2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as promised, here is the report from Friday when we went to White Rock to tear up some crappie. After hearing how well everyone else was doing, we bought 5 dozen of minnows and went for it. Got there at 8 am and stayed till 5 pm. Caught three 7" to 8" crappie and five LMB. I guess we should've went to Kickapoo. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on why in the world the water at WRC would be as murky as it was on Friday? It wasn't real bad but it definitely wasn't the clear iced tea that I was expecting. I can't think of any reason why everyone's catching them at Kickapoo and not WRC. Everyone we talked too that day on WRC said they were catching just a few small ones.

On another note, we threw for some WB too but not one single WB was caught. Very irritating Friday for us. Glad to see everyone else did so well though.

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
Slimyhand I am surprised about your lack of luck up on WRC. I figured like you that the crappie would be on a good bite up there too, like at Kickapoo. The water in kickapoo is that dark, but clear water that comes from rain filtering through new fallen leaves releasing tanic acid. So I'm also surprised WR was muddy, I'm going check that rainfall site and see if it has had rain that kickapoo didn't.
We are all just itching for those white bass to get with it, they were biting so good all summer that I'm thinking it will be a good spawn, especially with all of the rain we have had, but it is still early.

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Same old story, as the old pros like Houston and Roland Martin say, "They are in the pre spawn hold pattern" Yea, right. Figure out how to find that place and you are going to be very popular fellow.
The crappie that I have caught the last month either in Tigerville, Beacon Bay or Kickapoo have all been in 12 to 16 ft of calm water holding about 6 ft down.
Maybe WRC is muddier due to it being a much bigger water shed and more logging going on up in that area. That area is more lumber and paper company land than down nearer the main lake. Just saying.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sunbeam,
I didn't know about the logging that went on in that area. I've never seen it or heard it while I was fishing in that area. But, if what you say is true, that would make since as to why WRC is muddier than Kickapoo. The LMB that we caught, the biggest being caught by me of course, hehe (4 lbs.), was in that first creek north of the bridge, by the old bridge a few hundred yards north of the boat ramp. That was the clearest water we seen all day. It looks like bass heaven back there. Bunch of stumps and laydowns. I'll give it a few weeks and try again for the WB in there. Maybe before then, I'll have a chance to go to Kickapoo and get into some crappie.

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
I 2nd that 12 to 16' of water, all of the fish we have caught during this bite have come from about that depth. I have been cruising some of my long time holes to look for fish, and if they are not there I start looking for schools in that depth and have been finding them pretty quick.
They seem to be hitting just above the bottom best, but sometime during the day fish will show up near the surface, they have all been small ones.
"Pre spawn holding pattern" that's pretty funny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts