2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son completed his first IronMan Sunday in Tempe, Arizona. Total time of 11 hours, 1 minute, 59 seconds. It was awesome to watch 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike race, and 26 mile marathon. He's a little sore today, I'm exhausted from watching. Out of 2500 competitors he ranked 449!!! He's already talking about the next one Panama Beach 2010.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,258 Posts
Those triathalon things are amazing to watch. Id race a bike 112 miles, but it would have to have a V-Twin for me to do it. Back in my youth I could run all day long, but not anymore. That reminds me, I have an appt with my ortho next week. sad3sm

Congrats to your son on his accomplishment. Not many folks can do that.

·
Dont hate the player... hate the game...
2,092 Posts
Your son and everyone who knows him should be very proud, thats a very respectable time !
He's a Stud.

Ive done some half M-dots, never had the dedication to do the training for a full, there is a HUGE difference.

·
I'm a millionaire in a .02 opinion world
2,569 Posts
I admire the dedication and determination. Impressive. If it were me, I wouldn't be a "little sore" I'd be on life support. B&P

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My brother in law finished the Cour De Lane up north. Awsome results. Definitely gets under thier skin. I've done a 1/2 marathon and some 30+ mile bike rides, but haven't put them together yet. Especially since I hit 230lbs!
When I did a bicycle ride from Houston to Edmonton, Alberta in 2003, one of our RCMP (Mountie) members who came down weighed in at about 270lbs. He was a big ol' biggun from Yellowknife and had never even ridden a road bicycle before (only MTB up there).

After some serious miles, he speculated to us that he wanted to do Ironman Canada one day. I'll admit it, I gave him "the look". You know, the one that says, "what a sad delusion". He was in great shape and scary strong, but he was "cop built" for busting heads, not for endurance.

Lo' and Behold, just a year later, he sends me a photo of him crossing the line in his first Ironman Canada. He was STILL a biggun, but he did it and NO, I don't know his time.....

"One day", I keep telling myself, "One day".

For anyone who wishes to to their first or fiftieth "tri" (including olympic and half-tri's), marathon, or century (100mile) bicycle ride: www.teamintraining.org and yes, I'm really-reallly biased.

That is a great accomplishment for anyone

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Funny, I can hop on a bike right now and ride 120 miles with no problem, and in under 7 hours. I'm not that bad a runner either but swimming, man that's tough!

I took some lessons last year to learn to swim the "right" way and within 15 minutes I was screaming uncle. Guess I need to get back to the lessons and work on my breathing. Perhaps next year I'll attempt a tri.

You kid deserves major kudos for finishing an iron man. It's a feat very few of us could ever do.

S.M.

·
El Viejo
23,413 Posts
My son, Jay, has been doing triathalons since his last year of college..and he is just about to turn 56 years old. The last couple of years he has cut down to half-marathons...but he and the Bride still do a half dozen of them a year. Think it's an obsession with them...if he don't run a few miles each AM he says he feels lousy..They have made Alcatraz about three times and even a tour at the Hawaiian biggie... The guy that got him turned on to it was his first boss...and he's ten years older than Jay and he (Bob..the Senior Partner) did the Hawaii thang again this year....at 65 years of age.. They don't worry about 'times'..they just want to 'finish' LOL...Totally unbelievable to me..but shore is a good healty lifestyle I guess. Jay sure didn't get it from 'genes' from this old geezer....

My hat's off to them but I couldn't run from here (my easy chair) to the front door if my life depended on it....:rotfl:

Congrats to your Son, Fred...he's found a great life-style...

·
Banned
2,395 Posts
I've done many short to mid distance tris and one 1/2 iron. I wore out my knees trying to train for a full Iron and finally gave up after two knee surgeries. I am still active in sprints and olympic distance though. Can't give it up entirely but have to limit the pain!

Congrats to your son on an awesome accomplishment!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thats awsome, I dont see how anyone could do that. Ive tried mountain biking at Jack Brooks and i wrecked 3 times but im also 6'1" and 275 lbs. A buddy and me tried to swim to an island in this sand pit we found and it was only about a hundred yards to it, let me just say it was a horrible idea!!!:headknock
We made it but almost didnt make it back. But congrats on your son doin that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts