2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday, I will be taking my eight year old son fishing from Seabrook and I'am looking for any tips for fishing along the ship channel or anywhere else over there. I usually fish from the east side and am not too familiar with the west side.

Patiently waiting
Ronnie Locke

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
If weather permits, and be careful on the channel with a kid. anyway 74 , 54 and around 52 areas have been good. You will see the boats just ease in slowly or with trolling motor and give others there space. If you fish around 54 on west side be very careful when ship comes(6ft waves).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Shipchannel

Straight out from Eagle Point to The big oil platform
Marker 52 Fish with chartruese worms on bottom
that's what the guides were fishing with last saturda;y
Go over the ship channel in that area around the spoil;
banks

·
12,607 Posts
LOL ,,ya be careful leaving eagle though watch the reef on the right if your not familiar with the area there. And 52 is south of the platforms and south when you leave eagle. 54 is strait out it's A-1 platform fish between small rig and large rig at 54.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You didn't ask, and Jerry didn't put me up to this, but Jerry Franklin is a guide and has put me on both specks and big reds around the various structures out of the Eagle Point Marina. If they have any live croakers, get some. Try various spots, if fish are there and you are using live bait you won't have to wait too long. No bite, move. You have a good chance of making some lifetime memories and a fun trip. Bob S

·
Registered
23 Posts
Need advice. Want to fish these areas but afraid of big ship waves. Have small boat- 17' alum flat bottom. Is it too risky to go out there in this boat? Don't want to get flipped.

Waterspout - If I stay away from #54 will I be OK?

·
12,607 Posts
Just keep your eyes open. If you go across the channel to the east side you will be fine, if you stay on the west side off the channel on the reef watch your self. those waves on a full tanker are breaking at about 6plus foot. But you can pull anchor and move thirty yards off the reef and you are ok.Just remeber on the channel or off when a ship comes through and your on shallow flat the wake has to go somewhere, and that is up! Even if your way off the channel on a reef watch for that dang wake.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
As long as your in 8-10' of water the wake off of the ship is more of a swell or roller. If it's any shallower than that they start to break and white cap. If you keep your eyes open you should have plenty of time to move if need be.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Just make sure you have enough anchor rope. I carry 150' of rope with 4' of chain then the anchor. Don't tie up to the channel markers either. Those tankers push alot of water and all you want to do is let your boat ride up and then down on the swell. I don't think those tanker jockey's have a speed limit or a create no wake zone!!!!

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Hey Hop! Should we pull anchor? Too late, hold on !!!!! Bring back any memories??

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
Rofl!

That was a different story though.. We were sitting on a flat catching :bluefish:, drinking :brew: and never saw that one coming. :eek: We heard swooosh roooaar, then looked up to a big arse wave that i could have surfed. :help: lol
It broke as soon as it hit the bar and luckly by the time it got to us it was a 2' fast moving wave of white wash. Pretty scary stuff, so now we make it a point to anchor in atleast 5' with plenty of anchor line. Oh, and beer holders. You need both hands to hold on at times like these. heh
--Hop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts