2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pop-up camper and I would like to have a generator so that I can run the ac when we're camping in areas where there are no hook-ups. Any idea what a good moderately priced one would be that is quiet? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
How many amps does the A/C draw? That's really important because most lower wattage generators come with 10 amp circuit breakers. Check your A/C and then start matching up generators that will provide enough juice.

GY

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Be certain to consider the compressor "start up" amp draw and not just the amp or wattage required once it it is up and running...

As far as quiet...Honda...Honda...and Honda...Stay away from any and all brands from Home depot, Lowes, etc. if you want quiet...I went thru that senerio on my houseboat...

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
a standard RV plug is 30 amps of 120VAC and the standard RV generator is 4000 watts or 4KW (same thing) at 120VAC . Hondas are worth the money when it comes to quiet, long life and dependablity. There's a big difference between 120 VAC and 240 VAC gensets, so know what you are looking for. The right one will have the RV plug on the side of it with the other plugs.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I don't think the little Honda would be the right choice for a 'full size' RV by any means. With a pop-up camper or the little Casita that we had...it was the perfect choice. Light, quiet and dependable. The do make a harness that allows running two of them parallel but at twice the cost.lol.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Yep....That wise sales company are good folks to buy from...May have some units on sale from time to time...

Couple of my fishing buds have the Honda 2000 i units and they are so quiet you can sit in a 16 foot boat, have the unit running and still talk to each other...

The 2000i will handle two 1000 watt fishing lights with no problem...

Remember to keep that gennie way far away from where you are sleeping so the
fumes do not put you to sleep permanently...

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
Jim, the 2000 watt one will pull the a/c on the popup? If so, then that's the one to get for sure. There's a 100 pound difference between it and the 3000 watt that has the 30 amp connector. I forgot that the portable ones use twistlocks to keep them from vibrating out. My Onan on the Warrior has an 8 HP, one cylinder 3600 RPM honda engine on it. Darn fine machine. I have over 500 hours on it, and it runs like a top.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have 3 from last years hurricane, bought new, ran them for about 5 days till the elec. came back on, PM me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info, I'm stuck at work until next Wed. My wife is going to call me tonight with the info from the manual that came with it. I'm new to this rv/camper stuff and generators. I do know the camper runs off of a 30amp.

I like the Honda's but size is where I'm confused. All I know that when the unit cycles it can damage the ac unit or the generator one if they aren't properly matched. That's also something that isn't clear to me.

I'll post up the info when she calls.

Thanks

·
Red Path
51 Posts
If you want a less expensive quiet generator look at a Kipor. It is a China Honda knock off. I bought it on line for much less then a Honda.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Mont...we had the Casita 17' camper and the Honda would run AC with not problems. It would not run the AC and Microwave at the same time though. The Casita group will mount the Honda on the front tongue area of the camper. The Casita Club is a awesome group of people that have rallys throughout the year. The one at Bandera last April had 114 Casita's show up! It's a very well built camper.
http://www.casitaforum.com/

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Sam's Has A 5k With A Honda Engine So They Say, For $500 A Little Cheaper Than The Complete Honda Setup. The Good Thing About A Generator Is The Camping Might End As Soon As It Starts But You Can Use The Generator For All Kinds Of Things.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I have a 3000 watt Honda EU series and it runs everything on a 28' travel trailer as well as a couple of lights on the front deck, I have never had to worry about the microwave and a/c. The sticker shock of the Honda's suck but after the initial purchase you will not be dissapointed, I had a 4000 watt Generac that I had purchased from Home Depot and it was not as bad as some but had to run the generator about 50-75' away from the trailer to keep from hearing it over the tv or ac.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts