2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Appears to go hand in glove with the current moritorium on reef and migratory fish permits for Federal Waters. Should have little or no impact on the headboat business as used by the bulk of Texas fishermen.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know the Devil is ALWAYS in the details.

I'm not so much worried about headboats, I'm more concerned how it will impact "6pac" boats. I think they have to have the same permits that a head boat does. If I'm right, then new "6pac" boats will have to buy a existing permit and that is not going to be cheap.
In time, it could get to the point where some commercial permits in Alaska are now. In Alaska, to get a existing commercial permit to fish for some types of fish will cost you over $1,000,000. And that doesn't include the yearly renewal.
If you take that to its logical conclusion, in a years to come, the cost of a existing GOM permit will be so hight that no one will be putting new 30 ft boats in the charter business. They will all be big boats so they can charge big bucks.
Look at the price a bay shrimping license is going for, now that there is no new ones to be had and the state will buy back the existing ones.
If they do it to the commercial boats, are the rec boats far behind?
Any time the government does something, you better take a close look and ask your self, "Where am I getting screwed in this" because most of the time you are.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
6 pack boats wanting to fish snapper or kings/ling/and the like are already subject to the permit moritorium. Its been in effect for a couple years now. I want to say it began July 2001, but I may be off a year or so.

All the new 6 pack boats wanting to work Fed. waters are already having to buy existing permits. The reef and migratory set is something in the neighborhood of $10,000.00 give or take, although they can sell for significantly more or less depending on the buyer and seller.

The other side of this coin is to protect the fisheries. Now, I don't want to get into that whole issue, but there are conceivably some potential benefits to the rec's purportedly flowing from limiting the permits available to guides. The moritorium also potentially protects the existing full time guides from having to deal with the economic impact of all the "part time" guides that might otherwise flood the market like we see in the inshore fisheries. I am necessarily not taking sides on these issues, just pointing them out.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
The folks who have the licenses can sell them before they retire/die, so your sons dream is not shot, but it will be after he tries to make it as on offshore guide out of Texas for a couple of years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts