2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I'm a believer;believe I'll have another
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an extra live well on my boat that would be perfect for a fish box; however, it's not insulated. I used in back in the fall for such and the ice quickly melted even though the ambient temperature was cool, so I can only imagine how long it would last in the summertime. Anyway, has anyone ever undertaken a task, and if so, would it be something simple like styrofoam and adhesive or is there something else you guys recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you can get to all three sides and the bottom you can use the cans of foam insulation found at home depot. There are two types one expands quite a bit and the other doesn't expand much. I would use the latter. But you need to be careful not to spray to much in as the expansion can cause damage if it has no where to go. Good luck and good fishing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I actually did this task. I went to the foam factory & got a sheet of 1" thick styrafoam? did some serious measuring, got a fine tooth blade on the sabre saw & went to town. I even did the ceiling & underneath the hatch lid. I used a spray adhesive 3m, that worked the best by far, as I have tried and failed before on this. ONce the pieces are all in place, I used 3m silicone to fill in all the gaps (you will have a little), If the pieces are too snug to each other, they tend to come unglued and rise. ONce that was finished, I used a roofing material (snow roof) to seal the entire box(3 layrers). The drain I made was from the clear tubing found at home depot, cut at an angle, glued in with silicone. The thing is not to damage the box, once it leaks-it is all over with, the bottom will rise & come unglued. If you use it wisely, it will last, just no sharp objects in there. The ice holds really well, good luck!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts