2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Blu ray

Sorry, I don't know jack about it really, but I think it lets the DVD drive your 1080p TV to full hi-def.

What I do know, is I've been waiting for years for their price to come down.

I saw a cheap player Sunday for $78. I saw a better one that play both types DVDs $178.
also now you can get them that'll fit into your desktop computer case.
just had to wait for the newness to wear off.

BB

·
388 Posts
I agree that something like 1080p 120Hz can be the key.

I think it's worth it.

It's kind of crazy how these discs appear on the shelves at the retailers. It has taken quite a while for some of the good stuff to appear. Forrest Gump just a few weeks ago. The Gladiator a couple of weeks before that. Still no Saving Private Ryan.

Suddenly something obscure will appear, like Billy Jack last week or the week before.

Here in Victoria, it pays to shop around. Wal-Mart may sell a disc for 19.99, HEB will sell it for 29.99, and then Hastings for 35.99. Sometimes the order may be reversed.

It's possible that BluRay may be one of the hardest hit entities of the so-called recession. It seems like they just can't bring the prices down, and I can't imagine they are selling as many discs as they'd like at the current prices.

When you see something like The Gladiator in BluRay, it becomes a bit difficult to watch a standard DVD if you don't have to.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
its worth the price if you actually get the blueray discs to play...also, you're going to need to get the program (forgot what its called) to adjust the settings on your tv. Makes the blacks black and the whites super white and really makes the colors in between much more vivid than factory settings. This was one of the best investments I had with my tv.

Blueray is awesome. You wont want to watch movies at the theater anymore.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So worth it. I have no reason to ever go to the theater again. I set up a theater in my house complete with suround sound, flat screen tv, and blue ray. It is incredible. I have only had one disk that would not play on my player and it was one of the first blue ray disk that I rented. So I don't know if it was a technoligy problem or what, but I haven't had any more problems. I have had a couple of friends watch a movie at my house and go buy their own blue ray player. Like others said you have to have a tv with all the right stuff to get the full affect.

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,426 Posts
As others have stated, it's worth it if you have a 1080p TV. It takes HD to a whole new level that you can't get out of even the best cable channel. If you don't have a 1080p, don't bother. You'll just be wasting your money. Instead, get an up-converting DVD player.

·
Jedi Knight and Friend to Captain Solo
17,039 Posts
How well do those DVD players work that claim to bring old DVD's up to HD quality on a 1080?
They are unnecessary. If you have an HDTV it will automatically scale up regular DVD's for the native resolution of the TV. If you don't have an HDTV it won't make any difference.
So if your TV is 720P it will use it's own internal processor to scale the DVD up. Or 1080P if you have a TV that's native resolution is 1080P.

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
So worth it. I have no reason to ever go to the theater again. I set up a theater in my house complete with suround sound, flat screen tv, and blue ray. It is incredible. I have only had one disk that would not play on my player and it was one of the first blue ray disk that I rented. So I don't know if it was a technoligy problem or what, but I haven't had any more problems. I have had a couple of friends watch a movie at my house and go buy their own blue ray player. Like others said you have to have a tv with all the right stuff to get the full affect.
Sounds like an open invitation to your "friends" to watch movies at your house. Can I be your friend? Do you put out a Movie Guide? BTW, I like popcorn with lite butter and I drink margaritas in a bag. :D

·
Got Wasabi?
2,635 Posts
You really can't tell the difference on tv's smaller than 50" between 1080i and p.

On my main TV, Samsung HL61A750 61" dlp rear projection, you can tell the picture is slightly better. However, on the my Sharp 42" LCD you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Both are 1080p and have been calibrated.

That having been said, you will notice a difference between upconverted DVDs and Blu-ray.

Best thing if you want a blu-ray player is to get a PS3 which plays those, as well as standard DVDs (will upconvert standard DVDs)

P.S. Get the HDMI cables from monoprice.com. Cheaper than BestBuy or Wally World and good quality.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Even with 1080i, it is still better than regular DVD. Blueray is better on any HD tv vs the scale up of regular DVDs. 1080p is better than 1080i plug a higher hz (120 or higher) but still any HD tv shows it better than regular DVD.

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,217 Posts
Worth EVERY penny to get a good upconverting Blu-Ray player if you have a 1080P TV. The picture & sound improvements over DVD will blow you away on the right TV & home theater sound system.

If you have a 720 TV, don't bother until you upgrade the TV to a modern 1080P.

·
Own It, everyday the same way.
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our new TV is a 1080p but still open ears for any advice.
If it helps I currently own approx 50-60 DVD's already and am not looking to forward to converting unless anyones is interested in a trade?

DVD's for new(agreed brand-model) Blueray player?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts