2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the rodeo cook off??? That's one of my favorite times of year, who's gonna be there? who's going to what tents? I always frequent the cazadores tent and the miller lite tent (somehow every year i manage to get passes, but never know how) And from there i wind up in random tents that folks pass me bands to from around the industry, oh and let's not forget the polk county tent! I can't remember the name of the big white one on the corner by the port-o-can's but i want to say it's woodgroup, they have white and green badges shaped like a star i think? started there at about 930 am saturday last year, it was a LOOOOONG day from what i hear!

·
Pistol58
2,591 Posts
Ill be at the Caz this year for sure! POC remember taking a photo with "most original pit" winners? Posted right there in the Chron. Like we had part in helping build that contraption they called a smoker.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill be at the Caz this year for sure! POC remember taking a photo with "most original pit" winners? Posted right there in the Chron. Like we had part in helping build that contraption they called a smoker.
Of course i remember that, we met the cook team and talk to them every year and i can NEVER remember their names. If the cookers are reading this, sorry, you guys are awesome, i just have a bad memory. Pistol, remember giving tours to random hot chicks we would grab, passing it off as if we were part of the team. We'd take em back behind the scenes and give a tour of the pit and toss them a beer or whiskey....MAN i love the cook off!!!

·
Pistol58
2,591 Posts
Cazadores has the best live performances by far. RR a few years back (though I couldnt tell you if they played one song), Aaron Watson I think....Its always a blur after a bootshine and the sun goes down.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cazadores has the best live performances by far. RR a few years back (though I couldnt tell you if they played one song), Aaron Watson I think....Its always a blur after a bootshine and the sun goes down.
Man i could use a shine and a coldy right now as a matter of fact!!!

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
the rodeo cook off??? That's one of my favorite times of year, who's gonna be there? who's going to what tents? I always frequent the cazadores tent and the miller lite tent (somehow every year i manage to get passes, but never know how) And from there i wind up in random tents that folks pass me bands to from around the industry, oh and let's not forget the polk county tent! I can't remember the name of the big white one on the corner by the port-o-can's but i want to say it's woodgroup, they have white and green badges shaped like a star i think? started there at about 930 am saturday last year, it was a LOOOOONG day from what i hear!
Brisket Cases has star-shaped badges, they are on the far west end, next to Kirby...and the port-o-cans.

·
Living life in the 77H20 zip code
848 Posts
AAHHHHH !!!! The smell of the HLSR cook-off !!!! I had twelve wonderful years down at the dome as a committeeman on the Corral Club and as a member on a cook - off team. The stories I could tell............but at the advice of my attorney, I am afraid I cannot elaborate any further.

·
Pistol58
2,591 Posts
AAHHHHH !!!! The smell of the HLSR cook-off !!!! I had twelve wonderful years down at the dome as a committeeman on the Corral Club and as a member on a cook - off team. The stories I could tell............but at the advice of my attorney, I am afraid I cannot elaborate any further.
My grandad has been a lifetime comitteeman since the 60s. He quit going years back once it got too "commercial" but they still send him a badge every year, which tends to wind up in my hands.

The badge used to get you anywhere and everywhere back in the day. I remember going with him and meeting Alan Jackson backstage. Now, it might get you free entry at most.

·
Living life in the 77H20 zip code
848 Posts
My grandad has been a lifetime comitteeman since the 60s. He quit going years back once it got too "commercial" but they still send him a badge every year, which tends to wind up in my hands.

The badge used to get you anywhere and everywhere back in the day. I remember going with him and meeting Alan Jackson backstage. Now, it might get you free entry at most.
Yep, sounds familiar. My last year was the last year they had the rodeo in the dome. I worked on the 6th floor Loge level behind the beer and liquor bars. When they opened Reliant, they told us committeman we had to park at the Reed Rd lot on 288 south and ride the shuttle in. I said "See Ya !!!"

I'm very glad for the 12 years I did volunteer though, it was a blast back in the day when it was at the dome !!!

·
I Member Like It Was Yesterday
3,473 Posts
Yeah, but I bet the photos are still around....:hairout: Could probably have them uploaded by tommorrow?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I am on the Brisket Cases Cook Off team. Yes I will be there again. The Brisket Cases is the oldest team out there. The team has been there since 1974.
Been on the Dirt Road Gang Team since the first year of the Cook Off. The first 2 years we had Clint Black playing in our tent. I'm sure there are quite a few teams that have been there since 1974.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Been on the Dirt Road Gang Team since the first year of the Cook Off. The first 2 years we had Clint Black playing in our tent. I'm sure there are quite a few teams that have been there since 1974.
Well I am not going to get into a ******* match with you and I am not saying you are correct or you are wrong. What I do know is that 4 or 5 years ago the Cook-Off Committee awarded us with that distinction as the oldest continuous team there. What I do know to be fact is the Brisket Cases has given $96,000.00 to the scholarship fund the past five years and is the only team that gives at the corporate level. The first year of the cook-off was 1973. I would like to thank you for your contribution to the youth and have a great day, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts