2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy my first boat and it already has a GPS/depthfinder on it but it's not that good of one. I don't mind spending a couple hundred $$ on a new one if it will help me stay out of trouble back in the bays. Should I go with a handheld or one that mounts to the console? Could anyone suggest a good GPS, not top of the line but good?

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
I use the Garmin 498c, it comes preloaded with the BlueChart and covers Brownsville to Morgan City, LA. I guess importance is to each his own, to me I spent a little more to get a really nice one, the biggest thing is learning to use it and trusting it once you get your tracks and routes set in it.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Garmin

I got the Garmin 178c when I bought my boat. It was top of the line when I got it but now I think they are priced much better at around $500. I love it and it has really been a life saver when running from place to place. I never realized how much time I could save by running point A to point B. lol Handhelds are ok but unless you buy the mount you'll get sick of holding it or trying to catch it when it bounces off. Good luck

Z

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
If you get the hand held get the Magellan or the largest Garmin screen available. The Garmin etrex series is a joke the screen is so small. It's fine if you just use the "go to"
pointer function, but if you load the maps it's too small for all the detail. IMO
I'd get a B&W fixed mount since they're a lot cheaper. What do you need color for? It's not like you're going to be watching a movie! What's next down loading ring-tones to your GPS? LOL

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
After you get over the financial squeeze of buying the hard mount unit , go ahead and get a cheaper hand held. Then you'll have it in others boats, at the deer lease etc.. Don't forget how to use a map and compass either . Hi tech fails occsionally, ususally when it's at its most inconvenient.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
What kind of GPS/Depthdinder do you have? I have a Eagle 250 GPS/Sounder and it works pretty good, most of the time I leave it in full screen depth finder because I also have a Garmin 168 that I got cheap. The Eagle is easy to use comes preloaded with maps and after playing with it for a while is fairly idiot proof and they only cost about $200.00. Side by side with both GPS units running there is not a huge difference. And I'm with SpanishFly on handhelds as I want my hands free and they have small screens.

Later, Ken

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
Forget a hand held they are almost impossible to read while ruinning...

Color will cost but that is your choice ....

I have some great deals on Garmin 188 and 182C units right now...If I can assist let me know...

John

·
All my friends say.....
7,419 Posts
I have the 178c with the blue chart. The screen is easy to read evey in the bright sun. It has worked well for me. No complaints.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
SpanishFly I meant to say I'm with ********* on the handhelds as I think there are some inexpensive alternatives. The color GPS's are great but I can't justify buying one on my budget if my budget was bigger or if was able to fish more often I would get one. Later, Ken

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Kraymond...any tips I'm using my 250 for the first time tomarrow. Mostly for Marking Major fishing spots and stuff. Only problem I had is when I hooked it up and tested it on the trailer....it read 7' when the trailer only is maybe 1-2" off the ground. Do you know how to adjust that?

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
I agree that handhelds are almost impossible to read while running, especially in any chop or at night. I have the Lowrance LCX 15 MT GPS/Sonar. It has a 7" screen and I can see it good at night, like when I am running in from the Jetties at Port O'Connor and the bay is rough or running the channel at night. It gets pretty dark once I get away from the artifical lights.

As an added bonus, I have a mount in my truck that holds the same unit, so I can move it around as I need to. I just lay the antenna on my dash on a piece of rubber draw liner material (like for tool boxes).

I also carry a handheld Garmin GPS Plus V in case my other one fails.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Kraymond...any tips I'm using my 250 for the first time tomarrow. Mostly for Marking Major fishing spots and stuff. Only problem I had is when I hooked it up and tested it on the trailer....it read 7' when the trailer only is maybe 1-2" off the ground. Do you know how to adjust that?
Bug Power the transducer will only read depth while it is the water. Read the manual and play with it when you are on the water. Get use to pushing page then use the arrow keys to go back and forth from sonar to map and split screen. Take the manual with you. If you get it messed up just turn it off and back on again and it will go to default settings. When you get to the boat ramp turn it on. After you launch push exit then pages and arrow to map then exit. Go to menu for split screen if you want that. Zoom in and out and look at a hotspot map if you are not familiar with the area.

Good Luck, Ken

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Worked great today...fished Mud Island and had a good time. Marked some fuel spots and some nice holes that should hold fish. Now if my j16 just had a jackplate I could run through Estes flats rather then having to pole most of the way.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you go the handheld route and plan to do any night fishing, spend the sixty bucks and get the mount and hard wire the unit to a 12v battery. The lights in them suckers will flat go through some AA's!

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
I have a basic color model from Lowrance that I bought last year when my B&W model got some water in it and shorted out. I was going to get another B&W model, but the color was on sale for only $50 more so I thought what the heck.

I have to admit the the color is a lot easier to read than shades of gray. Especially when underway.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I think the one that I'm getting with the boat is decent after all. It is a B&W Lowrance LMS-160 MAP GPS Fishfinder. Does anyone have one or had one or know anything about it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts