2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Vendor
6,012 Posts
snapper

Yep.

Using fatally flawed MRFSS data by Crabtree and Co. to close AJ in season would set precedent for closing snapper and other species in the future, if left unchallenged.

A lawsuit is in the works.

Tom

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda got the idea that this little rumble I heard, could start an avalanche of things that end up being good for the Recreational Fisherman. Good to see some people are still able to put the rubber to the road so to speak. We all need to get behind this lawsuit and show our support.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but, I also saw that the FDA is thinking about banning the eating of raw oysters? I didn't even notice the move to China, how in heck did we get here as a nation? We are going to let them regulate us right back to England.

Rob C

·
Registered
608 Posts
So, I can't go catch my own fish to eat or eat oysters but I can eat all the McDonald's and all the other fast and processed food I want.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but, I also saw that the FDA is thinking about banning the eating of raw oysters? Rob C
I believe that is only during the warm water months, so as to prevent bacteria infection such as Vibrio ... Texas usually closes its oystering ahead of such events, anyway.

As to the Amberjack, an interesting rumble I should say. Keep us informed as to the proceedings!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Yep.

Using fatally flawed MRFSS data by Crabtree and Co. to close AJ in season would set precedent for closing snapper and other species in the future, if left unchallenged.

Tom
There was more to it than bad data, Tom. I don't "understand all I know" about it but it seems that some portion of the TAC was reallocated from recs to coms very recently, which resulted in the Rec. overharvest and shutdown. Pretty awful management. In NMFS very very feeble defense, however, it also seems as though the catch data (which comes in "waves") looked like it was tracking normally, then the last wave came in with a rec catch which surprised and caught everyone at NMFS off guard. Not a good excuse, but that's their story.

As far as the oysters, I was born and reared in the Midwest but one of the first things I learned when I moved to the Gulf Coast was that oysters were only worth eating during the cold months. I must say, the few times I've eaten warm weather oysters they were not very good (watery, tough, not meaty and full). So I don't see the issue there.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
There was more to it than bad data, Tom. I don't "understand all I know" about it but it seems that some portion of the TAC was reallocated from recs to coms very recently, which resulted in the Rec. overharvest and shutdown.
Pretty awful management. In NMFS very very feeble defense, however, it also seems as though the catch data (which comes in "waves") looked like it was tracking normally, then the last wave came in with a rec catch which surprised and caught everyone at NMFS off guard. Not a good excuse, but that's their story.

As far as the oysters, I was born and reared in the Midwest but one of the first things I learned when I moved to the Gulf Coast was that oysters were only worth eating during the cold months. I must say, the few times I've eaten warm weather oysters they were not very good (watery, tough, not meaty and full). So I don't see the issue there.
Edit - See Bob Zales post above for a better explanation

·
Got Wasabi?
2,635 Posts
Yep.

Tom
A good (eloquent)lawyer or two on our side that can expose Crabtree's BS after he testifies under oath is what I am hoping for.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What I'd like to see is to get under oath, his data collection methods, closure requirements, meeting minutes discussing the closures. As well as how decisions to increase commercial percentage of TAC were derived.

·
Registered
457 Posts
class action lawsuits are going on i believe in other parts of the country regarding fish closures. good to see its happening in the gulf now as well

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,283 Posts
I can't believe that AJ are allowed to be commercially harvested anyway.
Heck, they need to open a commercial season for Tiger Snapper (spade fish) (as the party boat hands call'm) offshore and Hard Head Catfish in shore.

Now that would make more sense be'ns that there's about 999.0 tillion pounds of them near Freeport alone
(I sound like a Goverment bail-out person now huh?)

They can have my "R Month" Bakers dozen Raw Oysters - catchup with horseradish n lemon and my saltines when they pry my cold slimy hands away from my little 3 prong oyster fork at Capt. Tom's on fm1960

The "now I'm hungry for oysters" Hog

·
Vendor
6,012 Posts
lawsuit

THE FRA FIGHTS FOR YOUR FISHING RIGHTS
Don't be fooled by imitators. The FRA TAKES ACTION.

The Fishing Rights Alliance Shark Tank is BUSY.

To all of our brothers and sisters in our fishing communities: The FRA will file a lawsuit against National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) over the in-season closure of Gulf of Mexico recreational Greater Amberjack. The effects of this closure will cause further (and unnecessary) harm the recreational sector. The suit will be filed in federal court in Tampa next week.

The NMFS has overstepped its bounds by using the fatally-flawed Marine Recreational Fishing Statistical Survey (MRFSS) as an in-season quota monitoring tool, giving less than five days notice that they closed Gulf Recreational Greater Amberjack for the remainder of 2009.

MRFSS has a specific limitation on its data. It takes a long time to compile and correct the data. MRFSS is unsuitable for use as an in-season quota monitoring tool.

MRFSS data is not even finalized until June of the YEAR FOLLOWING THE DATA COLLECTION. So this year's data will not even be final until June of NEXT YEAR.

Dr. Crabtree chose to ignore the US Congress' National Research Council report that stated that MRFSS was never designed for, nor is it capable of being used as an in-season quota monitoring tool. The MRFSS data is simply fatally flawed. Yet we have an administrator that seems to know better than the National Research Council. In what many see as punitive action, recreational anglers were given less than 5 days notice of the closure. If we were to let this go unchallenged, it would pave the way for NMFS to close Gag, Red Snapper, sand perch.... you name it.

Go to: http://www.thefra.org/newsupdate.htm to get more info and to contribute financially towards the lawsuit(s) forthcoming. The Shark Tank has proven to be successful in battling (and winning) the NMFS in court.

I donated $300 - anybody want to match it?

All the best,
Tom Hilton

1 - 20 of 38 Posts