2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and lost!

Ebay contacted me to tell me my account had been hijacked and used for Spam. I went to the website the spam linked to and in a moment of pure stupidity, I sent them an email telling them what low-lifes they were. I know, bad move, but I was angry. The next thing I know, I have a charge on my credit card that I didn't make. When I wrote to the online company to find out what was purchased, it was an ebook called "How to Stop Spam". Coincidence? I think not. So they obviously have my credit card info. I'm closing the account now, but am wondering:

how do they get my personal info?

how much can they know?

if I changed all of my passwords, but they're still "in my computer", do they now have the new ones?

are they reading this post too?

Yep, I'm a bit paranoid now. 95% of my shopping is done online, but through so-called "secure" websites. I'd like to report them (to whom?) and get them shut down, but since they only charged $5 on my cc, I doubt anyone will pay much attention to them. Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. Spammers are crooks/cheats and many need to be in jail. There I feel better.

Contact ebay. Let them know of the problem. Ebay is connected to paypale so your credit cards might be linked. If you have a bank direct linked you need to contact them.

Contact your CC, have them be aware of the problem. To tell the truth, I'm more worried about you having your identy stolen than some $5 charge. Contact Equifax TransUnion and Experian—and put a fraud alert on your credit report. You are going to need to check them every few months...and it will cost you $ to do this...I think it was like $10 for each report on you. If the person has your account #...depending on what is on your computer, they might be able to do a lot..and very quick. If they get your Social Security #, then just be ready for the fight. Sadly, today you can sign up for credit cards everywhere and they know it. I think you can put a freeze on your credit report here in Texas, I have not done it, so it might be worth looking into.
Change all passwords on all accounts....ebay, amazon.com, email, 2cool...any and everywhere. Do it over the phone if all possible (in the event a key logger is on your computer)

Once you get that done, run a anti-virus scan.

Don't delete that email that started this problem. You might need it later to give to the police or investigators.

Things to look for:
Charges on Credit Cards
New Credit Cards
Checks paying on new Credit cards (in a day or two the money will be withdrawn...checks were printed at home, so they are no good, cash is gone and your stuck with more fees)
New email accounts
More emails back to your address that got you here in the first place...more phishing for info...don't click links

We all make mistakes, I hope it was just a company scamming $5 but be ready to fight.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for all the great advice, Bill. I'll start following it immediatley. I've been watching my PayPal and both credit card accounts daily, so I'll immediately know if anything else fishy happens.

Just out of curiosity, how could they have gotten my info? I'm sure they're multiple ways, but I've never responded to a request for my personal information. In fact, I'm so leary of most emails, I didn't even follow up with Ebay immediately for fear that their email was a scam. In addition, I use McAfee Firewall and virus protection, and some sort of spyware blocker (not that it would help, but I just thought I was pretty well protected all the way around). I do use an aircard. Could that be a weak leak? What other safeguards can I put on my computer to prevent this from happening again?

I admit, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to this stuff, but I thought I knew enough to protect myself. I was wrong. And just a word of warning to others: no matter how mad you get, don't ever, ever, ever try to get the last word with a spammer!!! :( My one minute lapse in judgement may have just cost me a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
410 Posts
AirCard

Your AirCard wont be an issue as long as you are using the cell company's network (i.e. 1xRTT, EVDO, GPRS, etc) because the airlink is encrypted. If, however, you are using it to access a public WiFi hotspot then it very well could be an issue.

SDS

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
dont worry but act quickley to prevent future head acha

A cheaper way of blocking people to get credit card on your account is to add text to your 3 credit bureau by saying "ask for current utility bill and photo id b4 issuing credit "
You have the right to add text to your report without charge .

Also there are spy software who will copy every key stroke and web page and send it to remote orcurrent computer , it was designed to catch cheating spouse .by the way it is illegal to use that on your spouse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts