2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it again. Told myself I wasn't going to do it this year but I got excited and shot. Hunting has been slow at our lease. I seen movement in the woods and then he popped out. When I seen him I got that feeling (buck fever) . He looked at the feeder and kept on walking. I grunted at him to stop him but kept on going. He went down in by the creek and came back out the otherside. I grunted again at him as he disappeared into the thickets.

I repositioned my rifle out the side window and waited for him to come through the scrub brush and show into an opening. He never showed up where I thought he would come out. I looked back to my right and there he was in my feeder pen.

I had stopped looking at antlers and repositioned my rifle back out the front window. I got the rifle steady and put the crosshairs where they needed to be. I squeezed off the shot and it hit the mark. I could see the deer lunged forward and his rear legs kick out. I watched him in my scope as I jacked another shell into the chamber. I knew he was hit good because his tail was between his legs as he was running. I was able to keep him in my scope as he ran back down into the creek. He came back up the other side still running. He ran another 20 yards and fell over.

I sat there a few minutes and decided to go see what I had just killed. I walk in the general direction he went. Looking through my binoculars I could see a brown object behind a bush. I wasn't sure yet and kept walking towards the object and then I seen his white belly.

As I was walking up on him I got the ground shrinkage feeling. Thinking that maybe I should have kept my finger off the trigger. I should have looked at him a little bit more before I pulled the trigger. I wondered if this was the same buck that I had seen coming through the woods. I am still wondering if it is the same buck.

He is mine now and will be treated as a trophy because he is. He will be logged into my memory bank for ever now. He will make a nice euro mount and go somewhere in the house as a reminder to me of the hunt. His meat will be well taken care of.

Attachments

·
Headhunter...Fishhunter.. .Deerhunter...
1,586 Posts
I did it earlier this year too.. dont feel bad.. sometimes buck fever gets the best of us.. As long as you are eating, and preserving memory.. nothing is lost. I am just glad I still get excited to hunt, and every deer I kill is a trophy... whether it is a doe or buck.. ground shrinkage happen.. It is good as we grow older, not that I am that old but have been deer hunting 20 years, there are few things that truly excite us.. I still get thrilled to see a buck come out into the open, or creeping through a creek bed. Thank god for hunting. Congrats on the kill!

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
Nothin wrong with that buck Alex! I have found that it is a necessary to get out of the stand to see deer this year! I really think that the Rut in the Hill Country will kick back on again very strong with some good cold weather and with all of this Natural forage going away they will be back on the corn Big Time shortly! Bad news is-if you have any farm land near by they will get on the Tender oats quick-thank God this year i have NO farm land near me! Great deer Alex!

·
Raiser of BOB White Quail
19,039 Posts
Like my dad always says,You can boil the horns all day but you still can't eat them.I did the same thing the other day. Look at the brite side you now have venison. I can still hunt for a spike but I'm still gonna shoot another buck but it will be with my camera. Where I hunt you killed a nice buck. I hunt in Grimes County. Good Hunting to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's actually a pretty cool looking buck. Your story made it sound like it was going to be a small one, but that is a great buck where I hunt. Awesome!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Happens to all of us from time to time. I had a similiar experience several years back on a deer that was built a lot like that. I think those short, wrap around beams make them look big on the hoof. If it makes you feel any better, the deer I messed up on as a typical 11 with 2 kickers. We aged him at 2 1/2...ouch.

·
Is it really Monday again?
1,120 Posts
I would have ground checked em to. Nice deer don't beat yourself up over it.

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,636 Posts
Nothin wrong with that buck Alex! I have found that it is a necessary to get out of the stand to see deer this year! I really think that the Rut in the Hill Country will kick back on again very strong with some good cold weather and with all of this Natural forage going away they will be back on the corn Big Time shortly! Bad news is-if you have any farm land near by they will get on the Tender oats quick-thank God this year i have NO farm land near me! Great deer Alex!
X2

That is a keeper in anybodies book, Congrats!!!!!!!

·
AKA "STUMPY"
5,196 Posts
Great deer, I've sat in the stand 11days so far dont know how much longer I can wait

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
If you get too far into the mind games, you end up passing deer you should have shot. Don't ask me how I know...

Congrats on your buck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts