2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know of a good life jacket for an infant? Picked one up from Academy yesterday and it don't look like it'll work for our 3 week old son. Too bulky and swallowed him. Label stated 0-30#'s but looks like it's better suited for 20-40.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
I personally wouldn't subject a 3 week old baby to any environment that would require a life jacket. I'm still hvae not put my youngest son (1 year) on a boat in a life jacket. I've seen kids roll over face down in those life jackets and not be able to roll back over. To me it just ain't worth it. I know the chances are slim that there would be a problem, but, that small chance ain't worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Our Babies Doctor said not to subject them to crowds or very much outdoors activities till they got their 3 month shots. They are now 7 months old and I still wouldn't take them out in a boat just yet. But that is my opinion.

·
Banned
12,705 Posts
look for Speedo, they make one for toddlers that is spandex and zips up the front with flotation sewn inside.... nice snug fit..... not certain if they make one for infants, but the toddlers' jackets are nice

jc

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,918 Posts
I have an 8 month old, haven't had him in the boat yet. i am like the rest of these guys, a little hesitant. i have had him in the river swimming in a little inner tube float (right under my nose and won't turn my back!) I am looking for one for him though. i'll have him out pretty soon, probably around 10 months

·
Registered
144 Posts
Agree with above...

I went through the same thing when I had my son. You want to do so many things with him and start asap. But you really can't until he's older. I just took my 1.5 year old son out for the first time which in hindsight is the youngest I would go. I was all excited to get him out there and what does he do? Sleep.

He did catch his first fish afer he woke up though. A nice 12" speck on a shrimp. The start of a great career!

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
got one from

jc said:
look for Speedo, they make one for toddlers that is spandex and zips up the front with flotation sewn inside.... nice snug fit..... not certain if they make one for infants, but the toddlers' jackets are nice
jc
Bass Pro Shops, for my 2-1/2 yo stepson. He loves it, but it did take 3-4 times swimming in it, before he was able to keep from going either face down, or over backwards. You have to be careful, because he knew he could float in it, he began to get the superman complex. He was fearless about jumping off the side of the pool, or even trying to walk out futher at the beach. We've always had him 100% supervised by either myself, or my wife, but it does bear extra caution.

On the positive side, he's getting some basic swimming skills, and the confidence, not to be afraid of the water, or even dunking his head.

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
Life Jacket

You mean the wife is willing to go on a boat after 3 weeks .......way to go man...LOL I have 5yr and a 2.5 yr old and the youngest has the speedo for the pool BUT is not uscg approved and of course he loves it. His life jacket on the boat is uscg approved and has the strap that runs through the legs and it is a snug fit and of corse he hates it.
I had my boys on the boat around 1,5 yr old but that is our way of life the young one is starting to swim and the oldest thinks he is a fish so hang in their your time is a comming
3 weeks just show him what wet is and get some sleep..... after 3 weeks I think that is when they got collicgee (sp?) and sleep was a good thing lol
If you live in Houston or Galveston shoot me a PM I still have our old vest and you can come and get them as they out grow them
joker

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
BertS said:
Bass Pro Shops, for my 2-1/2 yo stepson. He loves it, but it did take 3-4 times swimming in it, before he was able to keep from going either face down, or over backwards. You have to be careful, because he knew he could float in it, he began to get the superman complex. He was fearless about jumping off the side of the pool, or even trying to walk out futher at the beach. We've always had him 100% supervised by either myself, or my wife, but it does bear extra caution.

On the positive side, he's getting some basic swimming skills, and the confidence, not to be afraid of the water, or even dunking his head.
What ever you do, don't let him watch JAWs. I did and hate being in water above my head and swimming in the lake with a deep bottom is real real spooky to me. :)

I would also think that subjecting a 3 week old to the sunlight and stuff is wrong as well. 3 weeks is not old enough for sun screen or mosquito spray. If you must, by ll means do it, as it is your kid, but ask a doctor and see what they tell ya. Good luck.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
InfamousJ said:
What ever you do, don't let him watch JAWs. I did and hate being in water above my head and swimming in the lake with a deep bottom is real real spooky to me. :)
J, he witnessed a 4 foot sandbar shark, caught during the gathering, and it never slowed him down. Just admit it, you finally watched Jaws, last year, and never been the same again. lol

I agree, 3 weeks is a bit early. They eat every two hours, so be sure to bring the milk factory......lol......and the automated diaper changer.....on the upside, should be easy to create yer own slick.........ROTF!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is not my first child. My oldest son was out in the boat at less than a year old. Would have been sooner but he was born on October and we didn't get out much during the winter + my wife hated our last boat. I only plan on going out 20 or so miles at night. Just kidding, settle down. What I plan on doing is just toodling around a bit in calm water, probably Dickinson Bayou and we have shade. Don't plan on taking him unless I consider it safe, can find a life jacket I feel will be comfortable and USCG approved. I'll only toss him in the water once to see if it works.:spineyes: If I can't find a decent jacket, I'll just have to use a Grandma card and get her to watch him. I understand some of y'alls concerns but I feel that under the right conditions (weather, water, crowd) it's no worse than sticking him in a carseat and driving down the freeway in Houston. Hell, last week we took him to Hooters. When he woke up he thought it was a buffet. Thanks. BS

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just took my son on his first boat ride at 9months but it was a special short trip for him (he loved it). He's kinda a big boy (25 lbs) but is still swallowed whole by the life vest. My rule is that everyone wears a live vest if he is in the boat(should probably always be the rule). If , God forbid, we are thrown out of the boat it is up to the big guys to rescue him. Much better chance if everyone has on a life vest. Also, my son and I go swimming (in a pool) and dive underwater so he knows that you can't breath underwater. Before I get serious about taking him out often I'm going to make sure he can self sustain in that big old red life vest. A short trip in calm waters or on a big vessel w/o much traffic probably poses little risk for little guys but he's gonna hate that life vest. Teach him to love and respect the water.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sams has a neopreme type jacket that works great for my 2.5 year old son. I highly suggest one of these over the regular vest type jackets. He has no problem swimming with it. Just looking for a jacket for the little one. Mama's getting cabin fever. BTW, he's almost a wopping 4 wks and 12 pounds now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts