2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Phenolic is a paper and resign compound pressed in to the desired shape and heated, Plastic is a pure chemical mixture.

·
Remember the Veterans
8,047 Posts

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
5,307 Posts
It depends. They make a plastic that is free of BPA(bisphenol acitate)
A study was done on some plastic product a while back and allot of the plastic used was showing traces of BPA in it when heated in the microwave. I used to make BPA and our unit was a 100 % phenol unit. We made it from a liquid form phenol/BPA into a solid.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Phenolic is a paper and resign compound pressed in to the desired shape and heated, Plastic is a pure chemical mixture.
A phenolic must have paper in it?
Or is a phenolic considired the alloy of plastics?
no to all of the above. in organic chemistry, phenols - sometimes called phenolics - are simply a chemical compound containing a benzene ring and a hydroxyl group.

plastics are phenols, but they are not alloys. and alloy is a mixture of two or more metals, and, since plastics are not metals, plastics are, therefore, not alloys.

plastics are also often referred to as phenolic resins. to the best of my knowledge, phenols have nothing to do with paper.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It depends. They make a plastic that is free of BPA(bisphenol acitate)
A study was done on some plastic product a while back and allot of the plastic used was showing traces of BPA in it when heated in the microwave. I used to make BPA and our unit was a 100 % phenol unit. We made it from a liquid form phenol/BPA into a solid.
Plastic= a phenolic?

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
5,307 Posts
yes.
Its melting point is 41° C and its boiling point is182° C. Phenol has a sweet odour that is detectable at 0.06 PPM, which enables it to be used in an air freshener. The largest use for phenol is in low cost, versatile resins. They are mainly thermoset resins used in plywood adhesion, construction and the motorcar industry.
Phenol, also known as carbolic acid, is a toxic, white with a slightly pink tinge, crystalline solid. Its chemical formula is C6H5OH and its structure is that of a hydroxyl group (-OH) bonded to a phenyl ring, making it an aromatic compound.A caustic, poisonous, white crystalline compound, C6H5OH, derived from benzene and used in resins, plastics..

Hope this helps. Got it from our manual here at work.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heres the post I was responded to. I called BS.

Those are the bearings you really want to use. The plastic retainers are far superior to the riveted or bent tab metal type.
They wear better, have less corrosion issues, less drag and can take higher speeds. They are steadily replacing the phenolic cage type that were the king of high speed bearings.

The thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9301256/tm.htm

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Heres the post I was responded to. I called BS.

Those are the bearings you really want to use. The plastic retainers are far superior to the riveted or bent tab metal type.
They wear better, have less corrosion issues, less drag and can take higher speeds. They are steadily replacing the phenolic cage type that were the king of high speed bearings.

The thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9301256/tm.htm
the person who wrote that probably knows their bearings and retainers, but they don't know their chemistry. that's all. i think he just misused the word "phenolic." no biggie.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts