2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure was nice to find this support group after I joined 2coolfishing.com. And this is my first post i think. So I'm 35, have been dipping snuff for most of the last 20 years. Hard to beleive. I'm just writing this and posting it to help me gather up the courage to quit.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
ever time you want a dip think of this post and wait a while,,,, later tonight if you keep it up you'll be asleep. One day down!!!! It comes from within and do you realy want to. I can not smoke or just smoke one where I use to smoke quite a bit. I decided no more and thats what I do... some of the others will be here in a minute. to me, gum , candy, all the other BS, forget it, use want to and will power.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
ever time you want a dip think of this post and wait a while,,,, later tonight if you keep it up you'll be asleep. One day down!!!! It comes from within and do you realy want to. I can not smoke or just smoke one where I use to smoke quite a bit. I decided no more and thats what I do... some of the others will be here in a minute. to me, gum , candy, all the other BS, forget it, use want to and will power.
X2. I used the sunflower seeds the first couple of weeks but it didn't really help. The only way to make it stick is to just want to quit so bad that you force yourself to change your ways. It's not easy, but it can be done. It only works if you want it too.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I wish you the very best of luck. I am walking down the road you are entering as we speak. 15 days ago I laid down marlboro lights and copenhagen at the same time. I had a 1 pack a day and 5 can a week habit so I know a little about how you may feel right about now. I smoked for 30 years and dipped for 20 ( yes both at the same time and I am not proud of it . It is what it is)

You CAN do it. If I can ,anybody can, because I am weak when it comes to self denial.

I'm on Chanitx and it must be helping. I use every crutch I can find as long as there is no nicotine in it ( seeds, gum, hard candy ,straws) And I pray, I believe this is the biggest help.

I guess I'm not as strong as guys like Waterspout . So be it. It's not me against him. It's me against the drug (nicotine) I'm winning and I intend to keep winning.

Go for it man ! My only regret is that I didnt man up against this addiction 25 years ago.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I was a can a day for 26 years. I made a plan, went to my doctor and we decided to try the Budeprion (Wellbutrin). Went on it for 10 days and quit the day after Thanksgiving. I am 10 days nicotine free for the first time in 26 years. For me , making a plan and getting medical help has been the ticket. And lots of praying, with God all things are possible. Like Stumpgrinder, my addiction was serious and if I can go 10 days without chew anyone can. Make a plan and run at it not from it.

·
Professional Salesman
9,757 Posts
I quit when I went to basic training. I was young and only had been dipping a few years, but I was a can a day guy.

Basic training outlawed it the month before I attended. I would dip the instant coffee from MREs to have something in my lip. When I left basic didn't miss it at all.

·
Registered
296 Posts
When I quit cigarettes 20 years I had to avoid activities that I normally associated with having a cigarette. These will probably be different for dipping, but you know what they are. Plan to be alone because you will be *****y as hell and there's no sense in taking it out on friends and family. Nicotine is an addictive drug and you will have withdrawals. Be highly motivated. My wife threatening to leave me was enough for me. Make it through 3 days and the cravings will deminish, not gone but lessen. There's an old saying that there is noone more rightious than a reformed prostitute. That may mean avoiding your friends who still dip. It's amazing how little it takes to reinstitute the addiction and the only thing worse than having to quit once is to quit twice. Good luck, Merry Christmas, and if it helps to motivate, I have lost one friend to cancer of the mouth and throat, and one in treatment for it.

·
DS1262
2,137 Posts
Good luck on your decision to kick this filthy habit. If you need more motivation, just look at the pancreatic and oral cancer stats. I quit a 3 pack a day habit many years ao, cold turkey, and never looked back. It wasn't easy, but it sure was worthwhile.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Follow this and read his story. It contains graphic pictures, so beware.

Best of Luck to you. http://www.trashyourcan.org/mystory.htm
Ow that was sick. sad3sm I'm taking Welbitrin right now and plan to stop cigs and snuff friday. This will help. I have been dipping since I was 12 and smoking since I was about 20. I have quit smoking before but usally let something or someone get me sturred up and I will start again. I have never quit both at the same time. I hope my wife can handle the mood I'm going to be in this next week.
Good luck to everyone else quitting on the 1st.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts