2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in Cancun during the last weekendof January. If anyone will give some recommendations for charters in either Isla or Aventuras it will be greatly appreciated. Any Texas boats going to be down that way??

Thanks
Nate

·
Registered
429 Posts
I fished out of Puerto Aventuras a few years back and used Capt Rick's...nice boats, good crew, gear, etc.

Check out www.fishingcharterscancun.com for Cancun. I used them a few times in the past and it was cool. I think May is a better time of year to target sails, but you never know. Book a full day and head over to Isla if thats what you want to catch. Good luck!

·
fish control my brain
7,750 Posts
January is the slow time, you will catch trash fish ....

If you want to catch a cool fish, get to the lagune behind cancun and go catch a Tarpon on light tackle

·
Registered
863 Posts
Growing up, we used to make several trips a year to fish Puerta Aventuras. A lot has changed in the past 15 years, but the fishing is as good as ever. Unfortunately for you, your timing is off. The fishing picks up around March and lasts into late May. During this time of year, the seas are typically rough, but the fishing is worth it. Between march and may you could expect to release 10-15 sails, a white marlin or two, several dorado in the #40 class and a blue here and there daily. January is typically slow, with a wahoo or barracuda here and there. Capt. Ricks is a good fishing outfit, cheap boats and good crews...most fish are caught within sight of shore.

I will be down there around Jan 28th, between there and Akumal if you wanna drop me a line.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do the fishing seasons differ from Isla to Aventuras?

Thanks for all the reply, Mako I'll shoot you a PM when i actually get the dates but i'm pretty sure it's the last weekend of January

·
Registered
171 Posts
Another difference between the two is distance that you may run. In Puerto Aventuras, you normally start right out of the marina and fish up and down the beach. But it fishing normally does not pick up until later in the spring.

Out of Isla Mujeres, they will normally run a little to find the fish, but there are normally a lot more sailfish. Local boats to get in touch with: Keen M, Anthony Mendillo.

Out of Puerto Aventuras go through Capt Rick's...every size boat available. They will also mix/match charters if you want to split cost with someone else.

Both places have a good chance at being rough so look at getting the largest boat you can afford.

If I had to choose one to fish in January, it would be Isla Mujeres. But I plan on going back to Puerto Aventuras again in April or May.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Dave M

·
Registered
80 Posts
Isla fishing

January & February sailfishing has been absolutely fantastic in Isla the past several years. And 20+ bite days are common. As someone mentioned earlier Anthony Mindello has a great operation, [email protected] I think is his address. He stays pretty well booked but he can hook you up with some of the Carolina guys. Those guys are at the top of their game & produce. If you need more info PM me with your phone & I'll call you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Isla

If those guys from Carolina are still in Isla they are great fishermen. I fished two days down there a few years ago and had well over 40 shots per day landing almost 50 between the two days but were on our own boat. Those guys from Carolina were catching double what we were.

As mentioned the conditions can get pretty sporty in Jan/Feb and probably will have to run. If its rough there are some great places to go flats fishing for tarpon and permit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts