2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I took the 17' whaler out in the gulf again Sunday. After running about 2 miles, we found a big pod of mullet/shad. Water looked good, so we set up a drift a little upwind of them and started drifting towards the bait with a fresh shad under a balloon and one freelined.

We picked up a couple of small sharks, then started getting in the gafftops. I've always heard that catching gafftops is a good sign for tarpon.

About 10 mins later, we get a big run and lose a fish with no teeth marks. Then, we see a single tarpon come up about 50 yards from the boat. Then another one free jumped about 100 yards away. We were thinking we might have had a tarpon on because whatever it was hit like a freight train and we already saw that the leader didn't show any teethmarks.

We were still around the bait for about another hour, but couldn't even get another shark of gafftop on and never saw another tarpon.

We ran another 5 miles and found lots more bait. Never saw another tarpon, but had 15 sharks (blacktips and spinners) to an honest 8' (biggest was 1' longer than my 7' trout rod) and 7 kings to 25 lbs.

One time, my dad had a 6' shark and I had a 7' shark, I was on the bow and he was on the stern. Both sharks were swimming counterclockwise and were spinning the boat around fairly quickly. It was crazy!

The kings were so thick, we decided to skip some sardines on top at about 15 mph (didn't want to lose jigs to sharks) and I think we caught 3 of them doing that and lost a bunch more. It sure is fun watching those things skyrocket out of the water trying to catch up to the bait.

It was like a mirror out there and we only burned 9 gallons of gas for the day, lol.

I'll post up some pics sometime.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awesome, there is nothing cooler than going offshore in your bay boat catching some nice fish and the big pond is like glass.Catching them on trout rods makes it that much sweeter.Yeah you lose some tackle but wow.I broke my handle off on one of my shimanos Sunday offshore on a king.There was a little corrosion under the handle that I never saw and that was all it took.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's some pics....

I didn't get a pic of my dad's big king on my digital (ran out of batteries), but luckily I had a disposable one out there and we took a couple pics and let it go.

Attachments

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more pic...

Kept the two smallest kings. It's tough to fit one in a 48 qt igloo, lol.

We didn't catch anything on a trout rod. It is highly advised not to do it when sharks are around. I fought a 4.5' shark on a calcutta 250 about 3 years ago and after 45 mins it burned up my drag and I broke my rod. We like to use TLD 20's w/ 40 pound line on heavy rods.

We did get some good jumps from the sharks. The 8'er peeled off about 100 yards of line in 5 seconds and then went totally airborne. It was way cool!

Attachments

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also forgot to add that we didn't have gloves or a gaff. (I won't forget gloves ever again!) It sure was fun trying to grab the kings tails and 250 pound mono leader with a big shark on it with a bare hand, lol.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SpanishFly33 said:
awesome! looks like fun but what do you do once you get the shark to the boat? just cut the line??
If it's small enought to handle, we'll bring it in the boat. Anything outside of that comfort zone gets brought along side the boat, head pulled out of the water and the leader cut off right at the hook. After that, a new hook is tied on.

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
were u using circle hooks--i am now a beliver in them---i was out there sat and sunday-- they work great---i was also insearch of tarpon-- that was the sole reason we traved 5 hours-- we did not see any--congradulations on spoting them--i hope to one day---we also got sharks and kings and spanish mackeral---i hope to hear u caught a tarpon one day

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haparks said:
were u using circle hooks--i am now a beliver in them---i was out there sat and sunday-- they work great---i was also insearch of tarpon-- that was the sole reason we traved 5 hours-- we did not see any--congradulations on spoting them--i hope to one day---we also got sharks and kings and spanish mackeral---i hope to hear u caught a tarpon one day
Yep, circle hooks. I like to use 14/0 and offset them about 3/8" or so. They hookup better that way and it still hooks them in the corner of the mouth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts