2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new SUV and it is higher in the back than my old one. boat is in Port M and I am in Dallas so can't measure but can get close, I think. I read or heard somewhere that most tandem trailers for boats operate best with about 18" ground to coupler inside ball measured clearance. Can anyone confirm or correct me? I know I could buy one of those adjustable, variable height hitches but they are pretty industrial for my taste. Current receiver is 2" drop and a quick measurement to 18 indicates a5-6". I know this not a big deal but value other opinions

·
Banned
2,028 Posts
There is no standard trailer tongue height.
There may be standards among brands though.
I've had three trailers in two years, and they are all 3" different height.
It seems to me that the heavier the trailer, the heavier the frame and the lower the ball height.
Buy an adjustable at Harbor Freight, then take the measurements, then return the adjustable and tell them it rattles to much.
You could then but the right height straight or drop hitch at HB.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,249 Posts
Hook it up to tow vehicle. Measure a like spot on trailer frame front anc back. Want it exactly level or slightly angled down to the front. For example an inch or two lower in the front is good. Never an inch or two higher.

Again measure when it is hooked up on level ground loaded as you would normally be for trailer and tow vehicle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the tips, will go the measurement route. I understand the concept of not having it tilt up at the front, assume it puts extra pressure on the set when stopping. However, the slight downward tilt may keep the boat from draining while washing etc. What is the rationale behind the positive tilt downward in the front?

·
John 3:16
1,315 Posts
thanks for the tips, will go the measurement route. I understand the concept of not having it tilt up at the front, assume it puts extra pressure on the set when stopping. However, the slight downward tilt may keep the boat from draining while washing etc. What is the rationale behind the positive tilt downward in the front?
downward weight shift to the tow vehicle during breaking is the reason for the slight downward tongue position.
if pointed up the trailer can actually remove weight from the rear axle during hard breaking. this can cause a loss of traction on the rear axle of the tow vehicle. loss of traction can cause loss of control etc

·
Registered
104 Posts
Friend towed a tandem axle boat trailer bow down, took the weight off the rear axle and destroyed the front axle tires in 1000 miles. Put a level on the trailer frame to determine hitch height,once his trailer was level towed fine and tire wear was gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts