2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And PLEASE! Yall dealers in Arkansas, or Dallas, please dont hit me with Spam.

Staying local.

For the last few days I have been doing my research scoping out new trucks. I would love to get a new Tacoma, yes, I know they are great trucks, but they are too high up my budget ladder. I need to stay under the 20k rung.

I want a Ranger.

I dont want a Nissan/Datsun. I want a Ranger. Super cab.

At least the 3.0 liter w/ the auto trans. Its imperative that I have the Super Cab. I need the leg room and allmost every truck I have ever owned has had me cramped up unless its a long cab.

I asked a local dealer here on the west side for a quote and they called me today and I was given a quote over the phone. $16.5k. I could be wrong and missed something, but he said he E Mailed me a quote last night. I cant find that E Mail.

Anyhoo, heres the part where I need advice.

What do I do? I have never bought a new truck before, and I am clueless. I will be able to pay cash, should I tell them up front? (Up to a certain amount of course). Can I get a better deal if I finance? How much should I talk them down after they give me a quote?

Thanks!

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
FYI - You can get a full size extended cab V8 for $20k.

If you are paying cash, tell them that up front. Tell them to give you their best price and that you are going to shop it around with 3-4 dealers. There is a Ford dealer that is a sponsor on TTMB. Give them a call, and give several others a call in your area. I would recommend Tomball Ford as a straight-shooter. If you are paying cash, you can deal directly with the fleet department if you want.

BTW, get a newspaper and look at their ads so that you know all of the rebates and promotions that are going on right now so you can talk intelligently to the salesperson. If they are offering you $5k off sticker and there are $4k in rebates and promotions, you know you aren't getting a good deal. If you want me to look around for prices for you, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Gary, wait! I got some great info from Mrs.G a few weeks ago. I was in the same shoes you are in. Ill find it a PM it to ya.

·
Just call me Breeze
17,287 Posts
I would find the truck I want. Call your banker or credit union and ask them what they will loan on it. They know the bottom line. This will be the best deal, even if you pay cash. This will save you a lot of time.

·
Live to fish, work to live
2,330 Posts
Gary,

I always deal with the fleet dealers exclusively. Do your research on the web concerning costs and rebates/financing and determine exactly what you want on the car. Do not tell them you will pay cash. You might want find you can get a better price financing--then pay it off 1st month. Do not pay for any dealer added extras. Your timing is off--the deals will get better at end of this month. You should expect to pay right at dealer cost--within $200.
Sent you a PM with my cell if you have any questions call

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ford Ranger

Gary said:
And PLEASE! Yall dealers in Arkansas, or Dallas, please dont hit me with Spam.

Staying local.

For the last few days I have been doing my research scoping out new trucks. I would love to get a new Tacoma, yes, I know they are great trucks, but they are too high up my budget ladder. I need to stay under the 20k rung.

I want a Ranger.

I dont want a Nissan/Datsun. I want a Ranger. Super cab.

At least the 3.0 liter w/ the auto trans. Its imperative that I have the Super Cab. I need the leg room and allmost every truck I have ever owned has had me cramped up unless its a long cab.

I asked a local dealer here on the west side for a quote and they called me today and I was given a quote over the phone. $16.5k. I could be wrong and missed something, but he said he E Mailed me a quote last night. I cant find that E Mail.

Anyhoo, heres the part where I need advice.

What do I do? I have never bought a new truck before, and I am clueless. I will be able to pay cash, should I tell them up front? (Up to a certain amount of course). Can I get a better deal if I finance? How much should I talk them down after they give me a quote?

Thanks!
Sand Dollar Galveston has a sale on Rangers right now....See Capt. Lynn Waddell

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Gary, take your time and work the deals all thru email. You seem to know what you want so no need to go to the dealership. Typically when you email the emails end up in the internet/fleet dept. They have the power to deal with you and not "let me go ask my manager" When you get a low price send it to another dealer and ask if he is willing to beat it, if not then move on!

623 Posts
How about you give me a call and save all of this extra trouble. I own a Ford dealership and will be glad to take all of the mystery out of it. An owner might be a little better than a "Fleet Manager"...;-)

PM me and I will be glad to give you my phone number to discuss your purchase.

Rob Mersinger

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
******* Biologist said:
How about you give me a call and save all of this extra trouble. I own a Ford dealership and will be glad to take all of the mystery out of it. An owner might be a little better than a "Fleet Manager"...;-)

PM me and I will be glad to give you my phone number to discuss your purchase.

Rob Mersinger
Rob..where is your dealership?..

I am glad to know this now....just in time..

·
Limey
1,089 Posts
Dealerships make more money from customers if they can finance the vehicle. Shop around on your financing, & have it in place before you go to the dealers. If you consider dealership financing they usually have 2 or 3 % added to what they are actually paying & that is also negotiable.

"Mastercylinder" said buy American, how do u do that ? All vehicles (Ford, Toy, Nissan, Mercedes etc) these days are produced throughout the world then assembled in a central plant. No such thing as an American made vehicle anymore.

Best of luck in your purchase, I hate buying vehicles & I hate dealing w/car sales persons.

·
Capt. Sunbird
360 Posts
See Donny Shaddock at Gulf Coast Ford in Angleton 1-888-828-7200. He'll deal with you bottom line, no BS, everything on the table in the beginning. If you like his price, buy it, If you don't move on. The price won't change unless you change your selection of vehicles, options, finacing, etc.. I bought a Ford vehicle for my wife Thursday afternoon. That's the tenth new vehicle I've bought from him either for myself or family members over the last 20 years. Tell him I sent you.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You said that you'd like a Toyota Tacoma but that a new one is out of your budget, so why not buy a low mileage lightly used one that should be within your budget. I'm not disrespecting the Ranger but that Tacoma is one hell of a good truck.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate everyones help, and I think it has paid off. I have been swapping E Mails and playing phone tag all day with an internet sales manager located very close to me, and I am impressed so far. I wasnt all that impressed with another dealer on the Big highway! 10

Dude was straight up with me, and I was honest with him. Heres the deal. If I finance through Ford, I get a $3500 rebate on the Ranger. Heres the catch. My credit score is zero. Im not joking, its zero! lol

If I put down enough to only finance roughly $5500, Ford will finance me. I have been pre-approved but the interest rate will be high though. About 15%. Ouch!

Using my abacus, the high interest rate, the fact that Im building credit, offsets the idea of paying cash and leaves me a few bones left over for some sparkly wheels or something.

2006 Ford Ranger, XLT super cab?????

$16000 out the door??

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
You may want to check your own credit score. I don't know your age or past credit history - but a zero score is worth looking into. You've done a good deal of research up to this point. Don't throw the towel in for some 'sparkly wheels.' Keep researching. Price is one component. Dealerships work a grid - price, trade-in, financing. Research them all. Especially finance. Also, there are better ways to build credit than finance a truck at 15%. Look into this. Keep the two issues separate. Issue One - I have an immediate need for a truck, Issue Two - I need a better credit score. (The two issues are separate as you - unlike most plain folks - have dilegently saved your money and don't need credit.)

If you go the way of having Ford crediting you, remember the vast majority of folks can't build credit on regular monthly payment schedule - cause the end up missing a payment ot two. Be better than the rest, bank the money, earn moderate interest on it, and have Ford draw directly from the bank account. That way you don't miss any payments.

My humble opinion. Nothing more. It's hard to weigh reasonable financial advice against the new car smell. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Maybe 2cool needs our own finance dept.? LOL
Uh Mont, can we start a Credit Union?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts