2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks... I'm stumped. We caught one today about 35-40lbs here at Cape Point, NC. It was pure khaki/tan- no markings of any kind on the fins or sides. No ridge. Anal fin was directly under the 2nd dorsal, and they were the same size. 1st dorsal was smallish (compared to the sandbars we usually see) and started around the trailing edge of the pecs. I don't have a decent picture right now- the owner of the digital cam doesn't have the cable with her. Whatcha think?

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
kinda sound like a nurse shark, but they're fairly easy to id.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No... not a slug.

The shark was really stocky, and it seemed to have small lateral keels on the caudal peduncle. I checked 4 books and the Florida marine bio website, but I got nothing.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's go to the tape...

One shot seems to show a darker 2nd dorsal, but I think it's just a shadow. The 3rd pic is off-kilter and grainy, but it shows the positioning af the fins very well.

This is probably going to end up being a different color phase of a really simple ID and I'm going to feel very unintelligent.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nope

Not a Sharpnose.. the anal/2nd dorsal match up to closely. Let me think about this one.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been through every guide I can find. The closest things I've found were a reef shark and a bignose, but the ridge throws them off.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not quite

not quite the right color for a blacknose. Hard to tell with these pics.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, sorry bout the photo quality. These came straight off of a "GirlfriendCam", and a rookie one at that (first surf trip for her). Maybe we'll get her shooting better pics in the future...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts