2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a flea problem and am trying to find some Dursban to spread on my yard.

A guy at Trailer Tractor Supply said its been off the market for while. I don't remember hearing about this. So I went to a feed store and got a product called Bifen, which is supposed to have replaced Dursban and Diazinon and am planning on giving this a shot.

Has anyone used Bifen? How did it go? And where can I find Dursban if its available?

Thanks,
MIK

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Hey Mik, I was told that chicks carry fleas bigtime..... Their feathers are so tight that they can't scratch the fleas off, and when their feathers get ruffled they scatter the fleas everywhere, which is most likely in your situation. It is possible to give the chick a bath with soap, but they don't like it and you may get scratched bad.... I would suggest to keep your chick in the garage, or maybe in a small pen in the backyard... Stay away from the chemicals, they get immune to them and tend to like it, then they really do some crazy stuff... I hope you find a solution, and my deepest prayers are with you.......

lol.... duckin and runnin..... fast

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
ha! as if he could keep me anywhere! if he could it would be the bedroom anyway! poor darrell, your chick has dem fleas eh?

btw, greenie on the way ya turkey!
Badhabit said:
Hey Mik, I was told that chicks carry fleas bigtime..... Their feathers are so tight that they can't scratch the fleas off, and when their feathers get ruffled they scatter the fleas everywhere, which is most likely in your situation. It is possible to give the chick a bath with soap, but they don't like it and you may get scratched bad.... I would suggest to keep your chick in the garage, or maybe in a small pen in the backyard... Stay away from the chemicals, they get immune to them and tend to like it, then they really do some crazy stuff... I hope you find a solution, and my deepest prayers are with you.......

lol.... duckin and runnin..... fast

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try a veterinarian for advice. Dogs and cats can get advantage flea control that is applied to their neck. They can also be given Sentinel orally to break the reproductive cycle of the flea. Birds also have options available either orally or topically. Triavicide is available at the home improvement stores but is not nearly as effective as Dursban or Diazinon. Dursban and Diazinon were pulled from the shelves for the same reason Chlordane was removed back in the 80's. The EPA could control distribution but not application. ie, the consumer follows the philosophy that if a teaspoon is good, a gallon is better. And then the pet cat dies and birds fly into windshields.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Dursban is still available, but only for golf courses. Not for residential. The Bifen is the replacement, prolly as strong, but it takes much longer to work and lasts much longer. As mentioned above, it would be best to talk to a vet or maybe do both.
Thanks, John

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Dursban for golf courses? I think it has been totally banned.

If you got fleas use Tempo. Get it at Lesco or Solutions. 13 mls per gal of water in a pump up sprayer and go to town.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Lesco or Solutions?

I'm assuming these are stores but I'm not familiar with them. Where would I find one? Also, does Tempo have immediate knockdown? And does it last a while?

MIK
Oops. I did this under her handle.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Lesco.com will find you the closest store. Look for Solutions under "Pest Control Supplies". Or look for someone near you under that "supplies" listing. Cyfluthirn is the active ingredient and its hail on fleas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.