2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If You Own A Boat You Should Read This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Boat ramp educate.

1 when you are fishing at a boat ramp please do no put your fishing lines in the path of the boat ramp. This is a place for boats to load and unload and fishing line in a prop can be a big expensive problem.

2when unloading, before you block up the ramp prep your boat. Get the plugs in and check to see all is ready to launch. Once in the water start your motor. If it doesn't start don't work on it in the ramp. Pull out and get out of the way. DO NOT TIE YOUR PONTOON BOAT UP IN THE SLIP AND WORK ON IT IN THE WATER YOU ARE IN THE WAY AND ARE TAKING UP THE SLIP.

3when docking at the boat ramp or waiting in line at a boat ramp do not crowd the ramp by trying to fit 2 boats in one slip and don't crowd the person in front of you. Give them space to move around and work the boat. Do not cut in line as this will only encourage crowding and create conflict.

4 when loading your boat, after you are loaded, lock your bow and pull clear of the ramp. Get out of the way completely do not stay in the ramp and tie your boat down or secure gear. Pulling forward 20 feet in front of the ramp is not acceptable. Do not block other trailers that may be wanting to pull out also. There are or soon will be people wanting to unload and they should not have to wait for you to move or finish telling a fish story to load their boat. The boat ramp is not a place for fish stories. Get out of the way!

5IF YOU OWN A JET SKI, PLEASE I KNOW YOU CAMP OUT AT A BOAT RAMP BUT BE COURTEOUS ABOUT WHERE YOU RIDE YOUR BIKE. DO NOT RUN BACK AND FORTH IN FRONT OF THE RAMP PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO LOAD AND UNLOAD BOATS. MOVE DOWN THE RIVER WHERE YOUR WAKE WILL NOT BOTHER PEOPLE. WHEN APPROACHING THE RAMP COME IN SLOW AND CONTROLLED.

·
Registered
723 Posts
This should be required reading for anyone who tries to register a boat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
man. im feel the pain..was on the dike alone,i pulled up the put in and two women pulled right behind me and when i go out of the truck to say that was (smiles) rude...they say "o im sorry i thought u were leaving...and this was after waiting 20mins...because the others pull up and unload/unplug/count fish/clean boat right in the lane instead of pulling out to the side ....im usually talk talkin to my imaginary fishing buddy...cusing and sayin "look how rude these people are...and why would these ===holes block the lane..." ok i may need counseling..but....i got an old ugly boat that does the job, im in and out ,if i cant start i pull to the outside to open the lanes....im on a rant and feel my pressure going up...gotta go....cya goodluck.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
It's almost like there should be 2 slots for people that know what they are doing at each ramp, and one slot for noobs. That way those of us that know what to do when could just stay out of each others way. It's not rocket science, but the main problem I see is that people just don't have any common courtesy or common sense any more.

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
That should be Man Law!!! lol

Even in the thunderstorm Saturday there were still people blocking the ramp in Port A blocking other poeple from trying to get there boats out.....course the idiot with the city didn't really help matters by not letting people use the transient docks to get out of the storm for a bit.

·
What About My Member?
498 Posts
My Dad and I used to fish Bass tourneys all the time. Tournament fisherman almost always had their act together at the ramp. It was always the pleasure boaters that blocked the ramp. Never understood why someone would wait in line then prep their boat only after backing it down the ramp.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It happens all the time.Saturday 5:00 in the morning,holiday weekend,Eaglepoint marina,8-10 boats waiting to launch, I finally get up there and there is a boat and truck on the ramp but no one is around.Everybody is having to go one at a time.Then I see them coming back with their bait bucket.They park in the middle of the ramp so no one else can launch then go get their bait.Give me a break.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
give me a tow strap is more like it! lol!
texasrhino said:
It happens all the time.Saturday 5:00 in the morning,holiday weekend,Eaglepoint marina,8-10 boats waiting to launch, I finally get up there and there is a boat and truck on the ramp but no one is around.Everybody is having to go one at a time.Then I see them coming back with their bait bucket.They park in the middle of the ramp so no one else can launch then go get their bait.Give me a break.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yha I think I forgot to put turn off your head lights when you are backing up. that is a big no no. you will blind anyone else trying to move a trailer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great post! When I first learned how to launch a boat, my Dad would take me to an empty parking lot so I could practice backing up and turning. Once I could back the boat between two cones he would took me to the launch during the day when most people had all ready launched for the morning. I would practice backing in and launching the boat.

This seemed to work good without disrupting too many people.

Does anyone else have advice for newbies?

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
Fortunately I do most of my fishing at night, so I don't have to deal with crowds, but I have dealt with crowds plenty. During the tournaments, there are bass boats dropped off every few seconds, and they are floating around out in the cove. One person in the boat, one person in the truck, drop it off, pay attention to the boat guy (2 way radio is helpful) and once you get the signal, proceed fowards slowly and park the truck. When loading, it's nice if both people are capable of backing the trailer in, but that's not always the case. If you are going to be fishing with the same person often, teach them to do one or the other. It helps you, it keeps them from feeling like a bump on a log and makes everyone else at the ramp happy. When teaching them either the truck or the boat, be patient. It's not their truck or their boat, so they are nervous. Just take it slow and next thing you know they will be showing up at your house with a new boat and a truck because they get addicted to it once they get to actually participate and no longer feel it's something best left to other people.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
good post charlie, the only thing i'll add is ....................................if you choose to fish at a boat ramp don't get all bent out of shape because the boats are ruining your fishing..............it is a boat ramp!! second if you are fishing with lights and a generator at a boat ramp face your lights away from the ramp so that we can see when we are coming in .

·
Registered
497 Posts
now that is bad

texasrhino said:

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
But what i dont get is when i am fishing on a peir or when i fishing out of a yak boaters come full throttle right in front of where I am fishing get there readings on the fish finder and go full throttle off again. Just saying boaters dont always have the best manors either its just not us from the shore.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.