2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Big Fish Wish!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://us.mc514.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Undisclosed-Recipient:,

Eunice , LA Radio Station -- (Katrina taught some nothing it seems)

I AM CONCERNED

By: Paul Marx

Owner of " Louisiana Proud" KBON 101.1FM

NOTE: Just so this is not interpreted to be a "racist" observation, let me make it clear that this writing refers to ALL races!!

What is going on? Why do some people feel that everyone else, including the government, owes them?? It seems that there are some people who think that in cases of emergencies they automatically become everyone else's responsibility and have none of their own? That needs to change!!

For Hurricane Gustave, I saw the vast majority of the people who were getting on evacuation buses, knowing there was a few hours of bus ride ahead of them, do so EMPTY HANDED! Not even a bottle of water for themselves or even their little children! They've had days to prepare, but they prepared nothing! How about a couple of sandwiches for the trip? No.

I watched the news and saw people complain about the place they had been evacuated to being "filthy" with trash! Many of those complainers are sitting or lying on cots furnished to them. Well, I'm sure it's not the volunteer workers who dirtied the place. My advice is get off your asses and clean up!!

For one of the past hurricanes, I received a phone call at KBON 101.1FM radio from an evacuation center in Opelousas . Keep in mind, this center had several hundred evacuees housed there for their safety. Well, the caller explained to me that there was an 18 wheeler that arrived with water, meals and other supplies, and asked if I would announce that they needed volunteers to help unload the truck. I have to tell you, I lost it. "You mean to tell me that you have hundreds of evacuees in that building and you want me to ask someone to leave their house and their family to come and unload THEIR truck?", I asked. Before the person could answer I recommended "I'll tell you what to do. Go inside and tell them the truck is there and needs to be unloaded and that you need volunteers. If no one offers to help, you simply lock up the back of the 18 wheeler and tell it to go somewhere else where it will be more appreciated".

I had another situation (I don't recall from where) that troubled me just as much. I recall this was a place with a couple hundred people. I received a call and was asked to announce that they needed volunteers to help serve meals. My advice again to that caller was to get some volunteers among the evacuees and if they refused, then simply don't serve food.

I am concerned that the day will come when we will have a lot of trouble finding anyone willing to open it's doors to the people who need to evacuate, and I cannot blame them if they choose to not make evacuees welcome. They have nothing to gain by doing so. People come into centers, halls, etc. and practically trash the place. They complain to the press about not being comfortable, the place being dirty, not liking the food, not getting water often enough, and more. Then they leave the place in filth!!

I am concerned that the day will come when people will not volunteer to leave their home and families to go and "wait on" people who have absolutely no appreciation of them and what they are doing to help. Imagine volunteering to help someone out of the goodness of your heart and not only, not being appreciated, but being criticized for your service. Personally, I'd rather stay home with my family then=2 0give my time to such ungrateful people and would not blame anyone for feeling the same way.

I saw on the news recently where the Red Cross was having problems getting donations to help the people hurricane Gustave victims in our area. Could it be that people around the country are seeing the "whiners" and the "unappreciative" and just don't feel like giving to such people, knowing it will not be appreciated? It's my belief that the American people are great, kindhearted and generous people, and are very willing to help people who are trying to help themselves but I think more & more of us Americans are feeling less & less generous to people who just don't appreciate it. It's important to know that no one owes you anything. It's important to know that people will help you a lot faster when they see you trying to help yourself.

I am concerned, and you should be too.

God bless America, God bless Louisiana and God bless you!

Paul Marx

KBON 101.1FM

www.kbon.com

·
non-politically correct
7,305 Posts
To be sure, this will never make main stream media presentation.

·
The Republic of Texas
4,595 Posts
I totally agree with the comments however, I would hope that people realize that a vast majority of Cajuns are not like that. IMO, most of the whining came from NO. Cajuns are much like Texans, they can take a punch from Mother Nature, dust themselves off, and fire up the chainsaws and start digging out helping one another.

Mike

·
Big Fish Wish!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Growing up in south Louisiana myself, I know that to be true. Its just that there are bad elements everywhere. Overall it is true that majority in Texas are like the majority in Louisiana...good people that go out of their way to help others.

It was an interesting perspective...especially after watching all the whining and bashing of power companies, govt officials, and FEMA the last few days. I venture to say that overall the emergency response to the storm has been very good, not with standing a few hiccups which should always be expected. Unfortunately, those folks will all be gone on to the next "big story".

texacajun said:
I totally agree with the comments however, I would hope that people realize that a vast majority of Cajuns are not like that. IMO, most of the whining came from NO. Cajuns are much like Texans, they can take a punch from Mother Nature, dust themselves off, and fire up the chainsaws and start digging out helping one another.

Mike

·
The Republic of Texas
4,595 Posts
Yessir....compare this evacuation to the Rita evacuation. I think we did well.

Before folks go bashing all those "Service" entities, we should consider walking a mile in their shoes. All those people must be exhausted with little to no thanks.

I do totally agree with Mr. Paul Marx. It always seems to be the bad apples that get the media coverage.

Mike

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
LaAngler said:
for the most part it's just the new orleans blacks...
I agree with you 100 % but you are going to take a hit for that one. Oh Hell hit me too. There are low class, "poor me" people in both states but I have not seen the magnitude of "You white folks need to take care of me." like it was seen in New Orleans.
One of the first interviews of evacuees I saw right after Ike was a black guy saying "It would be nice if they had a little care package for me with a razor, shaving cream, deodorant and maybe some gum." He didn't know he was going to need that stuff.
Pat

·
Registered
401 Posts
I dont know if this one is real or not and i'm guessing it's been posted here already but i got a kick out of it.....

"Dear Editor,

I am a nurse who has just completed volunteer working approximately 120 hours as the clinic director in a Hurricane Gustav evacuation shelter in Shreveport , Louisiana over the last 7 days. I would love to see someone look at the evacuee situation from a new perspective. Local and national news channels have covered the evacuation and "horrible" conditions the evacuees had to endure during Hurricane Gustav. True - some things were not optimal for the evacuation and the shelters need some modification.
At any point, does anyone address the responsibility (or irresponsibility) of the evacuees? Does it seem wrong that one would remember their cell phone, charger, cigarettes and lighter but forget their child's insulin? Is something amiss when an evacuee gets off the bus, walks immediately to the medical area, and requests immediate free refills on all medicines for which they cannot provide a prescription or current bottle (most of which are narcotics)?
Isn't the system flawed when an evacuee says they cannot afford a $3 co pay for a refill that will be delivered to them in the shelter yet they can take a city-provided bus to Wal-mart, buy 5 bottles of Vodka, and return to consume them secretly in the shelter? Is it fair to stop performing luggage checks on incoming evacuees so as not to delay the registration process but endanger the volunteer staff and other persons with the very realistic truth of drugs, alcohol and weapons being brought into the shelter?
Am I less than compassionate when it frustrates me to scrub emesis from the floor near a nauseated child while his mother lies nearby, watching me work 26 hours straight, not even raising her head from the pillow to comfort her own son?
Why does it insense me to hear a man say "I ain't goin' home 'til I get my FEMA check" when I would love to just go home and see my daughters who I have only seen 3 times this week? Is the system flawed when the privately insured patient must find a way to get to the pharmacy, fill his prescription and pay his co pay while the FEMA declaration allows the uninsured person to acquire free medications under the disaster rules?
Does it seem odd that the nurse volunteering at the shelter is paying for childcare while the evacuee sits on a cot during the day as the shelter provides a "daycare"?
Have government entitlements created this mentality and am I facilitating it with my work? Will I be a bad person, merciless nurse or poor Christian if I hesitate to work at the next shelter because I have worked for 7 days being called every curse word imaginable, feeling threatened and fearing for my personal safety in the shelter?

Exhausted and battered,
Sherri H*******, RN"

·
Big Fish Wish!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Race is not really a factor with the entitlement crowd...theres as much white trash out there as is blacks and others that take advantage of the system..

People should be told ahead of time that they will be required (those that are able) to volunteer to work and help out where they are needed. That in itself will save $$$$$$ in relief aid because lots will just not show up then. Personally I rather see our tax dollars go to refunding expenses for generators, lost food, lost homes, roofs, and other belongings to to those that pay into the system, appreciate it for what its for, and can be counted on to helping others when the tables are turned. Best I can tell most 2Coolers are those type of good people.

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
I spent the weekend in Del Rio, getting S.A. news on the TV, hearing the same thing about Houston evacuees that we said about N.O. people during Katrina. Not as bad yet, but it's the same place we were a week after the storm hit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts