2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
richg99
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys on the fishing internet site that I frequent suggested, given the expected plunging temperatures, ...that we shut off our lawn sprinkler systems at the buried valve. That valve is normally in the ground, near the street main shutoff.

Dutifully, I found and opened the hidden, grassed-over cover and saw the foot-deep orifice. Without thinking, I reach in..and found my hand wrapped around something alive. Something soft. Something warm. Needless to say, I instantly realized that valves didn't feel like that. I pulled my hand back quickly. I put my glasses on and peered into the black hole.

It was a toad, who probably lived down there much of the year. I whistled a sigh of relief that it wasn't a snake or other less humorous critter.

I removed and placed Mr. Toad next to the opening; quickly shut the valve off...and then put him back home. I hope he makes it through the next few nights of 20 degree weather that we expect.

regards, Rich

·
Registered
547 Posts
I can relate haha

LOL, I once went to turn off the facet and a little snake (a garden snake i think) was a foot away from my face sitting in between the crevice of the brick wall. I jumped back about 10 yds.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
LMAO !!! I did the same thing towards the end of the year. Scared the **** out of me. I was inspecting and doing a manual turn off because all heads were watering at the same time.

Anyway the toad in my valve box was oddly deformed and I expect he went in the small hole when it was young and remained in there once to big to come out of the small thumb hole. It reminded me of that thing "GOLEM" on lord of the rings.

I put him in a new place in the landscape and i think he is well on his way eating bugs for me. Im sure he named me "PRECIOUS"

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I guess you were Toad away. Geeze, even I don't think that is funny. Sorry guys, I'm feeling a little froggy today.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
The toad was "soft" and "warm" ?? That's toadally ridiculous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts