county you live in, in the State of Texas, it's a class C misdemeanor, the same as going 75 in a 60 MPH zone. That's as long as the peace officer is licensed by the State of Texas.

But, under exactly the same circumstances, if a federal officer makes the bust, simple possession starts at $1000 and can include jail time. Federal officers include the CG as well as Federal Game Wardens along with a host of other federal officers.

As someone that believes in States rights above all else, I wish the Feds would butt out of this issue and any others where being caught by a Federal officer automatically turns it into a Federal offense. Let the States take care of themselves and decide what they want. The Feds should stick to what the US constitution dictates and leave the rest alone. It's not like we don't have enough freakin' terrorists to go around.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Let the States take care of themselves and decide what they want. The Feds should stick to what the US constitution dictates and leave the rest alone. It's not like we don't have enough freakin' terrorists to go around.
Winner!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts