2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hat Creek Cattle Company, Porch Office.
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to get a Ipod soon. I drive a '04 Tacoma and was looking at different ways to hook it up. I have a Tape deck so I was thinking of going that route, or get the charger/base that uses FM Freq. to broadcast to the speakers, that way I can also use it in my work truck ('03 Chevy). Any car audio guys have any input? I don't have a AUX button so putting a cable to the radio is out of the question.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
You'll get mixed reviews on the FM transmitters, but I had the DLO Transpod in my last truck and it worked great. That was in Houston where just about every frequency has something on it, but it would override the weak frequencies with no distortion.

Being in Kingsville, you shouldn't have any problem with it. No wires and it recharges the ipod while it is connected.

·
Hoping to keep some spare change
1,410 Posts
I have the monster FM converter and I get some interference in Houston but great reception outside of town. It is hard to move your signal up or down in Houston w/o dialing in another radio station...the frequencies are PACKED!

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
never thought to look but does the transponders use AM Freqs to?

·
Most Non Funny
1,834 Posts
I have the Monster one and love it...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
which ipod are you getting, the nano or full blown, been thinking about it myself, and i can take it wadefishing with me as well for those long wades

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wasn't going to risk it in saltwater, but I am looking at the Ipod. The nano is $50 cheaper but it looks like it would be hard to read the screen to find music on it. Just does not seem like a deal saving $50 bucks and getting the nano

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have a Nano (4-gig) and the full-blown iPod-80gig. It's worth it to get the big one for me because I'm carrying pictures, audio-books, songs, etc. The Nano is great for size / weight, very handy for when I'm out & about. Since I already carry a blackberry and a pager, what's one more gadget???

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
hey sea aggie, can you put files on it such as autocad drawing files, pdf files, word files(using it like a flash drive)

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's another reason for going bigger, mine is going to stay in the truck, playing when I'm driving and locked up when I get out.

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
i use the tape adapter .. 1980s technology still works great for me .. it make be old school ..but it sounds good

regarding full blown ipod .. or nano ... one thing to keep in mind is the full blown ipod uses a hard drive ... nano uses flash memory ...

hard drives have moving parts .. so a standard ipod will fail sooner or later ..

nano has no moving parts all electronic .. who knows if that really means a longer life ... to me .. i think the odds are better

·
Registered
712 Posts
don't bank your descision solely on it having or not having moving parts. I just had a 1gb flash memory fail after 3 months.

maybe it was just my luck

james

·
yakfisher
805 Posts
go with the 80 gig! i have mine and have already filled it with a dozen or so pics, 25 movies and 1300 songs. this has only taken up about 12 or 13 gigs so far, but is filling up pretty quick like. i also have the itrip and use it all over houston, station, Louisanna, and it is great for playin movies in the car when i am workin extra jobs. also pelican has a water tight ipod case 1030i that is great.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST ON A BATTERY, SAY I WANTED TO WATCH A SMALL MOVIE ON IT ON A ROAD TRIP OR SOMETHING.(NOT SURE HOW BIG A MOVIE IS)

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
do not bother with the FM transmitter. They are junk. I bought 2 of the best ones I could find after researching on the internet and the best you can hope for is to get FM radio quality. I ended up buying a Pac Adapter. They connect to the back of your factory car stereo. And in my case, the song, artist, and album are displayed on my stereo and I control my ipod thru my stereo or my steering wheel controls. Your ipod becomes a hard drive really. I bought the wife a USA Spec adapter and she can control hers thru the ipod or thru the radio but she does not get song, and artist info. She has to look at her ipod. With these connectors you are getting better than CD quality. They also charge your ipod.
Mine is an 80g video and if I buy another adapter I can watch the movies from my ipod on my car stereo. I have a GM factory Nav unit.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
JavelinaRuss said:
never thought to look but does the transponders use AM Freqs to?
I seriously doubt it. If your transmitting with AM you are severly degrading your quality even compared to an FM transmitter.

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shady how much do those Pac Adapters run? I wouldn't put it in my work truck but my personal truck heck ya.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have mine hard wired into my radio as well in a 05 Chevy. I have an Axxess ipod unit that I bought on Ebay for around $40 when they were retailing for $150. The sound quality blows the FM transmitter or tape adapter away. It also works with the steering wheel controls. My playlists (up to 12) are tied to my presets or you can just play all the songs in order or at random.

The unit also charges the ipod. I just tied mine into the cigarette lighter power feed. It comes with enough cable to hide it away in a console or glove compartment. I just put mine in the space below the cupholders.

Here is the link to Axxess: http://www.axxessinterface.com/
It looks like it will run you between $70 and $100.

Here is a writeup I did with instructions and pics for a Chevy but should be similar for a Toyota. I used a relay to keep my XM radio, but you can probably skip that part.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/108250/post/750783/hl//fromsearch/1/#750777

1 - 20 of 21 Posts