2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Angler Emeritus
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a tree falls in the forest, does anyone hear it crash to the ground?

By analogy, if one posts, but it gets erased or expunged, does anyone ever get to read it?

Or is that censorship by any other name?? Without explanation.

Does erasure fall under the category of political correctness, a milque toast society, Orwellian Big Brotherhood, or preferring one poster over another?

Should we worry that, as posters, we really do not have control over our own words we write in cyberspace??

Does someone control, in an open forum, what we really want to say about a subject??

Troubling questions, indeed. And surprising ones. Be careful, it can happen to you.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Capt Ahab said:
If a tree falls in the forest, does anyone hear it crash to the ground?

By analogy, if one posts, but it gets erased or expunged, does anyone ever get to read it?

Or is that censorship by any other name?? Without explanation.

Does erasure fall under the category of political correctness, a milque toast society, Orwellian Big Brotherhood, or preferring one poster over another?

Should we worry that, as posters, we really do not have control over our own words we write in cyberspace??

Does someone control, in an open forum, what we really want to say about a subject??

Troubling questions, indeed. And surprising ones. Be careful, it can happen to you.
Have you experienced this phenomenon first hand ???? Or, are you just wanting to ???? I just happen to know someone who can make it happen.. :p

·
Angler Emeritus
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Tree Is Still Falling . . .

Badhabit said:
Have you experienced this phenomenon first hand ???? Or, are you just wanting to ???? I just happen to know someone who can make it happen.. :p
While I did not call it a "phenomenon," or any other explosive word, I did leave you a pm, to which you did not respond.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
That's what blogs are for, although I don't think I've ever read one, but there you can spew whatever your heart desires and not worry about it getting erased. Here in a forum that's hosted by an single person, and maintained by moderators, he has the power to do whatever he (or the moderators) see fit. Nobody's crushing your constitutional rights, you don't have freedom of speech when someone else is paying for the bandwidth. So yeah, it probably is censorship.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Accepted Responsibility, Accountablilty, Respect towards others ect ect ect

But yeah, bottom line "Terms Of Service".

As far as the whole tree thing.....here is the answer.
An unobserved tree-fall clearly does not make a mental sound. The story that we tell about how mental sounds come into being—vibrating air acts on the ear-drum which produces electrical stimuli which are presented to the mind as sounds—does involve the presence of an observer. If no observer is present at an event, then there will be no ear-drums or electrical signals and none of this will happen. No sound will come into being. In this sense of "sound", then, an event must be observed if it is to make a sound, and an unobserved tree-fall will be silent.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Stumpgrinder said:
If a tree falls in the woods and a married man sees it but his wife does not, is the married man still wrong ?
LOL, Of Course!!!!

·
Banned
756 Posts
Yeah it makes a sound......

But not forever eh? If you were there when it made the sound ... it made a sound.

if you miss a thread because you got to make a point ..You made your point.
If you feel you were valid then ..you made your point.
If you need to stir up some shat then you will still be unhappy.
So what's your point?

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
First of all, this is not an "open forum". It is a private forum, and the owner has 100% say in what you post on his site. If you don't like it, you are always free to start your own private forum, where you will do the same. When you start paying $600/month to keep your site running, then you can talk. ;)

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
I will give another analogy. Your buddy owns a nice boat, one he built himself, at great expense of both time and money. In today's market, it's worth something on the order of $200K. Your buddy lets just about anyone on board, but there's certain rules of conduct while you are on the boat. 99.9% of the folks on board follow the rules, do the right thing, and play fair. But, there's a small handfull of people on board that don't care to follow the rules, don't care how they act, and they make the boat miserable for everyone else on board. Your buddy has a limited set of options. He can throw the trouble makers overboard. He can put them in the brig (this is a big boat). Or he can put up with it, and watch what he has so carefully designed and built be destroyed. Substitute the word website for boat, and that's what 2cool is. A ship with no captain will eventually sink. Same goes for a website with no leaders, where no one is in control. I no control freak, but I do run a tight ship around here, and have developed and tested very creative ways of making sure that things stay under control, and we remain family oriented. If the way the site is run doesn't suit anyone, please close the door when you leave and move on.

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
good analogy, chief.

personally, i have found that 2coolfishing does provide an open forum for us to discuss just about anything that's on our minds -- within reason. heck, there's even a "basement" for those wishing to discuss the more controversial and political topics. i choose to just be myself in here and say whatever is on my mind, while still trying to respect the feelings and beliefs of other members, and the ownership of the site. as in almost all aspects of life, it's all about balance.

·
Banned
756 Posts
I'm getting to where I get all nervous when I see that red truck show up.
haha
It's like when I get a pm from Baygal. I know it aint gonna be "How y'all?'

The Mont has spoken.
i saw him speak once this week already.
And it was quiet and courteous in the school room after...

Ya those people are sad, angry and confused. Should go to the New Orleans site and read what they think of Mr.Nagin Angry people angry with each other.
Not constructive at all

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Capt Ahab said:
While I did not call it a "phenomenon," or any other explosive word, I did leave you a pm, to which you did not respond.
Ahh, I didn't reply because I went to bed. Perhaps when you regestered, you omitted reading the agreement terms.

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of 2CoolFishing will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of 2CoolFishing, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of 2CoolFishing reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
So the answer is no, it's not totally free speech. But it is a great website, ask a question about most anything and it will be answered, need some help, you WILL get it here, feeling down, we will try to cheer you up, wanna fish, someone will offer to take you... Nuff said

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Arrrrrrg, make Ahab walk the plank Capt Mont!

Sorry, got caught up in the whole Capt Mont, boat builder, ahab thing. :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts