2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Deadeye McGee
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thousands of illegal immigrants are being held at the US border. I assume that eventually most or all will be released into the USA. Many Texans live or own/lease recreational property near the border between Texas and Mexico. As many 2Coolers know, I own a small ranch in Rocksprings, about 80 miles from the border cities of Del Rio/Villa Acuna. I haven't had any problems with "break-ins" in over 5 years. Prior to that about every second or third trip to the ranch someone had entered the hunting cabin looking for food and water and leaving some of their personal items behind. Is anyone else besides me concerned that these "break-ins" will soon be regular occurrences again? I'm not concerned about the food and water taken but I am concerned about property damage including broken windows and doors, personal property like shoes and clothing taken and the mess made while looking through everything. Am I alone in these fears/concerns and what can we reasonably do to prevent or minimize it? TIA.

·
El jefe
2,605 Posts
Thousands of illegal immigrants are being held at the US border. I assume that eventually most or all will be released into the USA. Many Texans live or own/lease recreational property near the border between Texas and Mexico. As many 2Coolers know, I own a small ranch in Rocksprings, about 80 miles from the border cities of Del Rio/Villa Acuna. I haven't had any problems with "break-ins" in over 5 years. Prior to that about every second or third trip to the ranch someone had entered the hunting cabin looking for food and water and leaving some of their personal items behind. Is anyone else besides me concerned that these "break-ins" will soon be regular occurrences again? I'm not concerned about the food and water taken but I am concerned about property damage including broken windows and doors, personal property like shoes and clothing taken and the mess made while looking through everything. Am I alone in these fears/concerns and what can we reasonably do to prevent or minimize it? TIA.
You should have voted for trump
Nothing can be done Biden open the floodgates
Long time ago I put the lock down on camps unless they have a cutting torch or grinder ranch houses are locked up with bars

·
Deadeye McGee
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK!

You should have voted for trump
Nothing can be done Biden open the floodgates
Long time ago I put the lock down on camps unless they have a cutting torch or grinder ranch houses are locked up with bars
I did vote for Trump!
I have a new single wide trailer there now. The previous owner put bars on the doors and windows of the old small cabin there. The twisted bars on the door and a window with broken glass panes were removed and placed under the cabin. If they can't get in or easily get in they'll find something (2X4, T-post, shovel, etc.) to use to break in or do spiteful damage. When I only had a small cabin there I would leave the door unlocked (door also had a spring attached to close it) and then just tied it closed with a rope. Then if they wanted in they wouldn't have to break the door or a window to enter and then leave the cabin open to let critters in when they leave. At that time I left no shoes and clothes there and the hunting items left there such as binoculars, bullets, etc. were kept in a locked steel box. The new trailer is full of furniture, clothes, shoes, canned food, drinks, bullets, binoculars, stand heaters, etc. They can also have A/C, water and lights by snapping the small clasps off of the breaker boxes. Thanks Biden!

·
Native Texan
10,967 Posts
We have had a camp house South of Sanderson in Brewster Co. since 1983. It is out in the middle of nowhere. Over the years only once did we find evidence of an illegal being on the property, two fresh dead Javelinas that had been carried/drug.

About 7-8 years ago they got into our cabin and used every dish/pot/pan to cook on outside on a wood fire. Basically ruined everything. There is really nothing in there to steal but we also leave our door closed tightly but unlocked so they don't have to break in as they will get in if they want and broken windows aren't wanted or easy to fix out there.

·
archTech
8,554 Posts
We hunt a ranch that's been in the family since the 1860's which is south of Freer and north of Hebbronville, about 30 miles from Laredo as the crow flies. The cmu cabin was originally built in 1962 and added onto in the 90's. It had steel rebar burglar bars on the windows but never failed they would find something to pry them off on the kitchen window...I guess it's lower. What sucked is once breached, the owls would get in and chat on everything...nice thing to show up to! Always had a Jeep and several expensive ATV's down there but it's in the middle of several ranches so they were never touched. It was getting ridiculous about 10-12 years ago so we installed aluminum roll down and lock up storm shutters. Haven't had any issues since, though there was a place on the kitchen window where they tried unsuccessfully to get under it and pry it off. I think we were taken off "The Map" after the storm shutters went up, but a little concerned about the masses now as we roll up on them from time to time down the scenderos...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Long time ago we started leaving the campers unlocked and taking the important stuff. In 5 years hunting out of Laredo I never had ammo, heaters, blankets, etc. stolen but had plenty of can goods disappear. We'd just plan on taking what food we needed each trip and not counting on anything we had left at camp.

Not the best solution but for us it was the path we could somewhat control.

·
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
3,483 Posts
I think all the illegals are going to be given paid for holidays with all expenses covered in Hotels.......lol

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had a little piece of hunting land off RR 334 between Uvalde & Brackettville just off the west prong of the Nueces River. We had 2 travel trailers there and I worried about someone breaking in. I put a truck tool box out with canned food and bottled water along with a sign telling them it was there. I never had a problem with break-ins.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Anyone happen to catch the video of keith warren that shows hundreds flooding out of an 18wheeler broad daylight in pearsall? This is the new norm, no backbone to do anything about it so just hand every one you see a hundred dollar bill and tell them thank you for not paying taxes

·
Play Deep
3,591 Posts
Anyone happen to catch the video of keith warren that shows hundreds flooding out of an 18wheeler broad daylight in pearsall? This is the new norm, no backbone to do anything about it so just hand every one you see a hundred dollar bill and tell them thank you for not paying taxes
70 of them. That’s just 1 truck being noticed. It’s a plague worse than cv19

·
El jefe
2,605 Posts
70 of them. That’s just 1 truck being noticed. It’s a plague worse than cv19
Yep just one truck , the other day the police were on 35 north trying to find multiple trucks with illegals dialing 911 begging for help because they were locked in trailers with no water or places to use bath , the different local LEO departments have multiple other types of issues to deal with, border patrol is busy babysitting instead of preventing, our executive in Cheif has failed us completely :headknock

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,892 Posts
I had a little piece of hunting land off RR 334 between Uvalde & Brackettville just off the west prong of the Nueces River. We had 2 travel trailers there and I worried about someone breaking in. I put a truck tool box out with canned food and bottled water along with a sign telling them it was there. I never had a problem with break-ins.
^^^ Makes good sense.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I just got on a lease that is north of Bracketteville and SW of Rocksprings. It’s about 30-35 miles as the crow flies from Del Rio. The house on the lease has steel cages around the doors and windows so they don’t sit right up against them like regular burglar bars. It’s seems to be effective. One of the guys that has been on the lease for the past 10 years said they haven’t had any problems. But if you give them some “warning signals” that seems to deter them from your place. It worked for us when we were hunting down outside Encinal all through the 90’s.

·
Typical Texan
8,413 Posts
When I hunted just north of the lake near Del Rio, if I locked my camp trailer, then they would tear up something breaking in, but if I just left the door unlocked they would still go in, but they wouldn't make a mess and wouldn't tear **** up. Nature of the beast.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Some people in Utopia used to put out food, water and some clothing to cut down the break-ins. Don't have any idea how it worked out.
My place is fairly close to their "highway". They follow the high line to Bandera and beyond. They used to break into my BIL's place pretty regular, but it slowed down a few years ago.
A few years ago I had 2 ICE agents in tach gear at my gate. They were tracking 2 guys, but lost the trail about 1/4 mile down the road. They wouldn't tell me what was going on, but from the way they were decked out it was't your usual illegal they were tracking.
I let them in a neighbors place, they told me to stay back. With weapons drawn, they checked the tractor barn and two small out buildings.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I think all the illegals are going to be given paid for holidays with all expenses covered in Hotels.......lol
Every time I go past a highway overpass with homeless Americans underneath, I think about all of the money we pour into the care of illegal aliens. It's a @#$% crime.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
We finally tore down our two story ranch house in Brooks County. We couldn’t keep them out of it and they finally made it unusable for us.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,543 Posts
When I hunted in South Texas we'd leave bottled water and canned food for them so they wouldn't break into our trailers.

It worked and they started leaving things for us like arrow heads, rattle snake rattlers, etc.

They even built a shrine next to our trailer lol.

TH

·
El jefe
2,605 Posts
We finally tore down our two story ranch house in Brooks County. We couldn’t keep them out of it and they finally made it unusable for us.
Our friends in Houston own a large ranch in Starr and Jim Hogg
Counties and they to have abandoned and bulldozed the main house, because people kept breaking in and trashing the house
They quit running cattle and now lease it out to a family that has some major pull and fire power to keep a handle on things
Sad deal because it’s been a family home and working ranch since the 1700’s
And a major battle between the Mexican marines and the cartel army has been raging for weeks around Roma Texas, major as in heavy machine guns and rpg , 40mm cannon fire google search Roma Texas gun battle

1 - 20 of 76 Posts