1. Brett Phillips / Mike ???

2. Chris Kohnert / ??

3. Kevin Shaw / ??

4. ??

5. ??

6. ??

7. Kurt Koliba / Mike Shimek

8. Jimmie Dooms / Jason Rieger

This was as far down the list as I went. Fishing was off compared to Thursday and Friday. Everyone was on good fish (according to all the lies Friday night at the Captain's Meeting anyhow!), but the moon and lack of tide movement on Saturday really slacked the fishing. There were 10 boats that did not catch a fish.

We were lucky enough to find a ton of schooling fish, but had no size to them. Kurt and Mike were on the same fish, all the fish were 20 - 23" long. All in all the tournament was very small, only 30 boats. IFA is indeed hurting and hurting bad. With the Redfish Cup in Kema, TX, we didn't stand a chance. I sure hope they do something to turn that event around or it will not be around in a few years.

It was good seeing some of the guys again, it had been a bit of a break in the tournament scene.

Regards,
Jimmie Dooms

· Registered
941 Posts
deke said:
Hey Jimmie was your boat parked in a boat sales place this weekend in POC? I saw one with the same graphics as yours in POC in one of those boat sales places.
Wasn't mine. I think that boat belongs to Joe Brahman??? Mine was just down the street right in front of Froggy's boat ramp. I was staying at the corner condo on the main street. We spent a lot of time on the water up there and had an absolute blast Thursday afternoon catching Bonita at the Jetties. We caught quite a few of them and tried to catch some Tarpon that were rolling right next to the boat, but we didn't have anything that they would eat or at least we didn't throw it anyhow. The Gulf was as calm as I've ever seen in it before and the water was beautiful. We saw some sharkes and a Manta Ray that was probably 10' - 12' from tip to tip right on the edge of the north jetty wall. It was awesome. We also saw some Black Tip sharks off of Grass or Green Island in 2' - 3' of water. We couldn't believe our eyes. You might want to be careful with a stringer of trout in that area.

Best Regards,
Jimmie Dooms

· Get Off My Bay!
6,524 Posts
We watched bait balls about 1-4-1/2 mile off the beachfront Sat get destroyed by fish. when I got up on them they would stop some, but they looked like big macks. Now that you mention bonita, they might have been bonita. They wouldn't eat a silver spoon or tout or plug, nothing. Last time I checked no self respecting spanish mack would turn down a silver spoon. The bait fish were about 1"-1 1/2" long and had a reddish-brown color in massive bait balls? They only seemed to want those little bait fish. what did you catch the bonita on?

Even out by ourselves in open water we still had an idiot run through out fish. Thanks to the 4 guys in a Gulf Coast with a white T-top, I guess the rest of the Gulf of Mexico was just to far.

· Registered
941 Posts
Deke,

We caught the Bonita on Mirr-O-Lure, Mirro-O-Minnow's. We reeled them in as fast as we could while jerking them as well. Once we figured this out, it was on every single time you got it in front of the group.

We did manage a limit of Sea Gulls as well. Yes, we thought it was Mack's too and were very excited to get a few of them to take over to Jose's for some cooking. Well, we never got a Mack, but we sure caught a lot of shark bait!

We had guys just drive right up to them or in amoungst them. Jason and I just couldn't believe it. If you would just get in the area and be a little patient, the wad would come right to you and you just casted and hooked up. I sware that some people were just put on this earth to see how much good fishing they can actually screw up.

By the way, the next time you see this, if you have something that will catch King's, throw it or troll it. There was one boat that kept following them around and they were trolling and catching King's, nice one's too! I guess they were following the schools or under them. The Tarpon were all inside the jetty as well.

Best Regards,
Jimmie Dooms

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.