2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
It really depends on the area of the country you hunt. If you hunt relatively close to the coast, it shouldn't be to early. The deer along the middle to upper coast seem to rut early. Our rut will be in FULL SWING in 2-3 weeks.

Check out this link. It should help you out on your decision. I think you will also be surprised at the findings.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/rutchrono/bredchr1.htm#E10E1

Good Luck!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I wouldn't really try grunting and definately wouldn't try rattling yet. Will probably only educate bucks that could be fooled later on in rifle season.

·
15,098 Posts
Two to three weeks prior to peek rut for rattling then grunts and rattling durring rut, with more grunting at post peak rut. The fighting is all but over at post rut, but I still have rattled in deer at this time, depending on the buck / doe ratio, in your hunting area.

R.R............

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It is way to early to use a grunt call or to rattle. Neither are effective unless the rut is right around the corner or you are in it. Typically, the rut starts around the first "good" cold front.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Too Soon??? I have found that lighting up the grunt calls and rattels at 6:00 AM, in the bedroom while the wife is trying to sleep IS WAY TOO EARLY! Did you know that a shoe can fly around the corner at over 100 MPH in the dark?

·
8,788 Posts
dbar6488 said:
I wouldn't really try grunting and definately wouldn't try rattling yet. Will probably only educate bucks that could be fooled later on in rifle season.
Not if your rut is about to start. Later on in the season is to late.

Solid Action said:
It is way to early to use a grunt call or to rattle. Neither are effective unless the rut is right around the corner or you are in it. Typically, the rut starts around the first "good" cold front.
His rut might be right around the corner depending on where he is hunting.

As far as cold fronts initiating the rut. I would contend that this is a hunters perception, not fact. Bucks on the upper Texas coast start rutting as early as August. Looonnng before the first cold front. In fact, most are done rutting in that area before the season ever opens. I think the reason we tend to think the rut starts about the time of a cold front is because we see the activity during daylight hours. When in fact, if its warm, most of the running takes place at night.

It all depends on where you are hunting.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
If you are blessed with lots of deer, try the grunt or rattle when you have a spike or 4pt near you. See what they do.

If you are in the NASA area, go there or UHCL and see what they do.

Be careful tho. There are some crazies over there that may hear the commotion and think YOU are in estrous and need some attention.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Look at the TPwD site for rutting periods in different places. The "rut" is a prolonged period of time with a "peak" that is the tallest point of the bell curve. If you look really close, there is one big peak and 2 or 3 smaller ones. There may be a tiny peak in October, then 28 days later, the major peak will show in November, then another small peak will occur 28 days later in December. 28 day periods or cycles are very common in nature; just like lunar phases.

·
8,788 Posts
Just for clarification. When I say "The Rut" I am speaking of the primary rut, or the peak(tallest point)on the Bell Curve that Pogie mentions. Our primary rut is in late October, however, we see rutting activity as late as January.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was just playing the odds that he was probably not hunting in that small area near the coast. I guess even east texas has rut in late october but I never break out the grunts and horns until I see that first doe get chased. Rather safe than sorry.

·
15,098 Posts
The peak in east tex is in Oct. I've rattled in bucks (Mature) during bow season. By opening of rifle season get ready.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rattling and grunting produced a nice 8 point near Lake Houston last weekend.

I saw 2 bucks chasing does Saturday morning. Grunting brought both of them within ten yards several times, but they never offered a shot. I drew on one buck at 20yards, but decided against the shot. Saturday PM rattling produced three does and a spike that ran in to see the action. Sunday morning I had movement about 40 yards behind me. Grunted a few times and the buck approached from behind. He hid in some bushes and pawed the ground, surveying the area for a minute or so before he stepped out at 9 yards.

Scraping activity really turned on 2 weeks ago. I had seven large scrapes within 40 yards of my stand. The bucks were really moving this past weekend. I had deer activity all around me Saturday morning until 10:00am. I have never had to be so still for so long in a stand!

Kyle

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Just a little calrification. The rut is controlled by photoperiod, not cold fronts or anything else. You naturally see more rutting activity before, during, and after a cold front because the deer are more active. The cold front did not initiate the rut though.
During the first rut, the majority of the does get bred and there are plenty to go around. The does that don't breed in the first rut will cycle about a month later, and so on. In my experience, the fighting and competition among the bucks gets more intense, later in the season, when there are fewer cycling does to go around.
One other thing you might want to know is the buck to doe ratio in your hunting area. The more even the populations are, the more competition there is, and the more successful the rattling will be.

·
8,788 Posts
What JDS said. In fact, the best activity (and what we generally view as the "rut") is actually the time just before and just after the peak times of those 28 day cycles. That is when the competition is the most intense. There are only a few does coming in or still in esturous during those times.

you know kinda like the last 30 minutes before the bar closes. Lots of intense searching going on. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts