2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have yalls attention here's the story.

Last nite at the lease after two days of hard work its time to shower. I get the water warm and step in and close the curtain. Now mind you I dont have on my glasses on in the shower and I notice this "thing" coming up from the drain. Without glasses I think maybe snake, so I leave the shower at a rapid clip and wrap my self in a dirty T shirt, water everywhere (well it was horrible) if you can imagine. My buddy was outside (thanks for that) and didnt hear a thing. I found a spatula from the kitchen and returned to the shower for a knife fight with the thing. Didnt want to shoot holes in the bottom of the tub. He was real mad and bad and put up a terrible fight but old age and treachery prevailed.

Any body have any idea about this creature ? He was maybe 8 or 9 inches long. Shure looked like he could hurt someone. I dont have a clue.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
This looks like it.

Scolopendra heros castaneiceps
This centipede is our visual favorite for obvious reasons. Body color is blue to purple to black with bright yellow legs and a brilliant orange head. To us these sometimes don't quite look real. A healthy and hungry Sonoran desert species, these still benefit from being misted. Crickets and cockroaches are ideal foods. Darrin captured an 8 inch castaneiceps once that was crossing the road at night on the way to an American Tarantula Society show in Carlsbad, New Mexico. The problem that immediately presented itself was that of getting 8 inches of biting speed demon into a 4 inch deli cup...

I just looked up centipedes in Texas and found this for yeah.
I wonder if the 2 things in the tail are stingers?

Sandy

·
Reel Boy - Team Reel Blessed
1,827 Posts
11andy11 said:
heck yeah it will sting you. They are real aggressive. Used to have one as a pet.
Did you take showers with it?:) :eek: Those things give me the creeps just like scorpions do.

·
Registered
723 Posts
We've killed 4 of those in the house here in Roswell, along with 8 scorpions. I'm ready to get back to Texas and out of the desert.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Bait

Charlie, glad your OK. I think it's about the right size for a 3/0 Kahle hook at the jetties when you get home. Trout have got to love that color , LOL. Be safe , GC.

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
I had one I caught a few years back at a construction site. He was a good 6 inches long, and loved to eat crickets. I actually sold it on Craiglist for $25, and later found out I could have gotten more.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Those things are creepy. We went out on a last minute hog hunt with my Dad Saturday. Went to pull my sheets off the mattress to load up and go and found a scorpion between the sheet and the mattress....YIKES!!!! I hate when that happens.

·
"Whatever one sows, he will also reap"
789 Posts
scorpions!

Saw one of these at the West Texas lease saturday, reachn for the protein bags in the feed shed! It scurried under a pallet and I didnt investigate! Still almost too close for comfort. Hadn't seen a big bad black one before.

·
RIP HRCH Daniels Sonny Slough 05.24.2016
1,571 Posts
I kill at least 2 or 3 of em each yr at my house. One night I heard one crawling on the baseboards in my masterbed room (It litteraly woke me up) and I got up, turned on the light and sure enough, it was big one, went and got a shoe and beat the hell out of it. Nasty critters for sure. We got scorpions too!!

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Id almost play with a stingray over a Centipede..
Yuk..I hate Bugs!!!

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
A friend was hospitalized several years back from a bite from one of those centipedes. He was gardening, picked up a rock and bam ... it hit him. He was allergic to the venom and spent a week under doctor's care.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts