2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site and posted this under the General Forum and thought I should have posted it here so I apologize for the double entry.

I would like to try fishing the surf on Matagorda Beach between the Colorado River and the Caney Creek Boat cut at Sargent. I've fished the boat cut many times and saw lots of vehicles that had driven up from Matagorda but seem to remember them being 4wd. Can anyone provide information as to how far up this beach a person can go in a 2wd pickup. Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
719 Posts
you can make it maybe 4 miles when its packed but if u dont have 4wd dont drive that far just wade the surf within the first couple of miles

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have personally drove 12 or 13 miles on the beach in 2 wheel drive with no problem at all. Just DO NOT LET OFF THE GAS! My best fishing off that beach front is around the cedar tress 6 or 7 miles down. (I am always in 2 wheel drive). I think to myself the trophy trucks are 2 wheel drive. (Thats what I hear). Good luck!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Back in the 70's we drove all the way to Brown Cedar cut in a 2 wheel drive car on quite a few occasions but it doesn't mean I;d tell folks to load up and go do it. If you catch the beach and tide right you can go anywhere you want. If not you are taking a chance driving that far in a 2wd on a typical summer day. What generally happens is folks do that, push it a little too far and then they are flagging me down to pull them out.

I spend a lot of time on the beach in Matagorda and I see it all the time. Then folks expect I am going to stop and pull them out when I am on the way fishing. What ticks me off is not helping someone out, it is that they go and do some laimbrain stuff like try to drive down the beach in a 2wd pickup and then expect that folks coming thru in a 4x4 are obligated to drop what they are doing, interupt their fishing trip to pull their ignorant tails out of a spot they should never have been in to begin with. And 9 times out of 10 we use my strap, my shovel, my jack, my diesel and then I get a thank you, if that, and I am the one who gets to go home and clean up and put away everything we used to get them out.

If someone is down on the first few miles of beach and tries to turn around or whatever and gets stuck, hey, no big deal. I'll get them out and I don't mind a bit. What I am saying is to purposely go down there in a 2wd truck and tell yourself "If I go real fast and don't stop I think I can make it..." and then rely on other folks to get you out of a jamb is not good. Just like the guys with 4x4s who go and play in the mudholes behind the dunes, get stuck and come walking out onto the beach expecting someone to come help them. Don't do stupid stuff. That is all I am saying.

I live close by and have fished the beach here all my life and I deal with this stuff all the time. This is a major pet peeve of mine so excuse the rant.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Salty Dog

Have never fished the beach at all. Reportedly going this coming Sunday with others that have done it once. In 4x4 vehicles.

A few questions if you don't mind.

I see that shovel, jacks and chain are good things. Any sense in letting air on tires low? Or other tips on driving etc...

And how does one fish the surf? Bait, lures, how far out, what do you look for? I cannot swim so I'll be the idiot out there with a vest on for sure?

Do the fish bite at certain times, I"m assuming tides don't mean much etc....

Just want to get this crowd(mostly my 3 teenage nephews) moving the right direction, leaving here early enough to be there before daylight and what to look for etc....

Also if we use bait, where to buy that time of day, any beach permits, how to get them, what time does that permit place open etc....

BAsically your total newbie wanting to do things safe, right, and maybe by accident catch a fish or two.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
You have to have a beach permit to drive on the beach and you can get them at most of the stores and baitcamps in Matagorda. I know for sure Stanley's and Rawling's bait camp sells them and I think they are both open by 5 am but call and see. The county usually has someone at the entrance to the beach selling them on the weekends too, I do not know when they get there as they are not there when I get there before daylight but are when I come out.

Tide is very important when fishing the surf. When the tide is high you will catch trout in close, when it falls out the fish fall out with it.

I don't soak meat in the surf for sharks, big reds, etc so I really can't help you much on that type fishing. When i fish the surf it is wading for trout when the surf is calm and greens up. I just wade with lures and there is a whole lot of good info on this site regarding what lures to use in the surf. I throw a lot of topwaters and bass assassins, same stuff I use in the bay. Mirrolures and spoons are a good bet too. Just whatever you feel confident in really. Lots of guys use live shrimp under a popping cork too or croakers or mullet.

What I look for when I fish the surf is what we call "washes". There are sand bars that parallel the beach and in spots the current will cut thru those sand bars making a wash. In these spots it is deeper and has more current. I catch a lot of trout going down the beach and hitting wash after wash. It is hard to describe what to look for but easy to show. Basically you are looking for spots that look different, the waves act different. On either side of a wash the waves may be gently breaking while in the wash the same waves flatten out and don't break. You can also see water ripping out toward the gulf in these spots if you look closely.

As far as how far out to fish it really all depends on the fish. We catch trout standing on dry sand and fishing the first gut and we catch trout out chest deep. You just have to look at the tide and figure out where you need to be with a little trial and error.

The other thing to be looking for is baitfish. If there is no bait in the water then keep moving until you find some. Find the bait and you will find the predators.

I grew up fishing the beach and learned early on the value of being prepared. I always carry a high lift jack, a shovel and a tow strap in my truck and alwasy have plenty to drink. So far in over 20 years of fishing the surf down here I have gotten stuck a couple times down there but have never had to have someone else pull me out. The key is to stop when you get in a bind. Stop, get out, dig out from around your tires and try again but if you are not going forward then stop. If you are not going forward and you are spinning your tires then all you are doing is making things worse. The next thing is to jack up the tires, shovel out the loose sand, gather up some driftwood, put it under the tires and try again. This has worked very well for me. Where folks really get in a major bind is they panic and just bury their truck to the frame. Then you really are in for some work to get it out. It also helps not to do stupid stuff. If it looks like you can't drive thru a spot then don't drive thru it. Use some good judgement.

I don't let the air out of my tires although it is a well known trick for driving on sand. I don't need to do that. I have better than average ground clearance and wide enough tires on my truck that driving on the beach is a piece of cake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts