2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread, Skiff wrote:
Skiff said:
I had a similar problem and I corrected it by using Spyware Doctor 2.1. You can also find some utilities for windows at www.tucows.com . I ran a check and deleted over 100 items then updated Windows XP an it seemed to fix me up.
So I went to "tucows" and downloaded the free trial version. When I ran it, it found and removed, IEXPLORE.EXE (NetZip Download Demon)
However it found again upon a second scan! It is still there every time I run the trial program.

It also found, but I must "Buy" and register to remove:
Download Accelerator - HKLM\software - very dangerous
NetZip Download Demon - HKLM\software - Very dangerous
Altnet software - HKLM\software - dangerous - Bundled with Kazam
SyvumClick TM - dangerous
(duplicate copies of some of these)

Are these programs really dangerous and should I spend $40 to remove them?
I have and run: SpyBot, Ad-Aware and AVG anti-virus, as well as AdMuncher, Mailwasher, and Jammer. None of them have ever found a problem on my system.

I am not attacking Skiff, I thank him for his information, I just wonder how trustworthy the "Spyware Doctor" people are, and if the files their program found are really dangerous and should be removed?

·
Charter Member
225 Posts
Try reading this page for more info.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#trustworthy

I don't see any reason to pay for something that you can get for free. If AdAware and Spybot don't find it (and you HAVE updated them!), then it's probably nothing to worry about.

It is vital that you keep any program like this updated. They should always have the update procedure done on them each time you run any of them, to insure the most up to date definintions.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
I use Download Accelerator

it's just a download manager. It helps to resume a download if the link gets broke. It is a very useful tool. There are some ad's in the free version that run on top and if you have a firewall they are no problem If you try and remove them, then the program will not work.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I didn't buy it JAW. I just downloaded the shareware and ran it. It works well for me and I can run it as I surf the net to keep the cookies and other **** off my PC. Like I said I had a similar problem not the exact. Go ahead and attack me I've got big shoulders! :)

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I downloaded Spydoctor and ran it on my puter. I have spybot and adware and it found 3 new items that the others didn't fine One was a trojan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys!!

HOORAY!! HOORAY!! HOORAY!! Whoops! SHHHH! (Don't want to alert the cyber-gremlins)
Thanks Skiff for pointing me in the direction of SpyDoctor, and thanks Bobby for your help in getting it to run for me. Both the last two e-mails got through and one of them was downloadable. I did as you advised and now having run the program I seem to be able to allow ActiveX functions to work without them causing an IE recycle boot. (He says keeping his fingers and toes crossed.)

To those techies who care, It appears that one of these files was causing the problem:
IEXPLORE.EXE (NetZip Download Demon)
Download Accelerator - HKLM\software
NetZip Download Demon - HKLM\software
Altnet software - HKLM\software
SyvumClick TM

Sorry, I spoke too soon. :( One cycle of log-in worked perfectly, but now the IE error shut down is back, and SpyDoctor finds no new files or problems. :cloud: It was great while it lasted! :cry:

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
That download demon

looks questionable. If you have Download Accelarator, I don't think you would need both. (it's just another download manager) That program was bought by Real Networks and was just renamed. That link that Topcat put up has some great programs in there. You might try one of the ActiveX programs. I have forgot what OS you are using, if ME or XP be sure to disable the auto restore before running. You might also want to try running in safe mode once. Reboot and then rescan.

SyvumClick lets Internet Explorer to immediately look it up on an online resource such as a dictionary, thesaurus, search engine or translation service. I think it also does some games.

Altnet software is from Kazza and is also used to download "stuff" (P2P)

I, speaking now only for myself, would pick one to use and get rid of the others. Too many programs accessing the net to download. They also must be a drain on your resources.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts