2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I picked up on a lease in Boerne Tx. It's kind of a small place but we decided to gamble on the fact that this area is known for it's abundance of axis. So far on several occasions we've seen turkey, whitetail and axis either on the property or in close proximity. Unfortunately it feels like we are getting a late start on preparing for bow season. We just acquired the lease last week and spend this past weekend setting up our feeders and tri-pods.

After getting all that done my buddy made an observation that gave us both high hopes. While leaving the property on Saturday he honked at me, stopped, and got out of his truck. With a grin from ear to ear he said "That's a very good sign that this could be a great season." I looked over into the brush and there it was. A really nice rub on a 4-6" oak tree. We then looked around and found another one on a smaller tree. What a RUSH!

Attachments

·
Certified Bile Spewer
1,398 Posts
Look out for the quills...

James,

Looks like good porcupine sign to me. Deer rubs aren't as precise as the de-barking that's occured on that tree. Nor are they so close to ground level.

Here's what to look for:

Attachments

·
Equine connoisseur
2,264 Posts
That, or it's those pesky beavers again. LOL

Congratulations on the lease.

Pablo

·
Registered
105 Posts
In my experience I tend to focus on evergreen trees. Deer love to rub on evergreen trees because of the scent the evergreen tree gives off. Kind of like cologne for bucks. Just my .02 Cents

Craig

·
Registered
857 Posts
may be a little early for a rub

I think their racks haven't hardened enough to start rubbing. I'm with HHH, I don't think what you saw was a deer rub but congrats on the lease.

·
Certified Bile Spewer
1,398 Posts
Antlers

Whitetail antlers are shed in Feb/March. They begin regrowing them shortly thereafter and are in velvet up until Sept. or so. That's why timely rains in March, April, and May are so beneficial to antler growth.

Axis are on a completely different cycle.

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Some deer are already hard horned right now and have been for a couple of weeks. Some are still in velvet. These pics were take last week.

Pic 1 Velvet
Pic 2 Hard Horn

Attachments

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Sight Cast said:
They are in velvet now, will be losing it in September, October, generally depending on area of the U.S. you are in. I saw 3 bucks on the side of the road between Tivoli and Goliad that were HUGE and still full velvet.
The bucks in the above pics are from the Tivoli area. As you can see, there are some in hard horn already. In fact, 99% of our deer are hard horned by Sept. 1.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Rub

That looks like the kind of rubs I have seen before made by the landowner right before he shows the lease! LOL!!!

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've already read some of the horror stories posted here...

I can't imagine the lengths some landowners go to just to push a lease. Would that be considered the hunter becoming the hunted?:biggrin:

·
Registered
298 Posts
We had bucks with antlers on them still this Turkey season. It all depends on what part of the world you are in. Talked with the owner of Sampson's Ridge and Sampson his main breeder buck drops his sheds every year on his birthday within a few hours of the same time each year.
Sean Hoffmann said:
Whitetail antlers are shed in Feb/March. They begin regrowing them shortly thereafter and are in velvet up until Sept. or so. That's why timely rains in March, April, and May are so beneficial to antler growth.

Axis are on a completely different cycle.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
had some buds get a place in Boerne last season,,,and the place was shot up. had a really nice house on it though. they got off it of course.....but I'm sure that aint the place you got. Fresh2Salt if you post me a private with the landowners name I can find out for you....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts