2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I use the Microdrives and noticed the 6 Gigs are out. I have a 4 Gig but would like more storage if I start shooting RAW+JPEG.

The advances in memory are amazing -- I bought a 4 Gig jumpdrive for ~$100 the other day. I had less storage in most of the computers I used combined up until a few years ago!

Hopefully the 6 Gig will come down or they will even come up with an affordable 8 Gig or larger in the next year.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been busy today...

Saltwater Servitude said:
They have a website? Googled it and found squat....

I'm looking for a 4 GB CF II, B and H are out of stock of Sandisk. The Lexar's seem to have problems from the posts on dpreview.
These cards are by Transcend. Shot with them Sunday night and they seem fine. I'd just call one of the retail stores.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Cutter said:
whats the dirt on microdrives?? magnetic corruption?? or sumtin else?
I did some poking around DPreview and it seems that the concern is a higher failure rate due to more complex construction (not solid state) and higher fragility (don't drop them).

I am not sure how high the failure rate is in all. I think the lesson for us all is to download and back up your pictures frequently and carry extra memory on trips.

Fishphoto was the one making the satement so he probably has better information.

CF is still significantly more expensive than the microdrives in the 4 gig and up arena, but if that changes I would probably go with a quality CF.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Basically, the microdrives are like small hard drives. They contain a disc that spins at high rpms just like a normal computer hard drive. Basically more moving parts (or moving parts in general) = higher probability of something breaking. I'm not a hardware expert, but many of my hardware "expert" colleagues have recommended staying away from these for this reason. I've heard of these things crashing many times over. Again, I'm no expert - I just wanted to pass on some "expert" advice I was given.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts