2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lookin and tryin out so many UL's it aint funny. so far I have found one that I liked the best. the Cascade 5'6" UL. I built it for my trip to Hunt, Tx this week and last Friday I broke it on the 6th ot 7th bass i cought. It almost made me cry. I had it with a split grip slip ring handle and Fugi guides with a maroon and silver wrapps and a Aggie butt wrap. That was the lightest rod I ever held in my hands and o' did it cast like a beuety. aw man it was my dream rod. and I had to go and break it. my first rod I built broke. ugh! ........I'm gonna go to Acadamy or Sportsman's Finest today and see what they got in the way of a slip ring grip UL. i was thinkin of gettin a Falcon (if they got one liek that) or an All-star. can you recomend an UL for a spur of the moment buy?...............JJ

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I Can't Think Of One Off Hand......

I have had a couple but they were too light and I can't remember why I bought them. Maybe it was for Crappie or Rainbow Trout. I think if you ask the sales person to show you what the store has, you should be able to decide pretty quick as to whether that was what you had in mind. Several companies make two-piece rods in UL that maybe something you should consider, compactness. Maybe not. Check out the Shakespeare Ugly Stick rods. Those are hard to break. I know they make one. Good luck, CF?

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Have fun in Academy today! I had to go twice yesterday, with this tax-free weekend that place is a zoo! I waited in line for 20 minutes the first time I was there. Also, JJ, dont be so down on breaking your first pole, i think its pretty cool you even built one to begin with. I dont have the time nor patience for those kind of things.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I never see any quality ones

Occasionally there will be some decent ones at CutRate, but I have never seen a good one at Academy. Good luck.

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
I have two that I use for crappie fishing...the first is a Shakespeare Ugly Stik SPL 1100 4'8" UltraLight Action with a Shakespeare Lite UltraLite 2500 ALX spinning reel.... it's extremely light-weight and good for feeling the crappie bite. The second is a bit heavier....it's a Falcon Graphite FES-UL-156 Ultra-Lite Action with a Shimano Spirex 1000RD spinning reel....I like it because it has the QuickFire II Trigger. Both are excellent combos for crappie fishing....I wouldn't fish for bass with them though.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the Ugly Stick is the way to go. I have used one but didnt liek the reel seats too good. maybe I can overcome that for 3 days. LOL. I have considered many brands and I am on a limeted budget. I looked at a nieghbors g-loomis and oo was it a POS. boy it was heavy and just built wrong. ha!

Miss Dixie, I have cought many bass on an UL and never had one fail on me til now. I even cought a 25 pound blue cat on an UL and 4#line. that 60min battle put a whuppin on my drag. wheeeeew! its real rounchy now. but It was worth it... havent cought too many crappie but the bream and bass are gonna be my quarry this week. I got a some hefty bronze back last time I was at Hunt. my first ever smallie. I need to get out more. LMAO!...thanx y'all..................JJ

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
I actually landed about a 4' alligator gar on my ultra-lite rig this past spring (wasn't on purpose though)...saw the snout top the surface...reached down for my clippers....then heard a voice shout from a near-by boat..."We'll take it!!" Netted him up and then cut the line....the guys trolled over and got it....whacked it with a hammer and handed me my net back.
IMHO, I prefer a baitcast reel for bass, like the ABU Garcia 5000C, on a medium light action casting rod...of course I've been known to chunk my Zebco 404's too...
Good luck to ya!

G

·
Fishing ultra-light

JJ,
From a lifetime of experience, I would recommend a long rod, not a short one, if you want to fish ultra-light for large fish. Start with a lightweight flyrod blank and cut it down until you get what you want. - If you have a short ultra-light like you did, then you will either break it on a strong fish, or take so long beating the fish that you will reduce the chances of its surviving. I applaud your wanting to give the fish a sporting chance, and I believe you like to fish C&R (Why else fish ultra-light?), but fighting too light can kill the fish, even if it manages to get away. - I am not criticizing you, simply telling you what I have learned in over 50 years of fishing. Learn to balance your sport against the fish's life. Defeating a fish as quickly as possible should be your goal. You both will benefit. ;)

:rybka: (the original)

ps: (rybka means "little fish" in Russian)

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I like a 6' rod. not too short or too long. and a faster action like med/fast or fast, instead of slow or med as msot are. I chose the 5'6" lenght for a cetain presentaion I was wantin to achieve with this od. I have used UL's as short as 4'6" and its a TOTALY differnt fight with that vs. a 5'6" or 6' rod.

Jaw, I agree on the keep the fight as short as possible. I cought that monster blue whilst bream fishin on a white deer hair jig. I haven't had but one bass die on me due to the fight on UL gear. had a few die on me when usin castin gear. and I do mostly C&R. I havent taken too many fish this year for the table. but one every now and then wont hurt too much............JJ

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
JJ, Can You Do Something?

Is it possible to expand your avatar picture to large so I can see what you look like? From here, with that fish in your hand, you look like my son, Trey at 14 years old. If you don't want to that'll be fine. Take Care Buddy, CF?

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ComeFrom? said:
Is it possible to expand your avatar picture to large so I can see what you look like? From here, with that fish in your hand, you look like my son, Trey at 14 years old. If you don't want to that'll be fine. Take Care Buddy, CF?
I can eamil some larger pics to you. (I cant post any cuz it wont let me)........whats your address?..........JJ

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Yea, I Got "em.....

Thanks for sending. The similarity is close but no cigar. My son was a little premature at birth and has been thin like you all his life. He's doing great now but he worried me and alot of people early on. You have kept your ******* weight down (and that's good) and it looks like from your hands like you've been workin' your young B___ off, and that's really good. Glad for ya' young dude. You look at least 16. I hope BillyStix sends you a free BillyStix Rod 'cause you deserve it. Your a good guy. I'm glad to know you. Take Care Buddy. CF?

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanx CF?! I have been told I look older than i am before. I owuldnt mind a StiX but thats up to him.....thanx man!.........JJ

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Sent Back Those Three Pics And.......

resized them with Irfanview if you want to post 'em. Good luck and I hope BillStix is listening in. CF?

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
still couldn't post them...

...and cant even get the mangae attachemnts page to come up. (I dont know whats goin on)... if you want to, you can post them. thanx, JJ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts