2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...........this morning early, wading the spoil banks here in West bay. I was wading close in about 75 yards from a cut between islands with a reef all the way across. I heard a horse snort and looked over into the ICW and saw a big Porpoise rolling. About a minute later I look toward the reef separating the ICW and bay and see a big wave peeling off like a ship wake and the porpoise comes up on and across the reef totally out of the water. I don't know if it was chasing bait or just decided it needed to be in the bay. Unfortunately the water on my side was 10"-12" and this porpoise hit the after burners swimming, shooting a six foot rooster tail across a 200 yard flat to deeper water.

It was really 2cool!!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Them puppies are amazing and funny. Have you ever seen one play with his food before he gulps it down? I saw one fling a flounder 9 or 10 feet in the air and then inhaled it as it fell into his mouth. THAT was a real cam corder moment! LOL! CF?

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
They actually in some places will chase food all the way up on to a beach. Then they just work theirselves back into the water. Seen it on Animal Planet before. It would definitely be neat to see in person. Lucky you!!
Steve

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Well, the porpoise was smart enough to know there aint no fish in 10-12" of water so he got out of it in a hurry.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Don't let Legate see the pic of the rays, he'll have a friggin heart attack....

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tony,
those Cownose rays are thick in the surf up here too.

J,
It was right about that too. I checked! LOL

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
ComeFrom? said:
Them puppies are amazing and funny. Have you ever seen one play with his food before he gulps it down? I saw one fling a flounder 9 or 10 feet in the air and then inhaled it as it fell into his mouth. THAT was a real cam corder moment! LOL! CF?
ive sat there and watched them fling those flounder up like that, while i cant even catch one. they can toss up some pretty good keepers too! ive also caught flounder that have scrapes (or teeth marks?) on them that look like they have excaped after being tossed. amazing to watch though.

·
It doesn't get much better!
1,414 Posts
Tony in Brownsville said:
Nothing that exciting down here today Kenny. I did take these photos on the skinny sand this morning though.
Wow! Tony that water is soooo clear, lucky you. But glad I wasn't wadin in it! LOL...Great pics btw!

Kenny that is so cool you got to see that...we haven't seen anything that cool but here's a pic of what we saw last time we went out....I love seeing em....although they are eating all the trout I'm trying to catch...bastagessss! J/K

Attachments

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Once in POC, I saw a shark about 10' long chase a school of mullet right out of the water and on to dry land. This was years ago when the "middle ground" was there--little sand high places out of the water. It was low tide and a lot of sand was showing. He seemed to know which way to go, and soon flipped and flopped back in the water. I have also seen porposes, play with cabbage heads, just like a ball, tossing them up in the air about 10' and catching them on their nose again!

Later
R3F

·
Registered
453 Posts
I didn't get pictures but.....

Saturday morning I entered the water on the west end of Galveston just as you could see the sun coming up. I had my youngest and two of his friends. I eased out to about waist deep, casting as I went hoping to snag a sow in the 1st gut. Nada. I looked down to check water clarity and to my horror, STINGRAYS! I'm talking hundreds, if not thousands. I'm in a freaking migration or something. They were swimming, not sitting on the bottom. I stood there for what seemed like forever, probably a minute, and they kept going. I don't like stingrays, I think I taught Legate how to hate them. What a rush! After they were gone, I thought it was pretty cool. I didn't say anything to the boys except, "Remember to shuffle, there may be stingrays out here.". Then Lee on his 1st casts catches a little 16" shark. LOL Caught a few sand trout and a couple of rat reds. Beautiful morning, wonderful day.
Peace

·
Saltmadness
13,573 Posts
Good pictures Darla and Tony!

We fished High Island beach front Saturday morning and we seen large schools of Cow-nose rays and lots of shrimp pods. Seemed like there were a ka-gillion shrimp in each pod. Pretty neat wading thru them shrimp. They would cause quite a ruckus. They reminded me of a huge school of mullet when a pelican would swoop over them. Pretty wild if you ask me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts