2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
2COOL- My home away from fish...
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an inexpensive spinning reel for one of my rods. My main setup is a Chronarch 200 on either my ARS 6' 6" medium topwater or Gundog 6' 6" medium light with 30# Super Slick. The one I need a reel for is a 6'6" Scotty's medium light split grip that was given to me. Right now, it has a junky Quantum Optix 40 that I had on an old Ugly Stick. That thing is clunky and weighs almost 12 ounces. I was looking at maybe something like a Lew's Speed Spin 200A, a Penn Fierce, or maybe an Okuma or something to see if I really even like throwing spinners. The Quantum is such a heavy piece of junk that it isn't fair to judge if I like it or not with it. The rod itself is SUPER light, but the brick takes all the fun out of it. Any suggestions on inexpensive spinners? I want to stick to around $50 or so right now until I see how I like it. After that, I'll probably get an Abu or Shimano for it if I decide to use it more.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Fulbright Custom rods
1,799 Posts
$50 wont do much for you. Sorry. Step up to $89 for a Sahara or $99 for a Symetra and your doing some good upgrading. Otherwise save your pennies.

You could try to find a last year model of the those reels at Academy they were clearenced at $29.88 Sahara, and the Symetra at $49.88 good luck on that.

·
Friends dont let friends paddle pelicans
497 Posts
Lew's Lews Speed Spin SS300 Spinning Reel RECONDITIONED 29.99 from ebay best bang for the buck my 2 pennys i have had mine for about a year super light

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Shimano AX2500 or AX4000..

$25 and if they go bad, chunk it.

I get two years out of them for the most part, and thats guiding... Great reels for the money

I keep a spare on the boat always of course

Capt Thomas

·
The Stingray Whisperer~
186 Posts
I have a few Shimano Sienna 2500 that work great. For around $30 (or less) you'll get a reel that will last with care. It also doubles up for an economical spare if you're really rough on them or have friends joining. Pretty much do a reel cost per year ratio and see if it matches your budget.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Quantum, got it at same time as my sahara and it goes fishing not quite a much, but almost as much as my sahara. Corrosion is worse on the sahara than the quantum and it costs about $20 less. Definately gunna pick up another one. May be just my own experience but i am impressed!

Russ

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just put a Sienna 4000 on a medium/heavy action Ugly Stik with 12lb. mono and I love it. Will use it as a boat rod and will horse in anything that I will hook. Guides around this area use the same reel in 2500 for a couple of years with their clients and then toss them after a couple of years or so. Cheaper than the increased pricing on the Sedona which have lasted me for years! Thought the Symetre was overpriced and noisy and paid 99$ for it.

·
Snook Guide SPI
4,699 Posts
I own about 6 Sedona's and only one has gone bad on me. I use them about 4 times a week. I will say the Sienna is a pretty good reel for the money... I have two of them and they seem to hold up just fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got a Shimano Sienna also have had no problem with it very smooth and I landed a 38" red on it a few weeks ago. Drag worked great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
$50 wont do much for you. Sorry. Step up to $89 for a Sahara or $99 for a Symetra and your doing some good upgrading. Otherwise save your pennies.

You could try to find a last year model of the those reels at Academy they were clearenced at $29.88 Sahara, and the Symetra at $49.88 good luck on that.
x2

·
Registered
753 Posts
Gander Mountain has the Quantum Catalyst PT on sale for $59. Regularly $129. It is a fantastic reel. Even at $129. I own one and use it more than my high dollar Stradic.
Took a buddy fishing for a couple of days and he constantly picked up the Quantum over the Stradic and Penn Battles.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Gander Mountain has the Quantum Catalyst PT on sale for $59. Regularly $129. It is a fantastic reel. Even at $129. I own one and use it more than my high dollar Stradic.
Took a buddy fishing for a couple of days and he constantly picked up the Quantum over the Stradic and Penn Battles.
My mistake. They have the Quantum Accurist PT.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts