2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a little Nissan Frontier 2WD w/a 4 banger. Great on gas, but I've got an 18' Flatbottom, and I need something with more power. I want a 4WD w/a V6 or V8. But man, the price of trucks nowadays is crazy. I'd definitely have to get something used, but even those that I've looked at are $20K to $25K. I just can't spend $30K -$40K on a truck, that's nuts! I kinda want a Tundra or Tacoma, or maybe even a Z71, but I'm picky on the color etc. Gotta be a 4x4 in silver, gray or pewter and ext. cab or 4-door, and reasonably priced for a man on a budget. I don't think my search will ever end!!!! Ahhhhhhh!

Maybe I need to just bite the bullet and splurge on a new one, and get a 2nd job. Well, no I can't do that either cuz that will cut out my fishin time! LOL! I'm screwed either way!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Look for a good used shortbed 4x4 Chevrolet with the 350 V-8. I have a 1990 with 230,000 miles that has been great since new. I wouldn't consider selling it. Mine is the Silverado. Perhaps you shouldn't be so picky about color, paint only costs a little and if it is what you want otherwise and a good deal, who cares what color it is. You already have a truck and either you are looking for a new family vehicle or something to tow your boat and one truck that does both might cost more than you are willing to pay. Maybe sell your little truck and buy two new (used) vehicles, one for the family and one for you and your hobbies.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Why do you need a 4X4 just to tow an 18' flatbottom? Just curious.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do quite a bit of fishing. Not just in my boat. I usually go surf fishing about once or twice every couple of weeks anywhere from SLP to Sargent. Plus I'd like to go surf fishing down on PINS sometime too. The sand can be bad at times. So the 4x4 has nothing to do with towing my boat.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Get a Ride with STYLE

I don't know about you, but I absolutely love the look of an old Chevy/ GMC. Say 1980-1988. I have a 1985 GMC Jimmy 4x4 with a 6" lift. 35" BFG Mud Terrains. I get comments like "nice truck", "that thing is awesome", "wanna sell your truck", at gas stations, and stop lights all the time. You can find 'em pretty easily on ebay or autotrader. Mine has a brand new crate GM 350 (less than 5000 miles), a/c, manual transmission with new clutch, new interior, cd player, upgraded exhaust, new paint, on an on. I paid $6500 for it. With the top off, it's even more awesome.

I can't see spending $20k- $35k on a "new" truck- with no style. All the new stuff is the same... get a classic (that's just as good or better mechanically- easier and cheaper to work on for you OR your mechanic) and stand out for much much less. Drive in style.

I wish I had a picture to post, but I don't right now. If you're still undecided in a few days, I'll post a pic of what you can find for well under $10k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts